Panacur Question

Hello. After Ginger's last bout with the big D, some of the advice we got mentioned asking our vet about trying Panacur since fecal tests can bring back false negatives and all that.

So I had a couple questions for anyone that has had their hounds on this med.

First of all, she seems a little lethargic for a few hours after we give it to her. Not like passing out unresponsive, just a little like, "hey leave me alone I don't wanna go out and pee, I wanna sleep some more". Once we get her up she's happy to go out, as usual.

Second, we thought she was completely house broken because she hasn't done her business in the house in the 2 months we've had her except when she was sick in her crate. But when we're home she'd always bark or whine to go out.

I've looked for other threads on this and one or two mentioned pooping accidents but not peeing accidents. Yesterday evening she peed on the carpet in one of the bedrooms. That's not like her at all, so I wondered if it could be the medication?

Thanks.

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

We've used Panacur several times on both our greys and never had a problem with inappropriate elimination. Nor do I recall seeing here that it was a problem for anyone else with Panacur.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Wendy had several rounds of Panacur after we adopted her and had no adverse side effects. Maybe Google Panacur and check out it's possible side effects? Or, give the vet a call? I hope that Ginger feels better soon.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

We've used Panacur several times on both our greys and never had a problem with inappropriate elimination. Nor do I recall seeing here that it was a problem for anyone else with Panacur.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/279262-now-faith-is-leaking-poo/page__p__5084900__hl__panacur__fromsearch__1#entry5084900

This is one of the posts I was referring to.

Panacur can cause an upset stomach itself and if your dog is feeling under the weather I don't think the lethargy would be a stretch. The peeing seems less likely to me, but sometimes if a dog needs to poop and is trying to hold it, they can end up peeing instead. If you found the pee, then took her out and she had a bowel movement pretty immediately I would consider that as a possibility. Alternatively if she's had diarrhea and is drinking more water, she may have an increased need to go out.

It's pretty hard to say. I would probably keep an eye on things and if the peeing persists, have her checked for a possible UTI.

How long of a course of Panacur did your vet recommend? I would suggest at least 7 days if you're trying to rule out possible undiagnosed worms (some vets recommend 10) even though the standard course is 3 days.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

He gave us 5 days.

Ok, more info:

We caught her squatting early yesterday morning and we grabbed her and put her in the yard where she did like 3 zooms then peed straight away, came back in and went back to bed.

We're not sure when she peed on the carpet but we had to have been home and just missed it yesterday evening.

This morning I let her out as soon as I got up and she ran to her spot and peed which is completely out of character. She normally will refuse to do anything before breakfast even if we go for a walk. If I try and walk her first, she won't pee or poop and I'll have to go home, feed her then take her back out at which time her royal heinyness will pee and poop like a champ.

I hate to think the peeing is behavioral, but I suppose 2 months is too short a time to know our dogs' behaviors yet.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'll be really disappointed if it is a behavior issue though :( Not my dog! She's such a good girl...or so I thought.

Edit: also her diarrhea is basically under control at the moment so not sure about the drinking more water thing but she does seem to have to pee more.

Edited by Mike516

If this is a change in behavior (ie. she previously was housetrained and is now having accidents), which it sounds like is the case then I wouldn't necessarily go to behavioral.

It could just be the cold weather. Try turning up the heat in your house and/or leaving a coat on her and see what happens. Dogs, like us have to pee more frequently when they're cold.

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Any chance she has a UTI? This kind of thing has in the past brought those to our attention when we wouldn't have otherwise known there was a problem. Just a thought.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

The house heat is set to 68. If she's still too cold we have jammies for her.

I don't know about a UTI. I can ask the vet if she keeps doing it.

Maybe if it's not a side effect of the drug, it's that she just doesn't feel well. If she's sick, it could make her do things she wouldn't normally do maybe.

Well, not so good. It's about 10 minutes from my last post and she just peed on the carpet again.

It's in the same bedroom she sleeps in so I would think it'd be the least likely place she'd go.

She didn't pee on the floor last night, she slept through the night. She didn't pee in her crate all day. My wife came home at lunch and she didn't pee when she took her outside (twice). So she basically went almost 9 hours without going. Then she pee's on her walk at 5:30, again when I ran her around the yard about 7ish and then pees on the carpet at 8:30?

And she knew she was in trouble because she looked at me with that I'm in trouble look. I always thought they were mostly house broken so it's kind of the last thing I was expecting to have to deal with. And we haven't had a problem in 2 months. Not sure what to do but this isn't good.

Help!

Why would she be in trouble? Obviously there is something going on. Get her checked for a UTI for starters as has already been suggested. FYI, the new recommendation is to do a culture, not just a urinalysis (or you could start with the u/a and if negative, get the culture) as you can end up with a fair amt of false negatives with only a u/a, plus the culture will specify which AB is needed for treatment. But, a u/a is a fair place to start. On the off chance that she's having a kidney issue, you'd likely see protein in her urine.