Seizure Dog With Teeth Cleaning/removal

Lucy has been on Zonisamide for about 4.5 weeks now and her last seizure was Oct 15th (6.5 weeks ago). The vet discovered a cracked tooth yesterday when we were rechecking her blood values because of her CCU incident 2 weeks ago. The tooth does not appear to bother her and it's doesn't look infected yet but, it will have to come out at some time.

My question to people that have seizure dogs - what pre/post precautions (if any) have you taken when your dog had to go under for any procedures. I'd like to wait until Feb/Mar of 2012 to remove the tooth so she would have been on the seizure meds for at least 3 months and hopefully stabilized but, if there are issues, the tooth might have to come out earlier and I would like to be prepared.

Saint hasn't has any procedures that require anesthesia so I don't have an answer for you. He's getting to the point where he needs a dental and he's been controlled for so long, I'm afraid to do it for fear it will put him into seizures again. I'd be curious to here how other seizure dogs have handled anesthesia.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Rainey had to go under for her MRI in Oct of 2010 while she was having her seizures, and did fine. Our neuro told us that they sometimes actually USE anethesia to stop seizures if nothing else works. :dunno

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

My memory is bad and my records are at home (I'm at work) but I think the vet just made sure to give Phaelin IV fluids before and during the time he was under. There might be other things that they did, but I can't remember right now.

MaryJane - are you on the EPIL-K9 list? I know there are people on there who have asked the same question and have put their dogs under anesthesia but I can't remember what they've done ahead of time. It might be worth it to join the list and ask the question there also. The people on the list are very helpful and very informative when it comes to issues like this. They also have an archive section where you can search to see what other people have done in this type of situation.

Edited by greypuppyluv

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Rainey had to go under for her MRI in Oct of 2010 while she was having her seizures, and did fine. Our neuro told us that they sometimes actually USE anethesia to stop seizures if nothing else works. :dunno

It's a good point about the anesthesia to stop seizures. I guess I'm less concerned about the actual procedure with the anesthesia than I am about her coming out of it and having seizures start.

When Rainey came out from the MRI procedure were there more/less seizures or not able to distinguish?

My memory is bad and my records are at home (I'm at work) but I think the vet just made sure to give Phaelin IV fluids before and during the time he was under. There might be other things that they did, but I can't remember right now.

MaryJane - are you on the EPIL-K9 list? I know there are people on there who have asked the same question and have put their dogs under anesthesia but I can't remember what they've done ahead of time. It might be worth it to join the list and ask the question there also. The people on the list are very helpful and very informative when it comes to issues like this. They also have an archive section where you can search to see what other people have done in this type of situation.

No. I'm not on the list - I will join, thank you for mentioning this!

Saint hasn't has any procedures that require anesthesia so I don't have an answer for you. He's getting to the point where he needs a dental and he's been controlled for so long, I'm afraid to do it for fear it will put him into seizures again. I'd be curious to here how other seizure dogs have handled anesthesia.

that is my fear - that coming up out of the anesthesia might spark seizure activity

I think ketamine is contraindicated for dogs subject to seizures. Google ketamine seizure and see what you get.

The only seizure my Sam ever had was coming out of a dental where the vet had used ketamine. We've never let him have ketamine since then.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)