Osteo Thread

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Gabe keeps improving on the Previcox. I'm really not familiar with this medication - sounds like it's another nsaid?

Thanks. Yeah, it's an nsaid we're trying after going through Rimadyl and Deramaxx. I don't know that it'll be any better, and I've read that some dogs don't do well on it, but at this point, I'm willing to try whatever the oncologist thinks may help.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Just checking in to see how Gabe is today? Hopefully feeling even better and stealing more treats since clearly his mom doesn't give him enough, harumph. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

He had another rough morning but did a lot better after his second dose of tramadol kicked in. I hope that means once the NSAID is in full force we'll see some improvement.

No treat stealing today, but the "24 hour chicken" I have in the crockpot is driving him crazy. :lol

Thanks for asking about him.

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Glad he's doing well while the previcox kicks in!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Glad he's doing better Valerie.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Quick question for those of you who are doing or have done pamidronate treatments. Did you find your dog was really thirsty immediately after the treatments? I seem to recall that Neyla was, but we only did one treatment and she did have kidney issues. I'm curious if this is common. And how soon did you see results?

Guest snakes

Quick question for those of you who are doing or have done pamidronate treatments. Did you find your dog was really thirsty immediately after the treatments? I seem to recall that Neyla was, but we only did one treatment and she did have kidney issues. I'm curious if this is common. And how soon did you see results?

Yes yes and yes!!

I always bring water and make sure i have a full dish in the car for him now after his infusion. He gets in the car and drinks most of it right away! He generally drinks a lot the entire day (his treatments start at 8am), and of course pees like a racehorse all day too! In fact if i have to go to work that night I either leave the pups with a friend with a yard or put down a bunch of pee pads! :)

They also run a bunch of fluids in after the pamidronate to help the kidneys.

When FedX was in some of his worst pain I generally saw some results the next morning. He is doing fairly well now so i don't see as dramatic a result, hopefully it is to prevent the pain from getting too bad. We will probably go to an "as needed" basis after his next treatment in April if his pain gets bad (we go every 3 months right now).

Yes yes and yes!!

I always bring water and make sure i have a full dish in the car for him now after his infusion. He gets in the car and drinks most of it right away! He generally drinks a lot the entire day (his treatments start at 8am), and of course pees like a racehorse all day too! In fact if i have to go to work that night I either leave the pups with a friend with a yard or put down a bunch of pee pads! :)

They also run a bunch of fluids in after the pamidronate to help the kidneys.

When FedX was in some of his worst pain I generally saw some results the next morning. He is doing fairly well now so i don't see as dramatic a result, hopefully it is to prevent the pain from getting too bad. We will probably go to an "as needed" basis after his next treatment in April if his pain gets bad (we go every 3 months right now).

Thank you! That is a relief to hear.

Guest snakes

Thank you! That is a relief to hear.

I thought it was odd the first treatment we had as well so i mentioned it to the tech the next time and she just kinda shrugged her shoulders and didn't seem concerned.

I figure it is a good way to keep flushing the kidneys too :)

Gabe has an oncology appointment tomorrow, and I'm dreading it. He's doing better but is still limping, and I think I know what his oncologist is going to say about that. Which probably, in itself, tells me what I need to know. Aarrggh!

:grouphug

Gabe LOVES the techs at his oncology center and always goes with them happily. This morning, he didn't want to go. I bent down to kiss him on the forehead, telling him to be a good boy and I'd be back, and he pulled away from the tech and pushed his forehead against my chest. I managed to make it to my car before completely falling apart.

Now waiting for his oncologist to call after his CBC and exam.

You ever feel like your heart is just NOT built to take all this? :(

Valerie :grouphug

I feel that way all the time. Doesn't matter if it has to do with Pinky and the osteo, or if it has to do with another issue with one of my other kids. A friend who adopts seniors only used to always say she didn't know if her heart could take it anymore because it hurt so terribly every time she lost one, and the pain just got worse as time went on. I always thought that she was crazy to say that...because the thought of foregoing this journey, the thought of not having dogs in my life, is just something I can't do. But, after losing Sutra, I could sort of understand what she meant. Still, there's no way I'll ever stop having dogs in my life...I just can't.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Valerie, just more :grouphug

:grouphug Absolutely. The seven weeks between when Faye Oops was diagnosed with osteo and when she passed away was such an emotional roller coaster. I miss Faye Oops terribly, but I feel absolutely confident in our decision to let her cross the bridge when we did. Faye Oops was my heart dog. She will never be forgotten, but time does make things easier.

Our grey Darcy has really stepped up to fill Faye Oops big paw prints in my heart. Darcy also happens to be our oldest now at 11 y/o. I know that it's only a matter of time before I have to ride that roller coaster again.

I dropped Gia off for her suture removal and first chemo this morning! She's been doing really well and seems totally adjusted and happy, so I'm hoping there are no issues and the chemo goes as planned!

:yay

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Today is Pinky's 4 month ampiversary :yay

It seems like it has been MUCH longer than 4 months. Her last chemo is scheduled for March 15th :)

Valerie, no word yet?

Gabe LOVES the techs at his oncology center and always goes with them happily. This morning, he didn't want to go. I bent down to kiss him on the forehead, telling him to be a good boy and I'd be back, and he pulled away from the tech and pushed his forehead against my chest. I managed to make it to my car before completely falling apart.

Now waiting for his oncologist to call after his CBC and exam.

Oh yeah. Every time I bring Charlie in. I hope all goes well.

I dropped Gia off for her suture removal and first chemo this morning! She's been doing really well and seems totally adjusted and happy, so I'm hoping there are no issues and the chemo goes as planned!

That is great news! Keep it Gia.

Today is Pinky's 4 month ampiversary :yay

It seems like it has been MUCH longer than 4 months. Her last chemo is scheduled for March 15th :)

Way to go Pinky!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Valerie, no word yet?

She posted in remembrance. %%*$##@!

:(

Oh no. Off to read the thread. :cry1

Dam*!!!!!

Now I am sobbing. There is no way I can read Valerie's post in Remembrance. I can't go to that forum at the best of times, much less when my Joey is terminal. Would someone please let her know that I am thinking about her and her family. It is just so devastating to lose yet another houndie.

Jane