How To Sleep With Two Hounds?

Guest Ross_a_Roo

Guest Ross_a_Roo

OK! So, Saturday I'm taking Ross on a little trip with me to Abilene, KS to meet her new sister. We're hoping since they grew up together at the same farm before splitting up that they'll do well together.

However, my issue is this: Ross sleeps with hubby and I on a queen size bed... hubby gets 50%, Ross and I each get 25%...b/c thats just how greyhounds are right??? BOL

Ok, so when we get our new girl... how should we approach it? Ross got to sleep up on the bed with us b/c she was anxious when she couldn't see both of us from the floor and would get up every 30 minutes to whine and make sure we were both still there...

Should we start forcing both girls to sleep on the floor? should we make the new girl sleep on the floor?

we CAN"T have both girls on the bed....

any thoughts? suggestions? things that worked for you when you got your second ever grey?

I think you're stuck! The only thing that will change is that Ross and his sister will occupy 90% of your bed, while you and your DH get a little space between the pillows and the foot of the bed. If you're lucky!

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Ross_a_Roo

BOL i just watched that for the first time today.

Seriously though, i do need a solution that doesn't include hubby being very upset that they both sleep with us....

Get a heated blanket and place it on the very foot of the bed. This worked for Myka when she got cold and she quit hogging the middle of the bed and pushing me over. Let them know that is their spot and move them back to it if you need to.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Since Kasey has slept in our queen bed since 2006 and we have let him keep his spot. Unfortunately Ryder gets to sleep on his bed on the floor. Our bed is the only furniture Kasey is allowed on as well, so I don't feel too bad! They aren't the best of cuddle bugs, so I would think that 2 greys on the bed would just create issues when sleeping. We already don't get a full nights rest with Kasey in the bed as it is, I couldn't imagine sticking two in there.

It's easier to start the sister off on the floor because she wouldn't know any better. That's how we do it in our house. Hubby said when Kasey goes, Ryder won't be allowed up to snuggle either, but I'll make sure that changes. Can't imagine Ryder not getting a chance to snuggle with us eventually, but as long as Kasey is around, he won't be allowed to.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I really think you're looking too far ahead.

She may not want to sleep with you. Or may be unable to because of space issues.

Of our three, Gabe has space/other issues, so he's never allowed to sleep with us. It doesn't seem to bother him. He has his super comfy bed on our bedroom floor, and that's where he heads when we all go to bed. He naps on our bed sometimes during the day.

Diamond always sleeps with us and always has.

Lucy does, or not, depending on her mood/the weather/the alignment of the planets. Most nights she spends part of the night on our bed and part on her own bed on the floor.

Your husband may change his mind, too. Mine swore none of the hounds would ever sleep with us. Now, he'll actually move to the foot of the bed to accommodate the two girls. :lol

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest snowmo18

I think its either both or none. If you were to have the new one sleep on the floor, it would be you reinforcing her submissiveness compared to your other grey. I think you would want them to feel equal and you as the pack leader.

Guest BrindleBoy

But seriously, what about the sleep startle thing??? Man, the few times I've startled Indy while sleeping was was a vicious looking and sounding dog, if even for 2-3 seconds... I don't think my dog would want me or anyone else sleeping with him.

We decided early on that no dog would sleep with us. So, when Brandi whined every half hour for us the first night, I rolled over, gave her a pat and sent her back to bed. Now both hounds argue about who's going to sleep next to me (usually Paige, who is much less submissive). Neither dog is encouraged into bed while we're sleeping. However, on nights that have turned cool, both of them have taken it in turns to hop in-between us to warm up before returning to their own beds. And at 5am a couple of mornings a week my husband is trampled under paw as Brandi decides it's time for me to get up, but she can't be bothered walking around the bed.

For us, we would have had problems if Brandi had been sleeping with us, because Paige is more dominant than her (which is one reason we got her). So I suspect we would have had problems with the 'boss' being relegated to a less desired sleeping spot (being the one within touching distance of me). And having had to referee a cat fight on my bed in the dark once (nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night and hearing a snarl coming from 'somewhere' in the room, except perhaps seeing a fin in the water) I have no desire to sort out a dog dispute. And you can' necessarily control which dog will end up in charge.

Guest SupersMom

I thought our girl would like sleeping with us. She had other ideas. I go to bed before DH, so the fur baby cuddles with me till DH takes her to potty late at night, then she watches late night tv with him in the living room. When he comes to bed, she gets in her bed. In the morning she decides who gets to take her out, and afterwards greets the other with a jump on the bed and kisses. On weekends she will stay and cuddle with us in bed after going outside. I've offered the bed during the week when I leave early, and DH is still sleeping, but she won't go. Only once did she stay in the bed with me after last call, and after DH came to bed, and even then after an hour or so, she had enough and went to her bed. I think they kind of decide the sleeping arrangements

Guest Ross_a_Roo

buy a king size bed for the dogs and you and hubby can have the queen

BOL! ^_^ Great idea!!! hahah

ok, well, we'll just have to see what she does i suppose!! BOL thanks for all of your guys' experiences with sleeping situations!

Get a comfy dog bed. Also buy a cheap comforter from Salvation Army or Goodwill. Put the comforter on the bed. Ross sleeps there from now on. New girl gets a similar arrangement. End of problem. Yes, Ross will probably whine but I wouldn't give in. She'll adjust & both girls will likely be happier in the long run.

We have a queen size bed & two cats that sleep with us. How an 8 lb cat manages to shove the lower half of me off the bed is a mystery but it happens. No way are we getting the Greys up on the bed with us. :lol

This is exactly why I have not yet adopted a second hound. Desi takes his "half" out of the middle of my queen size bed,

and most nights even more....I wake up hanging over the edge. I'm afradi if I got another, I'd end up sleeping on the couch!! :rolleyes:

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Hector loved sleeping on the bed at night and as he'd lay nicely at the foot was allowed to stay there. Throp prefer's his own bed at night unless he gets cold in the early hours. Hattie will get on & pull the floppy dog trick to avoid getting moved back to her own bed where she does then stay till morning. Often they'll both get on after breakfast when partner heads off to work to take his warm spot. It was cold yesterday and at about 4am i had Hattie at the end of the bed, Throp between me & DBF leaving me with a sliver of bed to balance on and a flap of duvet, while they all snoozed :rolleyes: (we've only a standard double bed :( )

Edited by moofie

Guest burgerandfrey

buy a king size bed for the dogs and you and hubby can have the queen

:lol

My wife and I used to share a full size bed with our first greyhound, but eventually our grey got frustrated with us (I think I moved my legs too much) and she abanonded the bed for the sofa. Once we got a king size bed she would sleep with us every now and then.

We had two greyhounds for awhile. Our boy Zeke had sleep aggression, so we had to banish him to the dog bed. Too bad since he was generally a well-mannered sleeper who didn't move much. He just had that problem of waking up in defense mode when something spooked him. It was rare, and he never bit one of us hard enough to cause injury, but we didn't want to take the chance. He sulked for awhile, but got over it. Initially we made our girl Lola sleep on the floor as well, but started letting her on the bed after Zeke died. She doesn't have any sleep aggression, but she gets up several times a night and spins around a few times before lying down in a new position. She also has a tendency to push you towards the edge of the bed. We might have to banish her as well, but for a different reason. She is getting better though. Some nights she will lie still for most of the night and won't crowd you too much. Other nights I will wake up to find her snuggled against me with her head on my pillow and me on the very edge of the bed! She is the smallest greyhound we have owned so far, but she seems to take up the most room :lol

Guest PhillyPups

How comfortable is your couch? You may learn quckly enough, then the new pup can sleep with you there. :lol

I usually have 1-3 in bed with me (I am single with queen size bed) and Gizmo has to sleep on his bed next to me with one of my slippers under him so I cannot put my foot in a slipper and run off while he is sleeping, silly boy. :rofl

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest BrianRke

IF you have space in your bedroom, add a sofa or loveseat. Frank and Daytona sleep in the bed with me, and Diamond sleeps on the sofa. She wouldnt have it any other way. This way, she still gets the "power" position on the furniture and she doesnt have to deal with me or the other dogs kicking her in the middle of the night. Frank and Daytona couldnt care less about being disturbed while sleeping.

I often wake up to find Frank's legs on Daytona's face, and many other intertwined postions.

If there isnt room for a bed, maybe add a large, possible raised, dog bed for her to sleep on.

Good luck with your new girl.

Guest Ross_a_Roo

well, i have a sofa waiting at my parents house for us to move into a bigger place. which is looking like it's going to happen and i will probably put that sofa in our bedroom, but thats not til February. I'm sure it'll all work out. i'm going shopping today to get a bigger doggy bed for the girls and some other essentials to bringing in a new hound. Thanks for your advice guys!!! :)))

Guest karilynn

Yeaaaah, I tried the whole sleeping in bed with the hound thing one time and when I tried to move him over because he was taking up the whole bed and he snapped at me, that was the end of that. He sleeps in his bed now and we are both perfectly content.

Guest Ross_a_Roo

Yeaaaah, I tried the whole sleeping in bed with the hound thing one time and when I tried to move him over because he was taking up the whole bed and he snapped at me, that was the end of that. He sleeps in his bed now and we are both perfectly content.

oh no! that sounds like he thinks he's the big dog! You tell him you're the big dog! ^_^ love your kitty avatar.