Shedding Observation

Guest BrianRke

Is it just a coincidence or do white/light color greyhounds shed more than black/dark colored?

Any thoughts?

I think the white hair is just more visible. Even though I'm a neat freak, you'll find hair from my two white girls on pretty much everything in my house. It gets on, and shows up on, everything. I don't tend to see Gabe (red/blue brindle)'s hair around the house, but I know he sheds - it comes off in my hands when I pet him.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Well, we have a dark brindle, black and a red fawn. Bonny, our red fawn, sheds way more than the other too. She also has that soft "bunny" fur while the other two have coarser coats.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I'm sure that others are right, and color doesn't matter.

BUT - my current foster, mostly white, sheds more than any other grey we've ever had. He does have a thick coat, and that may be the reason, but I've NEVER swept up this much dog hair in my LIFE with greys!

Call it an urban legend - but this white dog sheds a LOT! :blink:

All of the white dogs I've known have longer and fluffier hair, and shed much more. My dark colored dogs have all had very short, sleek coats.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

i still haven't figured out millie. she is dark brindle and white (with spots) but her shed/brushed hair fluff is uniformly gray. the stuff in the dyson is gray. everything in the house has gray grey dog hair on it or in it of course. she seems to exude bits of hair uniformly thruout the year.

my bridge angel, blue, a blue brindle, never shed, did not have any undercoat and when brushed, never had any fluff in the brush.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

My fawns have the thickest coats but my black boys shed just as much. Now that we have a white girl, it's her fur i'm noticing more.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest burgerandfrey

Is it just a coincidence or do white/light color greyhounds shed more than black/dark colored?

Any thoughts?

We have had one red brindle & white female, one very light colored reddish fawn male, and one brownish fawn female. The fawn colored female sheds the least. The brindle and white shed a little more, and the male would shed like crazy! He also had the softest coat of any dog I have ever felt. He raced in Colorado so I don't know if the colder climate has an impact or not on their coats. Our other dogs raced in WV and Florida. It was like he got an undercoat in the winter... he would get slightly fluffier. You couldn't really see much of a difference, but you could definitely feel it. Then come Spring he would shed and shed and shed. My niece would brush him for an hour sometimes (which he thoroughly enjoyed) and he would still be shedding. Here is a photo of Zeke wearing a tupee of his own making after one of those brushing sessions:

1069836898_yi5rT-M.jpg