Chewie - Non-Grey (On The Outside, Anyway)

Guest falconschild

Guest falconschild

Our good old girl had to leave us yesterday. The first dog Allan and I owned together. We found this little black and tan fuzzy puppy at the Humane Society, oh so long ago. For Allan, it was love at first sight. Because the puppy looked like a tiny little Wookiee-baby, she was called Chewie, despite the fact she was in fact a girl. :lol Chewie taught us a lot about dogs in general...and a lot about SA. She loved her crate - being in her crate meant that, no matter what mayhem occurred while we were away, it by default wasn't blamable on her. :rolleyes: When Chewie was a couple of months old, Sly joined the household...our first greyhound. Once Sly realized that Chewie was, in fact, a dog - despite the fact that she was awful short and furry to his mind - he set about "bringing up baby properly." Chewie always believed firmly that she was a greyhound, and that some day she'd grow into her long hair and have the legs to be able to keep up. She bowed to greet you like the greys all did, she'd run with them in the sprint lane - a greyhound in heart and spirit, if not in body.

Years passed, and that black and tan face began to whiten, as did her paws, funnily enough. Just after Christmas, she began to get weak in the back end - likely arthritis, for a dog of her age, said the vet. Late last week, we discovered she could no longer walk. So yesterday, Allan took her back to the vet for another examination. And we discovered the monster lurking within her had come out of hiding - hemangiosarcoma. It had surrounded her heart and was starting to compress her esophagus; had metastasized to her spine, and caused two vertebrae to seem to shatter. Never once did she give a SOD like a greyhound might - never said a word of complaint. When we saw the x-rays, Allan and I knew what we had to do. So we let Chewie go, to find Sly and Gin and Toby and Norman, to run across the fields of the afterworld on paws that have wings now. So if you happen to see a greyhound out of the corner of your eye that doesn't look quite like a greyhound, that may well be our Chew-Chew.

I miss you, baby girl. Your daddy's heart broke yesterday, because you were his heart dog. Merlin the Siamese misses you, too. We love you...and we'll see you again someday.

Oh Rox and Allan I'm so sorry. Those little ones always hold a special place in our hearts. Godspeed Chewy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry. She sounded like a wonderful friend to everyone in your family.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

So very, very sorry.:f_pink

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest falconschild

I'll have to see if I can find a photo. She hated having her picture taken with a passion. Any time she spotted a camera, she'd run the other way. Silly girl. :lol I think Allan and I might have managed to fake her out with a cell phone to take her picture with, though.

Ah...here we go. My brother managed to catch her lying down. She's giving him the stink eye for taking her photo, as you can see. The other two dogs are his, Jordan (left) and Shadow, Chewie's favorite playmates. She loved to trot across the yard and visit my brother and sister-in-law.

photo.jpg

Edited by falconschild

What an absolutely lovely little girl :wub: . I'm so sorry she couldn't stay with you.

Godspeed, Chewie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So sorry for the loss of your Chewie.

She sounds like a real sweetie!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 They never get to stay long enough, do they?

Godspeed Chewie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)