Skin Between Toes Is Cut

Guest ErinT

Max went outside today and returned with the webbing/skin between his pinkie and next toe on his right hind leg totally cut. It's bleeding, and I've washed it a few times. What do I need to do? I'll call the vet on Monday but it's Saturday night.

Split web. My guys have all done this. I had it stitched and it healed and I have just kept it clean and bandaged and it healed. I would clean it up (no peroxide) and either bandage or place a baby sock on the foot-- also need to prevent licking.

I'm sure others will chime in- its a common injury.

I would soak his toes in a combination of epson salt and a little Bernadene. I get a old tubberware and make a solution and place his toes in.

Dry and put antibacterial on and place sock over with some tape.

I do this for my grey who has some toe issues.

As long as he is clean, he should be fine.

Guest KennelMom

Try to keep it clean and dry. Beyond the first cleaning I don't really even do much except keep an eye on it...dogs are pretty good about tending to it, just make sure they don't obsess. A sock can help if that happens.

This happened to my girl. It took a very long time to heal. Have read of some people's vets stitching the webbing but I chose what I thought was a more conservative approach. We simply did wound care, allowing it to heal with no webbing. It did ooze serum for a couple days. I bought cotton toddler socks, using them to hoping to protect the wound from dirt. We put PAWZ dog boots over the sock when she went outside to keep it dry. Whenever possible I left the sock off to increase air flow. At one point she was licking it a lot & I noticed some redness & inflammation. Soaking in a dilute Betadyne solution helped a great deal but it was sometimes a challenge to ensure it was dry before putting the sock back on. By far one of the hardest parts was keeping her from reinjuring it before it healed. Leash walking went on practically forever or so it seemed. It healed well. You would never know it happened unless you checked between her toes to see the lack of webbing.

Hope your pup heals quickly.

It can be a difficult area for stitching. Thane's stitches didn't hold for long so the vet finally put glue there. Other than that we just kept it clean and dry as possible.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

when this has happened to one of my hounds I just keep the area clean with a warm water rinse and a topical of some kind to keep infection out and let it heal on it's own. Even if your dog was to go to the vet tonight there is not much the vet could do that is going to be of much help. Stitches are probably not going to hold anyway, and if you wait until Monday the healing process will be so far along that stitches won't be possible.

This just happened at my house tonight. I soaked the foot in epsom salt and have it vet wrapped so she can't lick it.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17