Help! Slug Like Worms?

Guest Timo

Ok, so this is gross but has me very concerned. My husband took timo on his nightly walk, and said that he pooped out two slug-like worms. There is a tiny chance that the slugs were on the grass where he pooped, but my husband is 99% sure timo pooped them out because of their location within the poop. They were still moving. He separated them from the poop and brought them home for me to see. We just took a couple of pictures... and we saved them to bring to a vet tomorrow. We don't have a vet yet though as we are pretty new to the area. If anyone has a recommendation on a good vet in southern orange county, it would be much appreciated.

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry they are kinda blurry. Has anyone had this experience? Help!

db392f15.jpg

1f611065.jpg

Edited by Timo

Those don't appear to be canine parasites. They look just like what you described-- slugs. Im sure they were on the ground and your dog pooped on them-- talk about a bad day.

:lol What a way to go.

:nod The antenna on the ones head is the giveaway. I've never seen a worm with antennae come out of a dog and I'd probably faint dead away if it happened. :blush

Slug picture for comparison

220px-Slug_pic.jpg

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam, you should have seen the pictures Mary (Timo's mom) and I were looking at on the internet trying to figure out if those were slugs or something else....ewwww!! :lol:lol I did mention what a good hubby she has that 1) he thought he saw something in Timo's poop (mine would NEVER notice something like that :rolleyes: ) and 2) he actually separated them from the poop and brought them home for her to see. :lol It did make for some interesting late night talk though. :P

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Yuck!

My old dog used to slurp night crawlers (large earth worms) like spaghetti. One night he threw up...need I go on? Let's just say the expelled matter was moving. Most disgusting thing I've ever seen.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Pam, you should have seen the pictures Mary (Timo's mom) and I were looking at on the internet trying to figure out if those were slugs or something else....ewwww!! :lol:lol I did mention what a good hubby she has that 1) he thought he saw something in Timo's poop (mine would NEVER notice something like that :rolleyes: ) and 2) he actually separated them from the poop and brought them home for her to see. :lol It did make for some interesting late night talk though. :P

Well, apparently hubby may be a bit too vigilante. Haha. I took the slugs to a vet here locally and was told that there was no way those came out of the dog. it's really a strange coincidence that he pooped right on the only slugs in the area. Hubby checked all around to see if there were other slugs on the grass before he concluded that they came out of the dog. None except the ones with the poop. He even shined the flashlight on timo while he was pooping... I know, poor dog gets no privacy. Well, at least the mystery has been solved. :P

It's hard to feel sorry for a couple of slugs, but...really-- The poor things minding their own business, and all of a sudden The sky is falling! The sky is fall--

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It's hard to feel sorry for a couple of slugs, but...really-- The poor things minding their own business, and all of a sudden The sky is falling! The sky is fall--

:rofl Glad all's well that ends well! (well maybe not so well for the slugs...)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

:lol :lol

The poor, poor slugs. :crying

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

:lol :lol

The poor, poor slugs. :crying

Hey, those things are pretty invasive around here. :angry: And......they're slimy!! :sick

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

• 7 years later...

My sheep just pooped in my living room and not far off there was a black slug like animal.   I can only presume it came from her poop as I was just cleaning up some sheep poop and went to the kitchen to put away the paper towels.  I came back and found a small pile of poop and then about 4 feet away was a black slug that wasn’t there moments before.   Can this be a worm/parasite I need to treat?  Or was this most likely a slug she swallowed that somehow managed to not get digested and just got pooped out?A72F6BBD-F7CA-4944-BAA6-3BF64A11C4FB.thumb.jpeg.4220aafefb3eaeddccf3b8dd5cbe97c7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Slugs have been known to attach themselves to my sister's collies' legs and rear ends--All that long fur to catch them.  I think they get on the rear ends when the girls squat to pee! Just another reason why I love short-haired greyhounds.