Swallowing All The Time

Hi All,

Very strange behavior from my greyhound this morning. I was getting ready to take Zero out and all of a sudden he started swallowing like something was stuck in his throat or he was going vomit, but he never ate anything. I took him outside and he immediately started eating the slush on the ground and the grass. He kept doing that no matter where we went in the yard. He peed, I brought him back inside, still swallowing. His breathing seems to be ok. I gave him his breakfast thinking that it could wash down whatever was in his throat, but he was still swallowing. Now it's about 1/2 later and he's still doing it. He's also extremely clingy to me, following me around the house more than usual. I don't know what this is. If it keeps up for much longer I'm going to take him to the emergency room. Has anyone ever seen this in their greyhound?

Sincerely,

Tony (Zero's daddy)

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Oh, and really bad gas. We were out on the golf course walking yesterday morning and he found something small on the ground that he ate quicker than I could react to. Who knows what it was.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

I would take him in, it's possible you could be dealing with bloat. My bulldog does the swallowing bit when he needs to vomit. If Zero is doing this and nothing is coming up and he's acting distressed you may have a real problem on your hands. This is information I pasted from a website describing the signs of bloating.

Dogs with sudden bloat will get a hard, swollen abdomen, which, if you tap it with your finger, will thump like a drum. They wil also be uncomfortable and will arch their backs, lick their lips, drool heavily, and try to swallow. They will try to vomit, although nothing will come out. These symptoms mean that your dog is seriously ill, and you will need to get him to your vet or an emergency clinic

Usually you see that with either nausea (not likely, or he'd've tried to vomit), something caught in the throat (can be innocuous, like a little piece of tickly grass), or a scratch in the throat. You could try feeding a piece of slightly damp bread and see if that helps.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I just took him out again and he pooped normally. Could it just be an upset tummy? When I was growing up my parents always had dogs and I've never seen a dog exhibit this sort of behavior for so long.

Sounds like it could be gi upset causing nausea. Am not sure emergency room is required but I'd likely get him to the regular vet when they open. They could give him something for nausea. The only that might... Nevermind. Just read your next message. What he ate was probably nothing worrisome but in light of that I might be inclined to do ER. He isn't drinking a lot is he?

Sounds like an upset stomach to me. I wouldn't try and feed him any more. He may vomit in a bit or he may not.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Gurgling sounds in his tummy, abdomin is soft, he seems to be calming down now. I'm going to call his vet. They open in 1/2 hour

Gurgling sounds in his tummy, abdomin is soft, he seems to be calming down now. I'm going to call his vet. They open in 1/2 hour

I would take him in, it's possible you could be dealing with bloat. My bulldog does the swallowing bit when he needs to vomit. If Zero is doing this and nothing is coming up and he's acting distressed you may have a real problem on your hands. This is information I pasted from a website describing the signs of bloating.

Dogs with sudden bloat will get a hard, swollen abdomen, which, if you tap it with your finger, will thump like a drum. They wil also be uncomfortable and will arch their backs, lick their lips, drool heavily, and try to swallow. They will try to vomit, although nothing will come out. These symptoms mean that your dog is seriously ill, and you will need to get him to your vet or an emergency clinic

Just for the record they may NOT have any stomach swelling showing. Slim DIED of it after emergency surgery and his stomach was NEVER enlarged at all.

Edited by racindog

Hi All,

Just got back from vet. She took an x-ray df Zero's mid section and it looked normal. She said probably whatever he ate on the golf course may have upset his stomach and may have caused some acid reflux. She gave him a shot of and perscribed Pepsid.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Sincerely,

Tony

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has IBD and once he was doing the same thing except he was 'panicking' too. I rushed him to the vet thinking it was bloat (they thought so as well) But when they got him on his back for the Xray he let out a HUUUUUUGE fart. He felt much better after that :P I now refer to that whole incident as his '$300 fart bill'

Hope Zero is back to his old self in no time

I've seen something similar in Lucy twice - the first time was after she ate some tuna fish she got an upset stomach and she was doing the licking and I was at the vet in 30 minutes because she was also gassy (couldn't get comfortable) and in this case, it was likely a precursor to bloat. We got the shot to relieve the nausea and I was able to take her home.

The second time was just recently, she got into something in the yard and she started to massively drool (I mean about 1 cup of drool in 20 minutes or so). I thought it was a seizure at first but when I realized something else was going on we hit the ER vet. By the time we got to the vet (about 90 minutes from start) she was already dehydrated enough that she had to stay overnight and get fluids. The vet said that it was likely started from something that caused a "bad taste" in her mouth and she just went into "reaction overdrive".

Edited by MaryJane

Soul has IBD and once he was doing the same thing except he was 'panicking' too. I rushed him to the vet thinking it was bloat (they thought so as well) But when they got him on his back for the Xray he let out a HUUUUUUGE fart. He felt much better after that :P I now refer to that whole incident as his '$300 fart bill'

btdt We had $500 burp though :blush

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

btdt We had $500 burp though :blush

+1

Glad Zero is okay! Better to be safe than sorry in those situations.