A Quick Poll About "sit" Command Training

Guest greysmitten

129 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Grey sit on command without a food bribe?

2. 2. Does your Grey sit on command with a food bribe?

3. 3. Does your Grey sit at appropriate times (ie. while waiting for a meal) without being told?

Guest FawnFan

I answered for Gunner. In order for him to "sit" there has to be something of value involved for him. Regarding treats, he used to sit only on his bed. Then one day we had a very high value treat, we asked him to "sit" and he did it right there. Now he sits wherever as long as there's a carpet or rug or runner underneath him. He doesn't sit before meals - he usually excuses himself to another room while we're preparing and then comes into the kitchen when we are ready to put the bowl down.

My other greyhound, Dawson (a chow hound), doesn't "sit" at all. He lays down for everything - with a bribe, without a bribe, before meals and then, as someone else mentioned, both when he wants what you're eating as well as when he thinks there's a possibility he can get something to eat. :)

I answered with Brooke. She does a good sit when she knows there's food involved and will sit in hopes there is food to be involved and will usually sit when there's no food around but that's not so reliable. Brooke is my pleaser. Rex, no chance. He doesn't have a need to please me, because I am in his service and around to please and take care of him. Prince Rex doesn't do tricks.

JoAnne, Instagram username mizhunie.

Brooke - Runnin Gamble
Trixie - 7 lbs of furry kitty love

Tucker - WW Charlie Sheen
Elmo - RIP buddy 3/16/12 (miss you so much!) Rex - Four Wheeler 4/18/17 (RIP buddy)

We've never trained timo to sit. But, he has to lay down and stay (minimum 10 seconds) before getting his food. He will always lay down and stay for a treat or a toy. He doesn't get anything without having to do something first.

Guest mainegrey

Our dog will not do sit/down unless there's some sort of a throw on the floor. :blink: Other than that, he got pretty good at it to my big surprise. He knows "shake", "down", "come", "off" and "up". Now I am trying to think what other trick to teach him.

I answered yes to all three. Mensa will sit if I have a treat. He will sit if I don't have a treat. He will sit if he thinks he is getting a treat. He will sit if he wants a treat. :lol If he really, really wants a treat he will add a "woof" to the sit. :rolleyes:

None of mine sit on command, but they will lay down on command.

I have tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, to teach Fritz to sit. His butt is the last to go down and the first to come up when it comes to laying down, so I can't capture that. Folding him doesn't work, it just upsets him. Backing him into a corner doesn't work, it freaks him out, or he just worms his body around along the wall to avoid sitting. Trying on a hill doesn't work either. We tried working on it, but he got weirded out and upset (and this is a dog who NEVER gets upset), so it just wasn't fun or worthwhile anymore.

Pinky sort of sits when she is working on laying down on my bed...it's a bit more awkward now that she's minus a back leg, but she still does it. I think it would be awesome to get her certified as a therapy dog so she could visit cancer patients. That's something for the future.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Tiptons_Mom

I am just trying to work on the sit command with Tipton. I have been able to use the method mentioned before about the hug and fold method. I can get him down into a sit, but he doesn't stay for more than a second. Going to keep trying.

I have three girls who all sit. I only needed to teach one of them how to sit and I did it by catching her in the process of laying down and marked the sit.

All three of mine sit to get their meals and I don't have to tell them. I get the bowls and they go to their places and sit. When done eating they will leave the room without bothering the others.

Of course they love to sit (or any other trick) for a treat! :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest verthib

Greyhounds aren't really 'built' to sit so I don't and won't teach mine. I don't think it's fair to make them do something I know they're not comfortable with. I am still working on stand/stay and lie down/stay. They're getting pretty good at those commands--unless they see something totally exciting like a squirrel in the yard lol.

Chauncey will sit on command with oe without a bribe, but she will only sit in an area that has carpet, she refuses to sit on the kitchen floor which is tile, if I tell her to sit while we are in the kichen, she will run into the living room and sit on the rug. Momma Tess never sat in the kitchen either, when you asked her to sit she would go to her bed in the living room and sit on it, I could never get her to sit anywhere else, she did sit side saddle in the yard a lot though. Darby does not know how to sit and I am trying to teach him but I don't think its going to happen and thats ok too.

Greyhounds aren't really 'built' to sit so I don't and won't teach mine. I don't think it's fair to make them do something I know they're not comfortable with.

Some Greyhounds actually have a build conducive to sitting. I've got one in my home right now who is routinely seen sitting & she's done it from the day she set paw in a home for the first time. She's just a natural sitter. Another of mine sits happily, comfortably & of her own accord on inclines. All of them sit outside when they get cold. Two of them were never seen sitting inside until I taught them to sit.

Some are truly uncomfortable sitting but others just need time & practice with the position before feeling comfortable for reasonable lengths of time. I do not ask mine to remain seated for more than a minute or two. That is a very useful thing in crowded situations & I have been happy they could do it, especially on elevators.