Sensitive Topic....

We adopted Hadji about 3 months ago. He's our fourth greyhound. All have licked their butts occasionally, but we noticed from the start that Hadji seems to be doing it more than any of the others did. He seems to be doing it more now than when we got him. There are no sores in the area, and he's on Revolution and I haven't seen any evidence of fleas (my first thought). Is this common in some dogs, or could this be caused by some parasite or infection? He seems very healthy, I'm not even sure if this is an issue or something I should visit the vet about. Any advice?

I didn't pay attention when Gracie kept licking her butt. And then the gland ruptured. A picture is worth a thousand licks:

DSC02970_edited.jpg

At this point she needed some antibiotics. If I'd known this rupture could happen I would have had her glands expressed.

On the good side of this, the vet said that once the gland ruptured it gave her much-needed relief.

Gracie has not had any other problems with glands. My mutt Pudge needs frequent gland-expressing so she doesn't get too big a build up.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

One of mine is a bit obsessive with butt licking. The vet determined it wasn't anal glands and we think it has to do with allergies. I'm not sure yet since the zyrtec doesn't seem to be stopping it. If the glands come up clear do ask about allergies or even OCD tendencies.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Doc was a butt licker. Our dogs anal glands are checked and emptied (if needed) monthly at the groomers when they get their nails done. His almost never had much in them.

Doc always had soft stools and so there was residue left behind after he did his duty. He was so very clean that he wanted to clean himself. We ended up keeping a box of tissues next to the door and after he would come in after pooing we would tell him to "present your buns', and he would turn and push his rear end toward us. lol.gif We would lift his tail, wipe him off and he would happily trot off afterwards, no longer having an itchy butt. It just became part of our routine.

It also stopped the butt licking in our house. blush.gif

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Thanks for the advice! I didn't consider the anal glands, none of my other dogs had a problem with them. OCD is a possibility. He's still adjusting and I thought the licking could be a calming signal. He never does it at night (he sleeps next to the bed, so we'd know), which all our other dogs did if they had a cut or scrape they were intent on turning into a huge wound. I'm going to watch and see if it's more prevalent after he poops. Hmmm, the thought of wiping his butt isn't very appealing, though!

• 1 month later...
Guest meggera

I have to admit this thread has been REALLY informative for me. I never knew about anal glands before this so now know something new to watch for and have done. Thanks for sharing this information!

I just had him at the vet and had his glands expressed, but the tech said there was little there, that he's just a butt licker. I guess that's good news?

Yeah...my Dustin's glands get funky - and it's kind of rough...it smells and he gets really fixated on his butt, poor thing....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Doc was a butt licker. Our dogs anal glands are checked and emptied (if needed) monthly at the groomers when they get their nails done. His almost never had much in them.

Doc always had soft stools and so there was residue left behind after he did his duty. He was so very clean that he wanted to clean himself. We ended up keeping a box of tissues next to the door and after he would come in after pooing we would tell him to "present your buns', and he would turn and push his rear end toward us. lol.gif We would lift his tail, wipe him off and he would happily trot off afterwards, no longer having an itchy butt. It just became part of our routine.

It also stopped the butt licking in our house. blush.gif

Timo gets a butt wipe after every poop. When we get back into the house after his walks, we say "Timo, butt wipey" and he follows us into the bathroom and stands there waiting for us to wipe Gotta say the dog loves his routines. :blink:

Timo did have an anal gland infection last year. He constantly licked. We wound up putting shorts on him to prevent the licking. The vet also recommended putting Vaseline on his butt, so that he didn't lick himself raw.

I just had him at the vet and had his glands expressed, but the tech said there was little there, that he's just a butt licker. I guess that's good news?

Did you discuss the idea of calming behavior or allergies? In the end we determined the butt licking on Zoe was related to anxiety and she was using it as a soothing mechanism. With calming meds she seems to be pretty much stopped the licking.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)