Osteo Thread

Pinky did GREAT receiving her chemo this morning. They got her to lay down on a blanket, and the tech sat on the floor with her and just gave her attention. No sedation needed, nothing. She didn't even flinch when they inserted the IV catheter. They all love her there. Dr. Less heard that we were in and came out to the lobby to say hello before he went into surgery this morning.

A week ago when she'd had preliminary bloodwork, I had emailed Dr. Marin about our choice of carboplatin and she said it would be there by today - it wasn't. THANKFULLY Dr. Thomsen has another patient receiving carboplatin, and he had JUST enough to treat Pinky and treat his other patient this afternoon. I emailed Dr. Marin to let her know that they hadn't received it yet, but haven't heard anything back. I certainly hope that it arrives before our next treatment in three weeks, or we won't be able to do it.

I have a small separate yard, so I'll be using that for Pinky to go potty in after her chemo. Dr. Thomsen said that this is critical for the first three days following a treatment and a little bit less critical for the rest of the week following.

We talked a bit about Cerenia - he said I can get some if he thinks we need it, but in his experience he hates to have me buy it if she ends up not needing it. I imagine that we may need it at some point, but if we do it's very easy to stop in and pick some up.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job Pinky!

The nausea hits about ~6 hours after chemo. So if you find her needing it after an afternoon chemo session, how late are they open?

We had a really rough night after round #2 because we didn't have any Cerenia on hand, and I felt horrible. After that, I gave it BEFORE the chemo session and then for 2 days after. Better to prevent it, than to have a very uncomfortable, miserable dog, IMO.

I purchased two heated snow-melting mats for the back porch - they will be here Monday. A small fortune, but I don't ever want to have to see him fall like that again. :(

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Silver has started coughing, and it's a little worse this week than it was last week. If I have my back turned, she and Sam sound just alike.

She's going to her vet on Tuesday, and I'm going to insist on x-rays. I'm not willing to play wait-and-see and start her on a round of antihistamines and antibiotics.

Jacey had a little nasal congestion a couple of days before she became so ill (IMT) and died. Sam has lung cancer. Silver is coughing.

Over the summer, I had a slow leak from my water heater, and it wasn't discovered right away (it was in a closet). There was a fair amount of water damage, so we ripped out the vinyl floor in the kitchen/pantry. I also took the opportunity to have the carpet and pad pulled up from two rooms, and we put in new vinyl floor in those rooms. Two weeks later, Jacey was dying. I'm terrified that there's a connection between the new floor and what's happened (and happening) to my dogs.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

That's a really good point...hadn't thought of it that way.

Her chemo will always be in the morning, and the clinic is open until 7pm. Even if they weren't open, I can get it from our e-vet, but we'll be sure to discuss it for next time.

Her chemo this morning was at 8 am. I went to work at 10:30, and my mom checked in on them around 2pm. I got home at 8 and fed them and took them out. She ate like a pig as usual, and then peed and pooped. I'm now watching tv and she's in her favorite spot-the love seat :) Hopefully we'll have a quiet night :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

She's having a dream and she's woofing quietly...she hasn't done that in a really long time :wub:

I guess I might email our oncologist prior to Hurley's 2nd chemo next week because I don't think she is doing blood tests before chemo and I don't really know what nausea in a dog is like (I know what vomiting is.....I assume that is what nausea does) but his appt will be at 10am, Jim leaves for work at 4pm and I will return after 10pm, so he might be uncomfortable in those hours. Jim doesn't want me bothering her all the time but I'd like answers prior to the day.

We took Hurley and the dogs on a pretty long walk today.....Hurley pulled me the whole time, anxious as ever to be in the lead!!!! And the other night, he ran outside alogside Woodie and kept up with him very well, then he came up the back steps by himself! Usually, he has me help him with the bottom 2 (of 3) steps. He is coming along (and a few new rugs have been purchased) so I am very happy. Not to mention, I am home for 4 days and I get to decorate the house, do more organizing and spend some time here. Yay for me and Hurley Dawgie! As usual, he is ensconced on the couch, all three legs reaching for the ceiling!

Keep up the good work, Pinky!!! I'm glad everything worked out as it should!

Kathy, big, gentle hugs!!!!!!!! I really don't believe there could be any way that your flooring could be related to their health. Don't question your decisions. Things seem really bad and wondering why is sometimes not an effective way to deal with that stress. Aren't there 12 or so steps to the grieving process...I am pretty sure questioning why is one of them. Even if there was some asbestos in the old floor, you could not have known...and you could ask if the symptoms are characteristic of it. I thought all floor workers are able to recognize asbestos and warn you upon finding it because it would be in other areas of your home too. I would rule out asbestos for everyone's safety, of course, but that is the only thing I can think that would be happening here.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Kathy, big, gentle hugs!!!!!!!! I really don't believe there could be any way that your flooring could be related to their health. Don't question your decisions. Things seem really bad and wondering why is sometimes not an effective way to deal with that stress. Aren't there 12 or so steps to the grieving process...I am pretty sure questioning why is one of them. Even if there was some asbestos in the old floor, you could not have known...and you could ask if the symptoms are characteristic of it. I thought all floor workers are able to recognize asbestos and warn you upon finding it because it would be in other areas of your home too. I would rule out asbestos for everyone's safety, of course, but that is the only thing I can think that would be happening here.

Actually, the old floor doesn't worry me. Sam lived with that floor for nine years; Jacey lived with it for five; Silver never met the old floor, which was gone two weeks before I got her. (And below the vinyl was concrete slab, so I don't have to worry about something nasty lurking in a subfloor.)

But apparently PVC is used in vinyl floors even now--even though links between PVC and cancer seem to be well known. Googling "vinyl floor cancer" pulls up nearly 600,000 links.

I'm just going to play it by ear. I can count on my vet to humor me and give Silver the chest x-rays, even if he thinks I'm over-reacting. We'll see what's on the x-rays, and then figure out where to go from there.

I'm all in favor of coincidence. When Jacey fell ill so unexpectedly, and we were never able to find the trigger, I wondered about the floor (because the vets were asking about lawn treatments or other toxins she could have gotten into), but I put it out of my mind. It was a new floor for me, but vinyl floors themselves aren't new and surely if they were dangerous there'd be news about it. So what if Jacey liked to sleep on the bare floor? Coincidence. And IMT can be caused by so many things; just because we hadn't found the trigger didn't mean it was the floor.

And Sam? Sam is an old boy. Something was going to get him sometime, and I was so relieved that it didn't appear to be osteo. And he doesn't spend a lot of time on that floor.

But when Silver started coughing last week... Pollen counts are very low here, and there's not a new pollen that hasn't been in this area for a couple of months. A sudden reaction to pollens she's been breathing for a couple of months doesn't seem very likely. But her ex-pen was on that floor (because it's easy to clean if she pees or poops--she has separation anxiety). When I'm not home, she's crated in a room with that floor. So all of a sudden that fleeting wonder about Jacey has started to seem more ominous.

When Sam started coughing, we didn't rush to x-rays. We treated it as a possible bronchial event caused by Georgia's ragweed, and gave him doxycycline and antihistamines. When it didn't clear up, we moved on to x-rays. But Sam is eleven and a half; I knew that if it turned out to be cancer, we weren't going to try chemo because he has enough other health issues that it wouldn't make sense to try to extend his life while he fights multiple issues at once. Silver, though, is just six-and-a-half, so if there's something wrong, we need to jump on it and not wait around.

I'm hoping for a nice, tidy diagnosis of bronchitis next week.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Kathy, you have a TON to deal with!! You deserve a BREAK! I have one sick dog out of three and I feel that is my limit.

I hope for a nice bronchitis too!!!

And some good karma for you and your family!

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

I guess I might email our oncologist prior to Hurley's 2nd chemo next week because I don't think she is doing blood tests before chemo and I don't really know what nausea in a dog is like (I know what vomiting is.....I assume that is what nausea does) but his appt will be at 10am, Jim leaves for work at 4pm and I will return after 10pm, so he might be uncomfortable in those hours. Jim doesn't want me bothering her all the time but I'd like answers prior to the day.

Nausea in Berkeley caused inappetence, but also a lot of pacing and whining and just general unrest. For Berkeley not to eat meant that he was clearly unhappy as that boy will eat anything at anytime.

I would be really surprised if your vet wasn't doing bloodwork before chemo - I would think it would be extremely dangerous to give a dog chemo without it.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Day 2 and no issues :yay I know that most do great with their first treatment, so I'm not surprised. Hoping that her second treatment (scheduled for the 29th) won't be too rough on her.

The onco did email me back and he will need a CBC before his chemo so yay! I can take him to our regular vet and I want them to see him and check him out anyway since we haven't been there since this began. She said I was welcome to the Cerenia if I want it. The odd thing is that OSU was going to send the chemo out on Dec 1 and my onco had not received it yet by the 7th. I won't know for sure until she gets back to the office Monday but I quickly emailed OSU back since that seems too long unless OSU got really delayed mailing it.

I forgot to say GO Gabe!! And my thoughts are with Twiggy right now (another thread).

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna, we're having the same issue with Pinky's chemo drugs getting here. I emailed Dr. Marin on Thursday morning but haven't heard anything back.

Pinky will have a CBC on Thursday morning to see how we're doing post-chemo, and then Dr. Thomsen will do another one the day of her next treatment.

We're waiting on chemo from OSU, too. I contacted them more than a week before Gabe's second session, but there was a lot of back and forth with our oncology office, because they wanted a histopath report, which we didn't have (no amputation, so no biopsy - only a fine needle aspirate). We finally got it all worked out but not before I'd paid for the second chemo. I'm really hoping it arrives before his third in three weeks.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

We have a bunch of 100mg and 300mg capsules of gabapentin left from Faye Oops. I'd love to give these to another grey that needs them. If you'd like them, please PM me with your address.

I'm still following your journeys and hoping that your pups continue to kick osteos butt.

Faye Oops former family made a beautiful video tribute to her which I posted in Remembrance today.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

We have our group's Christmas party today...Dr. Thomsen said that it is ok for Pinky to go :yay I have her little roll up bed in the car so she will have somewhere to lay down if needed.

Check out Berkeley's new coat! Technically, we ordered it awhile ago, but this was the first time we used it. :)

CIMG5735.jpg

That is the perfect coat for Berkeley!

We had a very nice time at the party today. To my surprise (and delight, actually) we really didn't get any "aww, poor dog" comments. Many of the people there know me pretty well, but there were a lot of people that I don't know too. Many asked the reason for the amputation, knowing the answer was probably osteo. Most commented that she seems unphased by the tripod life and that she looks great. A friend commented that she has such a sparkle in her eye. All of these things really made me feel good, and of course Pinky loved the attention! Anne (PrairieProf) took some pictures today that I'll have to download from Facebook and post here.

The gal that takes the photos for our website was there photographing pups with Santa at no cost - just about the nicest thing ever. So I will have some nice professional style photos too sometime soon that I can post. It made me so happy to be able to get a picture of the 4 of them together...just in case there is anyone that isn't with us next Christmas. I know that is a morbid thought and it pains me for that even to cross my mind, but we're all on borrowed time in some way or another - it's important to cherish what I've got today.

Hugs to you Kristin! I was thinking the same thing (about next Xmas) while I was decorating the tree today...it is our first live tree (well, my family always had them but for me and my hubby) and I had to stop and hug the little guy, who was conveniently lying underneath the tree! :blush They are definitely here to be cherished! It sounds like all had a wonderful day!

I guess OSU is very busy or short stocked. I'm glad we can update each other.

Berkeley is VERY handsome and dashing in that coat!

I saw Xan's portrait of Faye Oops on facebook, it was very touching and absolutely beautiful!

Btw, Gabe should get refunded the chemo money when the drugs arrive!

Siggy4.jpg

Berk looks great in his coat!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I just saw the pics of the holiday party - the one of Kristin hugging Pinky is so sweet!

I'm donating Faye Oops leftover drugs to OSU - hoping another greyhound in need can use them.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Just heard from Dr. Marin-the chemo was on backorder but should be here this week :yay

I just saw the pics of the holiday party - the one of Kristin hugging Pinky is so sweet!

I'm donating Faye Oops leftover drugs to OSU - hoping another greyhound in need can use them.

That's very sweet of you- they will be most appreciative.

Posted a thread in C&F of the Christmas pics I got back already from the gal who photographed them with Santa :)

Checked the tracking # Dr. Marin sent this morning...it was delivered to our vet's office this morning, so it will be there ready for us on the 29th :yay

Our chemo drugs also made it on the 8th (one day after my doctor was working). Whew!!! :banana

We got Hurley's blood drawn at our regular vet and the White count is low but I guess it's not low enough for our oncologist to delay the chemo because, as far as I know, we will be getting Chemo #2 tomorrow!

We took (carried) Hurley upstairs to our bedroom last night and I had to come down to pee in the morning. He jumped off the bed (I guess that was okay) and got some scritchies before I came down and then, as I was stuck on the toilet, I hear paws coming down the steps....I knew it wasn't Petra because she loves to sleep in. It was Hurley, all by himself down the wooden, steep, scary steps!! And he made it fine! I don't know what I would have done if he fell but he is pretty scrappy! Yay! He is also running in the backyard as fast as the other two -and- loving it! :yay

But tomorrow we will keep him separated and quiet until his appetite and excitement level come back.

Siggy4.jpg