Dr Recommended Aspirin

nessa

Is bayer aspirin safe for greyhounds, what about tylenol. I keep getting confusing information regarding a mild pain med. My girl does not need anything stronger at this time but the Dr recommended aspiring for a mild sore muscle in her right front leg, but not an anti-inflammatory.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by nessa

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Guest greybookends

No Tylenol.

As for aspirin I am trying to remember the dosage. My vet told me you can give far more than just one. It was 325mg for every certain amount of weight. I wish I could remember. But it was something like I could have given mine about 2 at a time. He did caution not to do it for an extended amount of time because aspirin is an anti coagulant and you could end up with bleeding issues. But for a short period of time it was ok. Check with your vet.

In general aspirin is not recommended for a length of time in GHs- tend to cause GI bleeds (I'm not including the low dose aspirin given for Renal disease-GN). Although it is a OTC NSAID it doesn't make it safer for your hound.

If your vet still recommends its use please administer it with food .

For the record Tylenol can be used for dogs BUT!! It must be a very calculated correct dose so it's never recommended that it's given without explicate Dr calculated dosing ( for example Tylenol with codeine had been a benefit with dogs in extreme pain). I only post this as an FYI-please never give Tylenol without a Drs orders!!

Ascriptin is good; it's asprin buffered with something to protect the stomach.

If the pain keeps up, I'd ask him to do an x-ray.

Ditto

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest Greytluv

Ascriptin is good; it's asprin buffered with something to protect the stomach.

If the pain keeps up, I'd ask him to do an x-ray.

:nod

This is what I give mine. Not very often. Just if I think they've strained something.

I gave Wendy one aspirin for pain and it caused a gastric bleed; I almost lost her. Aspirin is recommended for pain relief in the book Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound by Blythe,Gannon, Craig and Fegan.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I gave Wendy one aspirin for pain and it caused a gastric bleed; I almost lost her. Aspirin is recommended for pain relief in the book Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound by Blythe,Gannon, Craig and Fegan.

Oh thank you for chiming in. For the love of me I couldn't remember your girls name but, I sure as heck remember her case. Aspirin should not be given unless supervised or recommended by your veterinarian.

What about the 1/4 of 81mg for post strokes that Dr. Couto recommends? I give it to my 2 greyhounds as they both had strokes. My male had a stroke the same day as Dr Marin's (Dr. Coutos cohart) greyhound had one. She was able to get a MRI and saw the actual clot! I do worry about giving even that small of a dose....

What about the 1/4 of 81mg for post strokes that Dr. Couto recommends? I give it to my 2 greyhounds as they both had strokes. My male had a stroke the same day as Dr Marin's (Dr. Coutos cohart) greyhound had one. She was able to get a MRI and saw the actual clot! I do worry about giving even that small of a dose....

I mentioned this in my first post. 20mgs daily is a big difference from 325mgs + daily.

I gave 20mgs daily to my girl daily (and she was on pred- normally a no-no) per Dr Coutos instructions and she did well with the protocol. I always gave it with a meal.

Here's a good article from a vet clinic about aspirin, which also provides a link to the abstract of a study that shows how aspirin is very likely to cause stomach ulcers.

I prefer not to use aspirin as a pain medication for dogs at all. For clients who can't afford the prescription options or insist on trying something OTC, I warn about the potential risks and recommend no more than 10 mg/kg (roughly 5 mg/lb) 1-2 times daily, and for no more than 3-4 days in a row.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Thanks for the link to the article although somewhat upsetting. My Dr did instruct us to give the aspirin and i LOVE my vet, but i do not always agree with him when he suggests this. She may have a mild muscle ache and I do not want to give anything stronger. I do not think that is needed. So I guess I can try and have her rest it, walk slower, or less for a few days.

Thanks again

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Thanks for the link to the article although somewhat upsetting. My Dr did instruct us to give the aspirin and i LOVE my vet, but i do not always agree with him when he suggests this. She may have a mild muscle ache and I do not want to give anything stronger. I do not think that is needed. So I guess I can try and have her rest it, walk slower, or less for a few days.

Thanks again

Just want to say it one more time--don't assume it's a muscle ache if it's still there in a few days. Greyhound limps that have no ready explanation need to be taken seriously.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 8 years later...
On 1/22/2012 at 12:49 PM, GeorgeofNE said:

Just want to say it one more time--don't assume it's a muscle ache if it's still there in a few days. Greyhound limps that have no ready explanation need to be taken seriously.

Hi GeorgeofNE, can you elaborate on your comment about greyhounds limps please?

Thank you

Erin

31 minutes ago, Cannycoyote said:

Hi GeorgeofNE, can you elaborate on your comment about greyhounds limps please?

Thank you

Erin

Greyhound limps can be from anything minor like a corn on a pad which is still painful for the hound, to osteosarcoma and a hundred conditions in between those two.  If your hound doesn't normally limp from a previously known injury, every limp needs to be taken seriously and checked out by the vet again if it doesn't go away with the prescribed treatment.  Many people tend to jump right to the conclusion of osteosarcoma when a dog starts to limp, and while that is actually the worst case scenario, it is the reason we take limping very seriously.  There can still be a hundred other minor things causing the limp though. Let a professional find the reason for the limp.  Sometimes it takes multiple appointments to locate the actual issue since the hounds can't tell us what what's hurting. 

Others here including GeorgeofNE can elaborate on their experiences, but don't let it scare you as many of us have dealt with serious medical issues because of having multiple dogs for years. There is a ton of great greyhound experience here. 

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life