One Hound Or Two?

Guest Tiptons_Mom

Guest Tiptons_Mom

Okay, so this may seem like an obvious question, but in the opinion of the group, how much more work is a second hound? I realize it would be double food, vet visits, flea/tick and heartworm meds, etc. But how much more work, is it really?

I feel that Tipton would really benefit from another greyhound as he is on the less confident side and still struggles with SA on occasion.

After seeing him at the dog park and playing with the other dogs, I see how much happier he is with other dogs around, but want to get a true sense of those here how much change to expect.

I have even gone as far as taken him to my adoption group and we met another dog that I feel would be a great fit. They got along wonderfully, and he would be ready to come home with us on Saturday.

Nobody can really answer this question for you. I have three hounds right now. I have had as many as four at a time. To me, two are just as easy as one. Three is only slightly more work than two. Three is actually my perfect number. There are people here who seem to struggle managing one hound and others who manage large packs effortlessly. The best thing for you to do in my opinion is foster with intent to adopt and see for yourself how having two dogs works for you. Good luck!

I have to agree with Nancy, two really isn't all that much more work than one in my opinion. I remember adding Andy and thinking how easy that was and he kept Emmy so happy. Given you add the right dog and the dogs get along well, it really doesn't disrupt much for very long. Add 8 more and you add more work. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest GreyGary91806

No work at all!!! Other than the $ difference, they almost seem more content with just lounging with eachother and playing like mad men!!

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Unless your a leash walker the work doesnt really increase. Expenses double (obviously) but its really no more "work" to have 2 vs 1 or even 3 vs 2 for that matter.

Guest giantsfan

We added a second after only having Tony ~4 months. The adjustment to walking 2 of them took a week or so - Winnie was straight off the track and Tony was used to doing his own thing on walks - and she had some initial issues (UTI), but the day to day regular stuff didn't change. After we got our walks worked out and that pesky UTI cleared up, it was really no different than having 1 dog.

Guest jvandover

We got Chad a couple months after adopting Lovie, and I have to agree with a couple other posts here, there is no work difference. You might get a little tangled on a leash walk, but that is it. I don't consider the extra 30 or so seconds preparing a second meal extra work, and a lot of times they entertain each other so it offsets it anyways. Plus it is SO much fun to see them together. No more work at all.

Once you get into the new rhythm of two, it is honestly very easy. But the first week or two can often have you wondering what on earth you were thinking. That's why I am not really a proponent of fostering or sitting to determine if you like it. You need to be committed to establishing a new household and to any new dog because occasionally it can be a bit of work.

Also you may find that although Tipton is excited and plays with the play group dogs, he will not seem excited or to be playful with his new housemate. That is not a bad thing at all. It it can be pretty normal for them to be more mellow at home with each other. What is great is that play together or not, they usually just seem so easy with having another greyhound in their home with them; so natural together cause for them it is.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Unless your a leash walker the work doesnt really increase. Expenses double (obviously) but its really no more "work" to have 2 vs 1 or even 3 vs 2 for that matter.

Even as a "leash walker" it's no biggie. I used to walk all 4 at once - no problem!

It's not that much more work. More poop to pick up, but you have to pick it up whether there's one or 10. :lol More food to lug around, more bowls to wash, more beds to wash, etc....

Since we adopted our first greyhound 10+ years ago, we have had three at most. Right now we are down to one, and I will say there is a certain 'calmness' in just having one. After all those years of three, one is a welcome thing to me. I am enjoying it and so is Jack, since he gets ALL the attention. Next week we'll get our friends' three greyhounds for a week, while they are on vacation, so my 'need' for multiples will be satisfied for a while. But I'm sure I'll be happy to see them go home at the end of the visit. :lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

They are a lot more work if they have baggage. But then, they would have been more work even as a single dog.

I currently have 3, but I had 4 for eight years. It's not that much more work, but it certainly is 3 times the entertainment!

Now here is something for you to think about.

A while back, there was a thread regarding soft muzzles vs the hard basket muzzles for greys to wear. It was started because of a horrific accident regarding two greys during a LGRA race.

My Opal was one of the two involved in the collision. Thankfully she survived unhurt. Luna on the other hand didn't get up. She had a spinal injury.

This was one month ago.

I volunteered my services to babysit her over the xmas holidays while her mom went to Fla for a family visit. One planned WAY ahead of time, before the accident.

When Luna arrived at my house on Thurs evening (before xmas), she could get around only with the use of a harness and sling. She was struggling to barely stand. Anyway, an hour after her Mom left, my three idiots went flying thru their dog door at 45 MPH (something they normally do when they think they hear something outside) creating a vortex that sucked Luna in. Luna had moved from the living room to the dining room before she realized she was up and moving on her own accord. From that moment on, I couldn't keep her still. She walked around my house (one story) the entire 5 days I had her. I actually had to hold onto her when we went outside for fresh air and and potties. By the time her Mom picked her up Tues evening, Luna was running (awkwardly) in my back yard chasing my three holigans! It was nothing short of a Christmas miracle. But both her mom and I agree, it was the presence of my three girls that encouraged Luna to get up and get going.

here's the blog if anyone is interested.Luna's Blog

So, I firmly believe that another hound can definitely help one that may need it.

I can't imagine only having one dog. They are easy together, with the only real issue being watching out for a bit of bullying which occurs if Paige is feeling a bit under the weather. But they keep each other occupied and entertained and happy.

Edited to add: the only thing I'd also say is that you need to be careful not to expect dog 2 to be the same as dog 1. Our two are very compatible but they are also very different with Paige being much more withdrawn and less demonstrative than Brandi. As a result, it took me a longer time to feel a strong bond and connection to her compared to Brandi, but for a while I seriously thought about returning her. Not fair to her, but it taught me that I needed to try to see each dog on their own merits and as individuals.

Edited by Brandiandwe

We were surprised it was so little extra 'work'. We are getting our 3rd in a couple days, too and are not expecting a dramatic change.

Nice!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Awww!!!! I'm so happy for all of you and especially Tipton.

To answer your question, for us, it has never been a big deal to have 2 dogs instead of just 1. After Hailey left, we needed another dog because Sara was very depressed. But, I enjoy having a full house. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 kids and a husband. The 2nd dog is the least of my worries!!! He just goes with the flow.

ETA - if it wasn't for the finances, I'd have 3 dogs!!! If I had a bigger house, I had even more dogs than that!

Edited by Yankeegreyhound

Guest WhiteWave

Well I can't really say how much more trouble 2 is than 1 b/c I don't think there has been a time in my entire life that I've lived with less than 3 dogs.

But I would guess not much more work. We have 8 now and other than doing a ton of laundry, it isn't that hard to me. I can wash, clean ears and do toenails on all mine faster than some people with just one! :) Cost is our biggest issue.

I think it depends on the dog. My second one was a huge amount of extra work. After she passed away, I got another to keep Phene company and she was no extra work at all.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

We added our second (Darcy) about eight months after adoption our first (Celeste). The costs aside, it wasn't all that much more work. Celeste taught Darcy the ropes which helped a lot. We really didn't even notice that much of a change when adding our third (Bonny). The biggest difference came when we added our fourth (Faye Oops). One person could no longer walk the pack. Faye Oops passed away on December 1, so we're back down to three. I don't anticipate us having any less than two.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I've never had more than one dog of my own at a time, but I've been a serial foster home for some time.

It is more work at first - how much more depends on the dog. Some dogs waltz in like they've lived here forever. They are almost no extra work at all even at the start. Others have some issues that can take a moderate to excessive amounts of time to resolve. However, if you are adopting a dog that has been fostered, presumably the foster home has already done the work overcome those issues :) (Of course I guess that depends on the group. The group I foster for won't allow a foster of mine to be shown to anyone until his/her issues are resolved, or at least almost completely resolved).

Also, good advice above to not expect your 2nd dog to be anything like your current dog. They really are unique (some more unique than others :lol )

If you feel like you want to add a second hound, I say go for it! (and give us lots of pictures!)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

For me the transition from 1 to 2 was easy; both times. I now have three and still not much more work, but in spring and summer I struggle to keep up with the mud and my yard is in horrible shape. I love my girls, but I have to say that in about a million years when one of them is no longer with me I'll be down to 2 permanently. B)

Guest greymama002

Two hounds, for us, was really not much more work than one, but was MUCH more fun, both for them and for us watching them play. Our 1st 2 were a calm confident hound, and a timid quirky one. The timid one, Ruffie, quickly became Pulsar's shadow, & has blossomed so much looking up to his more confident "big brother".

Now, when we got the 3rd hound, that became quite a bit more challenging to manage.....

Guest mirinaaronsmom

I was just the opposite. Two hounds took twice as much time for everything! I was a bit miffed at people who said two were just as easy as one. It's just me, so that may have been part of my problem. But we got into a routine before long and I wouldn't have it any other way now. When I lost Aaron, it just didn't feel right having only one hound, so I started fostering (until I failed with Mojo). One of the reasons I wanted a second hound was so that Aaron would have someone to play with at the dog park. Well, that plan was a failure. They were fine together, but never cuddled or played, although they did like to run zoomies in the back yard. And that's OK. Like others have said, each hound is different, and special.

Guest Tiptons_Mom

Saturday is the big day, Jerome (we will call him Duncan) will be coming home with us.

Here are a few pics of the sweet young man. How about those ears, huh? What a looker.

Tipton being 3 and Duncan being only 20 months should be interesting.

Tipton is so laid back and little insecure and Duncan is a little more confident and energetic, but they got along very well at the adoption center meeting, even sharing a stuffy.

I can already see a difference in their personalities, but I am hoping for a nice balance. :goodluck

I also hope that Duncan's presence will help Tipton with his SA and Duncan's confidence will help bolster Tipton’s insecurity. I would love for me to be able to leave the room and not have my Tipton velcroed to my hip. I LOVE him, and that he wants to be with me, but I do sometimes need to go potty too. :lol

th_Wvs20Jerome20Face.jpgth_Wvs20Jerome20Body.jpg

I would love for me to be able to leave the room and not have my Tipton velcroed to my hip. I LOVE him, and that he wants to be with me, but I do sometimes need to go potty too. :lol

Love the happy snaps! Very handsome boy. But :lol :lol :lol at the above. Paige has sorted Brandi's SA, but now I have two hounds velcroed to me, not just one.