Osteo Thread

Symbra's chest x-rays appear to be clear at this point in time.

I sent a copy over to her chemo doc, and will also send them to OSU for confirmation, but so far so good.

That is great news to hear!!! Keep it up Symbra!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo hoo, Symbra! Great news :colgate

Twiggy has her 9-month x-rays in a week. I'm a little nervous, because we had to discontinue nearly all of her treatments several weeks ago. I also just booked reservations to go to Mountain Hounds at the end of the month. I hope I didn't jinx her health! :unsure

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

:yay Symbra!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Ben may be having an issue. He had his fourth chemo a week ago Wednesday and his fourth Pamidronate Wednesday this week. His left front leg was partially shaved down a little more than usual. He's been acting okay and eating.

We were watching tv on the couch tonight and I looked down and saw the leg was swollen, about 1 1/2 times the size of the other. The leg is much warmer than the other to the touch.

Any ideas of what could be happening? Here's a picture (can't really tell if that's pink at the top of shaved area creeping up the leg or not...didn't even see it until the picture)

benlegswelling002.jpg

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Does it feel like there's fluid in his leg?

Gabe had problems with one of his pamindronate treatments. Their line was too short, and he pulled it out of his leg when he tried to get settled. About a day later, his leg was swollen and fluid-filled. His oncologist just had us put warm compresses on it and massage it several times a day, and it went away in two to three days.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

When he's standing, the leg isn't so swollen but is still warm.

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

I think I'd have it looked at just to be safe. My friend's grey got an infection from her IV site after anesthesia, I'm sure it can happen with other IV treatments too. She ended up with a big ugly hole in her leg-it's finally healing up.

I hope it turns out to be nothing, but if it's not nothing you'll definitely have wanted to get it looked at!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I will call them today. His oncologist doesn't come in until Tuesday but it's a hospital that is always open. I'm sure they can cntact her if need be. This morning it's not as warm but is now almost double in size. :sad1

Does it seem like it's filled with fluid (if you press on it, does it sink it and then slowly move back to normal)? If so, it could very well be edema and warm compresses should help until you can get the vet to address it. It doesn't seem like infection would cause swelling like that so quickly, but if it is, I don't think the compressed would hurt. :dunno

Great news for Symbra! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest snakes

I can't say from doggie experience, but in humans the swelling, warmth and redness indicates an infiltration which is when the fluid goes into the tissues at the IV site instead of in the vein. It usually happens when the IV dislodges from the vein somehow (usually after movement of the pt).

We recommend warm compresses, elevating the limb (obviously harder in a dog), but no massaging as some IV medications can irritate tissue and massaging can actually hurt the tissue. It can take 2-5 days to resolve in humans.

Called the vet. Swelling has gone down a little but still warm. They said sometimes the catheter can cause irritation and to do the warm compresses. If it's not better tomorrow to call as they will want to see him.

Thank you for all your help. It is so comforting to know you're there and I can rely on your suggestions and expertise. :grouphug to you.

Pinky is going to be starting a combination of cytoxan, piroxicam, and artemisinin. Do you find it's better to give these things at night, or in the morning (I imagine a combo of some in the morning, others at night would likely be best.). I have a call in to Dr. T but just wanted to ask you guys.

Pinky is such a nerd :lol. I realized I still had some of the Springtime Inc. Longevity powder (I used it with Sutra as part of his palliative regimen)...so I opened the canister. She seemed interested, so I held it out to let her sniff it. She stuck her nose in it and grabbed the scoop and made off like a bandit with it, drooling everywhere. I sprinkled a bit of the powder into her empty bowl and she licked the bowl clean. I guess that means she'll eat it if I put it on her food, huh? :lol

How is Ben's leg doing today? I hope the swelling is going down.

Kristin- it is recommended that Artemisinin is given away from iron-containing foods, so I try to give that just before bed (at least 2-3 hours after dinner). For the chemo drugs, when Twiggy was on Palladia and cytoxan, I would give those with dinner (so that she would most likely be asleep when side effects like nausea would be worst). The nsaid (Metacam in Twiggy's case, piroxicam in Pinky's), I give in the morning, so that it's pain-relieving properties (even though it's not given for pain in their cases) kicks in during the most active part of her day.

That's not to say there aren't better plans, but this is what I've been doing.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

That helps Wendy, thanks!

Oh, maybe Pinky's antics are in celebration of her 6 month ampiversary today :yay

A very special week here at our house-Pinky's 6 month ampiversary today and Carrie is 13 years old tomorrow! I saw her race owner on Saturday and he remembers her even though she hasn't raced in almost 11 years! That just tells you how special she is :)

So happy for all the pups doing well! Way to go Pinky and Symbra!

Piroxicam, on alternate days with the cytoxan. Artemisinin, as said above, needs to be away from iron containing foods and with a high fat food like peanut butter

With Dude, this is what we did - 1 hour before breakfast I would give him a spoonful of peanut butter wth his artemisinin pill inside. He got the other two on alternate days with lunch meat, before dinner.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Way to go Pinky!!! Keep it up girl! Good thoughts for Ben.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Pinky started her Cytoxan yesterday-no issues so far, I hope we continue to be lucky. I imagine it takes a week or so to know if she will really have an issue with it.

For some reason, I had the moment Berkeley broke his leg hit me at the gym today unexpectedly. I choked back tears... and have been feeling pretty down all night. It's so hard. It'll be two months on the 12th, but it's still very raw for me. :(

In some better news - my husband and I are working out a fundraising effort for OSU for our upcoming marathon/half marathon. As soon as we have the details, I'll pass them on.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

:grouphug

It used to happen to me a lot - I'd replay Sutra slipping and falling in the living room and screaming. Thank God his leg did not break, but it was a truly horrible and terrifying experience. As time has passed, that bad time has resurfaced less and less, thank goodness. I hope that the same will be true for you.

Just checked Symbra's CBC results online and we're a go for chemo #4 today.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest LittleGreys

I am leaving here shortly to take Munchie to Dr Radcliffe's for her followup appointment. We were supposed to go two weeks ago, but I couldn't manage with my work schedule. Hopefully we get good news today. He is checking her progress from the stem cell therapy and this time also xraying the osteo in her shoulder.

:yay to Pinky on her ampiversary

:grouphug for BauersMom Your boy is looking down on you with love

For some reason, I had the moment Berkeley broke his leg hit me at the gym today unexpectedly. I choked back tears... and have been feeling pretty down all night. It's so hard. It'll be two months on the 12th, but it's still very raw for me. :(

In some better news - my husband and I are working out a fundraising effort for OSU for our upcoming marathon/half marathon. As soon as we have the details, I'll pass them on.

:grouphug

Can't wait to hear details about the fundraiser. :)

:goodluck for Munchie.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It still does that to me and DH.

Good Teary Story: Dude lost his tags from his collar somewhere last year. They were always falling off and I usually found them outside under a bush or somewhere he'd been recently. But I never found these. I figured they were buried in dirt in their dogging hole and gone forever.

On Saturday, Lilly was digging around under the cushions of his red chair. She goes mining for crumbs quite frequently :rolleyes: so I didn't think anything about it - Until she came over and dropped Dude's tags in my lap. I'd looked in that chair several times for them as Dude layed there a lot and NEVER found them. Then, on the day of the super moon, sweet Lilly brings us a memo from our boy telling us he's OK. I just burst out crying. DH got leaky too. What a day..........................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly