Atlas Aka Jahoda's Spanky

Jiffer

It is with a heavy heart that I share the passing of our beloved Atlas. :weep

He arrived home 7.5 years ago in the mid of summer. He spent his retired life being spoiled.. if it wasn't a new bed, treat or stuffie, it was trips for ice cream or to the park for a nice leisurely walk. He loved car rides and it usually didn't matter where he was going. He was so easy to please and an even easier dog to care for. He was bombproof... nothing phased him, nothing stopped him. His determination and stubbornness were admirable... you couldn't tell him no if he had his mind made up. It cracked me up every time. Most recently, I was taking him for a walk and while he wasn't able to do a long one, we'd take short ones to get him out and about. I decided to go up the street nearby and then turn around so he wouldn't have to walk too far. Only Mr. Man had a different idea. He wanted to do the whole block. I tried to convince him to turn back, but he refused. He threw what I can only call a 2 year old's tantrum... foot stomping, whining, the whole nine yards. I gave in and you know, he actually did the whole walk without labouring. It shocked me, but in retrospect, it shouldn't have. That was Mr. Atlas.

Unfortunately, his aging body began to deteriorate a few years ago when we discovered that his thyroid had largely stopped working. Medication and monitoring and he stabilized again. He enjoyed his walks again, and regained weight that he'd lost. Things were looking up again. In October/November this year, he was diagnosed with occult congestive heart failure and early renal failure. His heart was quite enlarged. But once again things looked up as the medication helped improve his breathing and stamina. Unfortunately, we knew from the day of diagnosis that we were working on borrowed time. CHF would eventually win.

Yesterday, he began to pant heavily, his heart was racing and I knew that we were looking at the end before I even brought him in. They applied oxygen and an ekg. The results confirmed my fears. His heart was failing.

At just before 11 pm, Atlas crossed the bridge with his mom and dad loving on him. It was quick.

I hope that whereever he is, he's found angel Icarus and angel Echo. He and Icarus were inseparable and he grieved for Miss Echo when she left us last year. They are together again and now I have three angels to miss.

Run free my dear boy! I can see you goofily trotting with those large ears flapping in the breeze and your tongue lolling out. I miss you so very much. Words just cannot express...

AttyDec11.jpg

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a loving tribute and a very special picture of his footsie. :grouphug I'm so sorry for your loss.

:f_red :f_red :f_red

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What a huge hole in your heart! He sounds awesome. I am so very sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so sorry for your loss of a very special boy, Atlas.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

You were a Good Boy, Atlas. Godspeed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm very sorry. Your three angels are watching over you, I'm sure. Beautiful tribute.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about Atlas. How terribly sad.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Beautiful tribute to your special boy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed Atlas :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown