Need Mushy Canned Food

Charlotte had the remainder of her teeth pulled Monday due to auto-immune issue gingivitis. While her gums heal she needs soft mushy food. Vet recommended just soaking her kibble in water to soften it up but it takes too long. Right now we are using Hills Prescription A/D but it is too rich for long term use, both in terms of calories and cost. Whatever canned food I've used in the past is too chunky for a pup with no teeth! I'd rather not use my blender for dog food processing, so any suggestions for me and my Gummy Bear?

Most brands of dog food have a corresponding canned food ... I'd use that so that you don't have to deal with digestive issues caused by changing food brands. And may I suggest (as the cheapest solution) -- consider mixing up the kibble & liquid (water, broth, whatever) in advance and store it in the fridge to deal with the softening time. I'd recommend setting aside 2 matching containers for this - one for morning & one for night feeding (having them matching ensures that they'll take up the same space in the fridge, while allowing you to clean the containers in between meals).

good luck to Charlotte ... I hope she heals quickly & feels better now that bad teeth are not hurting.

You might also try smashing the kibble: put it in a sturdy plastic bag and bash it with a rolling pin! It makes a soft gruel with much less soaking time.

Best wishes to her! I'm sure she'll be feeling much better soon!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest mirthlesstroll

There's this roll food in the fridge at Petsmart called Pet Fresh. It's soft, and you can mash it, or cut it into chunks. It costs more than kibble, but it's not crazy expensive.

I think you'd be surprised how little she needs her teeth to eat.

My dog doesn't chew his kibble. I am 100% certain he could eat it without a tooth in his head! Canned food might be "chunky" but it isn't hard. She'll just suck it right on down and probably love it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I like Costco canned dog food .. good consistency for rolling into balls to pop pills,,

and easy to mash into kibble for gravy ~~~

should be good for the toothless one :rolleyes:

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Sending best wishes that she heals up nicely. One of mine had 23 teeth pulled just before I got her. I put warm water over her food and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. She had no trouble eating.

Edited to add: it was small kibbles which made eating easier too.

Edited by june

Guest ProfoundLove

Fromm makes a nice canned Pate'. It would be VERY mushy and would be easy on the gums. It comes in Chicken, Duck, and Salmon formulas. Fromm food line has good nutritional value.

Poor Charlotte. :kiss2

My latest secret weapons that come in a can are:

(1) Merrick Working Dog Stew (the first ingredient is beef tripe); and

(2) Merrick "before BG grain" 96% Tripe (black and green label).

I don't mean to be overly graphic :puke but the food has the look and texture of vomit or the Big D rather than a pate or stew. Easy to eat.

I adopted a now 13 yr old senior last year who only has about 6-7 teeth left. He eats everything but really goes bonkers over the tripe and acts like it is the cat's meow. :lol:

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Maggie seconds the Merrick canned food suggestion.

Right before prime sunbathing season, she goes on a hunger strike (to lose the 2# of winter weight). She always gives in for the Merrick canned though.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I think you'd be surprised how little she needs her teeth to eat.

My dog doesn't chew his kibble. I am 100% certain he could eat it without a tooth in his head! Canned food might be "chunky" but it isn't hard. She'll just suck it right on down and probably love it.

I'm more concerned with choking hazard than chewability.

Gee had 8 teeth removed and was eating her kibble soaked in water the next day. She was also eating TOTW canned food, even with the chunks with no issues what so ever.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Gee had 8 teeth removed and was eating her kibble soaked in water the next day. She was also eating TOTW canned food, even with the chunks with no issues what so ever.

Thanks for this...guess I'm being a nervous Nellie...BTW, what is TOTW food? Not familar with this acronym.

Guest Energy11

We love Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Senior canned! It is wonderful food, soft, with four types of meat and veggies, AND, it is reasonable. About $25.00 for a case of 24 large cans :)) Good Luck!

Guest verthib

I soak mine. It only take 5 mins or do. Whoever mentioned using Ol' Roy or Alpo--- EEEEKKK. Nasty cheap full of filler crap. Don't use those, plllllllease.

Guest BrianRke

There's this roll food in the fridge at Petsmart called Pet Fresh. It's soft, and you can mash it, or cut it into chunks. It costs more than kibble, but it's not crazy expensive.

My dogs LOVE this stuff!!!

My dogs like the Castor and Pollux canned food. You can also get the 98% canned food that is 98% meat. That stuff is almost runny. Its really good food and I think Petco sells it. It comes in Buffalo, chicken, and beef.

Guest greytkidsmom

Our boy is missing most of his teeth and had the front part of his upper jawbone removed. (Think of a greyhound that now looks like a bulldog)

After his surgery we got one of those "magic bullet" blenders, pulverized his kibble and mixed it with water to make mush.

We have also used Innova small breed food (the kibbles are the size of an aspirin) and mix it with water to make a slurry.

Now that he is healed we use his usual kibble (Nutro Ultra Adult formula - kibbles are the size of a kidney bean) and mix it with lots of water.

We haven't had any choking problems - even when he ate the mouse he found in the backyard :o

Canned food gave him horrible diarrhea and was really expensive - 2.5 cans twice a day was cost prohibitive.