Weak 15 Year Old

Guest gordo1466

Guest gordo1466

We have a 15 year old that we adopted in June. She is and has been very weak in her hind leg area. We are currently using Yucca Intensive, Milk thistle extract and vitamins, no meds yet. I try to walk her 2-4 times a week. I walk our other 5 daily, but Suzy can't. I carry her upstairs at night and down in the morning because she can't do that many stairs. She has trouble

with the 2-3 stairs on our deck.

Does anyone have any experience with Reiki, Massage or Acupuncture treatments or anything else that works? If so, please let me know your experience. Also, does anyone know of a Reiki,

Massage therapist or Acupuncturist in the Toms River, NJ area?

thanks,

Gordo

Edited by gordo1466

Spencer just turned 11. But when he was 8, he manifested lumbosacral stenosis and would start to fall over when he lifted a leg to pee or when he would try to turn around by pivoting on his back legs. The vet recommended an acupuncture/chiropractor rehab vet, and we have managed it all this time without any meds at all. I would say two things: 1) start immediately if not sooner, and 2) do an Internet search for a practitioner who is certified. If I can find that list, I'll come back here and post the link.

ETA: acupuncture certified and at the bottom of this page chiropractor vets is a link to click to find those vets. If you can't find both certifications in one vet and have to choose, I'd choose acupuncture if it were me. Wishing you the very best of luck!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Dog bless you for opening your home and heart to a 15 y.o. My Brandi had rear end issues and I truly believe acupuncture/chiro on a regular basis helped. Also put in ramp over the stairs as it might be easier for the dog to walk up/down the ramp instead of trying to step up or down on the stairs.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I second the chiropractor, although s/he would probably want x-rays first. Not so sure you can manage any improvement, though... that's a pretty advanced age. Congratulations and welcome! We need pictures of your grand old girl!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Energy11

Hello~!

Like everyone else has said, God Bless you for opening your heart and home to a wonderful senior girl! You rock!

I have five (now all seniors) of my own, too!

When we used to live in Florida, I was with a group called GPA Senior Sanctuary of Florida. As part of helping out the seniors and students at The Chi Institute http://www.tcvm.com/ , volunteers would bring the senior greys up there about twice a month. The accupuncture and herb treatments really seemed to help some of the dogs! I am sure,if you contacted and Chi Institute, they might be able to help you.

Sending good luck and lots of love your way!

Dee and The Five

Sully's back end is pretty weak and stiff (he's 11). He goes to a chiropractor and it really seems to help him. Our vet has a chiro in once a week in the early morning before regular office hours, and the chiro also has his own practice and has evening hours- he has a certification that has to do with animal chiropractic.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

In addition to accupuncture we also did water therapy for our Toby. He walked on a treadmill under water and that did help with the muscles in his back legs. Silly boy did figure out how to stand on the sides of the treadmill instead of walking. My boy was such a silly clown.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Guest gordo1466

We have a 15 year old that we adopted in June. She is and has been very weak in her hind leg area. We are currently using Yucca Intensive, Milk thistle extract and vitamins, no meds yet. I try to walk her 2-4 times a week. I walk our other 5 daily, but Suzy can't. I carry her upstairs at night and down in the morning because she can't do that many stairs. She has trouble

with the 2-3 stairs on our deck.

Does anyone have any experience with Reiki, Massage or Acupuncture treatments or anything else that works? If so, please let me know your experience. Also, does anyone know of a Reiki,

Massage therapist or Acupuncturist in the Toms River, NJ area?

thanks,

Gordo

I forgot to mention that we also give her Dasuquine with MSM and anti-oxidents.