How Much Pepcid?

Guest driser

Guest driser

We've read the suggestions to try Pepcid for our Greyhound who so easily throws up bile in early morning before breakfast. Do we need to first take him to the vet to try Pepcid??

We've read the suggestions to try Pepcid for our Greyhound who so easily throws up bile in early morning before breakfast. Do we need to first take him to the vet to try Pepcid??

No need for the vet. Bile early in the morning often means that the stomach is empty. We occasionally have that with Rocket. If it happens well before breakfast (in the midle of the night), I usually give him a piece of bread. If it's within an hour or so of his normal breakfast, I just go ahead and feed him.

I would try a small snack right before bedtime before trying the Pepcid and see if the problem goes away.

When I have had to use Pepcid, I usually just give him 1 Pepcid and it seems to settle him out.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest driser

Pepcid is a benign enough medication-- I would give it try. Might be best to give a dose at bedtime prior to a late night snack. How much does your hound weigh??

He weighs 80lbs

There is a dosing range but, the dose I'm familiar with would be 18mgs for a 80lb dog. I'm sure 20mgs would be fine for him. Occasionally, diarrhea may be a noted side effect- if he develops soft stool you might try reducing the dosage.

Don't forget to give a snack too!

Depends on the weight of the dog of course, but a child dose ought to be OK.

I second the giving of bread last thing at night because it definitely stops Peggy waking up with acid reflux.

The vet gave me Omeprazle for her at first but the bread fixed the problem.

Guest driser

Ugh, if diarrhea is a possible side effect, we'd like to try bread first. He's already overcoming diarrhea from eating poop on a walk at the start of the weekend. we've never given him bread before. We eat wheat sandwich bread. That's ok??

Ugh, if diarrhea is a possible side effect, we'd like to try bread first. He's already overcoming diarrhea from eating poop on a walk at the start of the weekend. we've never given him bread before. We eat wheat sandwich bread. That's ok??

Absolutely try a snack at night first. Can be a piece of bread or just give your hound a bit of his kibble.

Or if he's already having soft stool I think you should keep it simple and just give some kibble. Try that for a few days then, if it's not helping introduce the Pepcid or the Prilosec.

Edited by tbhounds

Just another thought-- you might want to drop off a fecal sample so your vet can test for intestinal parasites. If he's been eating "strangers" stool and has been exhibiting gi upset he may have an intestinal parasite.

Yep his diarrhea has been liquid poo for over 48 hours so taking him (and fecal sample) to vet tomorrow afternoon. He also threw up on a walk today and he's never thrown up in the middle of the day so I think the poo he ate may have given him a bug. We gave him a piece of bread this morning at 4:30 when I got up to use the washroom..I think he thought he'd died and gone to heaven being given food in the wee hours of the morning. Great thing, he then slept til the alarm went off!