What And When

tra708

Hi,

i was wondering if most people feed their dogs breakfast. if i have time, i'll make them something in the morning (like an egg mixed with kibble), and they happily eat it.

but if i'm in a rush, sometimes i leave kibble in their bowls in the morning, and often they'll leave it there all day, until i mix it with other stuff at dinner time.

do you add anything from your own dinner, if it's healthy?

i guess i'm curious about other people's feeding schedules...when you feed, and what. please share if you have time!

tracy

2rqyqhd.jpg

Summer gets 2 1/2 cups of kibble with warm water for breakfast and about 11 oz. of canned dog food for dinner with salmon oil on it. I don't do add-ins, I find it teaches them to be picky eaters. If she ever has diarrhea, though, I will add in some cooked plain white rice.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest jbbuzby

My pup eats 2 times daily, usually around 12-2 and again late at 9-11. He is not one for breakfast and tends to not finish what is offered if I feed much before noon. If I must (if the schedule demands), I'll just feed him 1 cup in the morning, and then 3 later so he can at least have something in his belly.

As for mix-ins, I'll do this occasionally but not religiously. If I have canned pumpkin, I'll mix in a spoonful or two of that (for every 2 cups of food), or canned dog food, I'll do the same thing. If they don't eat it without, I simply keep that meal for the next one and offer it again...I don't tolerate super picky pups here! Luckily, Ferguson really likes his new food of Dogswell Vitality, so this isn't much of a problem :).

Edited by jbbuzby

Guest Wasserbuffel

I feed Jayne twice a day, but I change what I'm feeding her to suit my time//mood/availability.

Mainly, her meals are kibble and chunks of raw venison with a bit of water. Some days, however, she'll get just meat, just kibble, or either mixed with a can of wet food. Occasionally, I'll pull a raw deer bone with meat on it from the freezer and that will be her meal, but I don't have a lot of those available.

Sometimes she gets leftovers, but the chickens have dibs on those. If I crack one of the chickens' eggs when I'm bringing them up to the house, which happens occasionally, I'll feed that to Jayne too.

That sounds really complicated, but it isn't. I don't really plan the variety, it just happens. Jayne isn't at all a picky eater and pig ears are about the things that affect her, um, "output". She will happily slurp up a bowl of plain kibble after three days of getting her venison on top.

I do easy for me and it works for Annie Bella, who had significant diarrhea issues until about a month ago.

I'm an early riser, and she's hungry when I get up, so breakfast is served about 5:30 AM. It consists of 2 cups of kibble (half is a 'script food from the vet and the other half is Iams in green bag) with warm water mixed in. She gets supper about 4:30 PM. Again it's the kibble but the amount is 1 & 2/3 cups. Sometimes I toss a few bits of cheese on top of the kibble or a few bits of a leftover. I watch her intake closely because she plumps up easily, though we walk 2 to 3 times a day for at least a mile each walk. With winter coming on, and fewer/shorter walks in the bad weather of Upstate New York (I refuse to walk a mile in a blizzard :P), I'll probably reduce her supper kibble to 1.5 cups.

7am when I wake up and 5:30 pm when my wife gets home. 2 cups each feeding of prescription food from the vet with warm water mixed in due to similar issues to Annie Bella.

A couple of prescription treats here and there, maybe a duck treat once in a while if she's been really good (which is pretty much always), a hard boiled egg about once a week and a milk bone about an hour or two before bed to hold her over for the night although it doesn't seem to help because she's always starving if you ask her.

If she stayed at the weight she is, I wouldn't complain although I still thinks a couple of pounds would do her good.

On leaving food in a rush; we can't leave her food because she'd eat everything and anything so we have to measure hers out. As I said a couple of pounds wouldn't hurt but I think she'd eat till she yacked if we left it up to her :)

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

Guest FijiHound

We feed twice a day here. They were on a strict raw food diet but we've changed it up a bit now. So for breakfast they get a cup of kibble with a couple of chicken feet :blink:

Nugget has a pretty tough stomach so dinner is alternated for variety :lol it'll be either raw chicken, tripe, chicken feet, meaty soup bones, and the lucky hunk of lamb. Nugget doesn't like the texture of liver and giblet etc so we don't really give those anymore although it is fun to see her face as she's eating it :rolleyes: Oh and the weekly can of fish where she has to have yoghurt with dinner AND the next day for breakfast otherwise she's toxic :lol

Mine eat 2.25 times per day :lol . Breakfast first thing in the morning (@ 4:15 am), dinner @ 3 pm, and snack (aka training / game treats) @ 5:15 pm. One dog eats mainly kibble, the other eats mainly homecooked. Snack is usually a mix of biscuits and freeze-dried or jerked meat. They get dog-appropriate people leftovers from time to time but I don't make it a point to add something to every meal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I feed 2x per day, raw. During the week they get fed breakfast at about 6 am, weekend - whenever I get up! Supper/dinner varies from 4:30 to 7:30 or sometimes even later. My pack doesn't seem to mind the crazy schedule as long as they get fed. :rolleyes:

For breakfast, I feed pork shoulder, pork heart, and beef heart regularly. Chicken quarters are for supper. I have fed venison, burger (both beef and venison) goose, turkey and elk. I get last year's meat from some hunters so never know what I will get.B)

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Three times a day, meal content changes from meal to meal.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest PiagetsMom

I feed Mirage twice a day, breakfast around 7:30 am and dinner around 4 pm. He eats 1 cup of Orijen Grain Free at each meal, and because he doesn't really chew, I add warm water to help with that.

I do sometimes give him a small treat from our dinner when we're finished, and although he'd eat anything, I limit the things that he's allowed to have. He's had sensitive stomach issues at times, so I try not to push my luck with table food.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Ok, now I feel like I am starving Katie!

She gets fed twice a day. Breakfast around 7-7:30ish and dinner whenever I get home, generally between 5:30 and 8. Weekends are generally twice a day, depending on whether we have class or not. I hold off on feeding her on class days. Since she started off very shy, she's handfed her meals (about 98%) of the time, and they have evolved into training/play sessions, which means that she gets fed kibble. TotW, 2 cups and a bit (under a half cup... I eyeball that, so it's not precise), split between the two meals. Which is why I feel like I am drastically underfeeding her, compared to the other dogs in the thread!

On the other hand, it also sounds like she gets a lot more treats, since I am still working on counter-conditioning her and doing a lot of classes. For that, I use Stella and Chewys, Natural Balance food roll, cheese, hot dogs, liver treats, Wellbars, and some other items if they take my fancy and seem high-value enough to get her to eat them in potentially stressful places. And she gets bits of leftover dinner and lunch, generally a bit of whatever veggies I am having that meal, or some bread or crackers if I am having them. She loves carbs! I sometimes point out to her that she is a dog, and should like meat, but nope.

Rebecca

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Extending on this - but not hijacking - we feed twice a day. Brandi 2 cups of Canidae per meal, Paige 1 and 3/4 cups per meal. We've also been mixing it with plain organic yoghurt. However, my husband thinks the yoghurt is causing the big D - I suspect that its down to the treats they had - but has anyone else found that yoghurt causes a runny tummy?

Guest Wasserbuffel
Ok, now I feel like I am starving Katie!

. . .

TotW, 2 cups and a bit (under a half cup... I eyeball that, so it's not precise), split between the two meals. Which is why I feel like I am drastically underfeeding her, compared to the other dogs in the thread!

As long as she's in good condition, you're not underfeeding her. Jayne gets little more than what you're feeding Katie, we're not doing much training anymore. She gets 3 cups of TOTW per day split between the two meals, or the equivalent of that ammount when I add other stuff. For example, when I add the raw venison to her meal she gets a full cup of TOTW and a full cup, maybe a little more, of meat. The volume is larger simply because of the water content of the meat. Jayne raced at 57 pounds, with the way I feed her she maintains a pet weight of about 60 pounds. She'll usually weigh anywhere from 59-62 when I get her weighed and I'm happy with that range.

Guest PiagetsMom

Extending on this - but not hijacking - we feed twice a day. Brandi 2 cups of Canidae per meal, Paige 1 and 3/4 cups per meal. We've also been mixing it with plain organic yoghurt. However, my husband thinks the yoghurt is causing the big D - I suspect that its down to the treats they had - but has anyone else found that yoghurt causes a runny tummy?

Yogurt is one of the treats that I do share with Mirage. I eat the full-fat Fage for breakfast, and save him a Tablespoon. There was a link posted here recently about yogurt and dogs, and I think they recommended if you give it, to give the full fat. I have seen others post that yogurt gives their pups the runs, so it's obviously not a good choice for all pups.

Guest goofyfoot1

Hi, we feed Buster twice a day 5:30-6:00am and 4:30-5:00 pm but it can change at any time no big deal.. He gets 1cup of Honest Kitchen and 1/2 cup of kibble ( it makes the food last longer)for each feeding. yogurt and treats through out the day and upon final turn out.. it seems to work for him and us. OH and he gets a bone marrow two hours after dinner. his is steady at 82Lbs. in the summer with more running he can get down to 80-81..

Edited by goofyfoot1

TOTW Pacific Stream at 8, 2 cups and then at 4 another 2 cups with warm water and some canned food mixed in, only 1/4 cup.

Same food, one cup at 5:30 AM, one cup at 4 PM. Warm water. Salmon oil in the evening, a 50 mg Deramaxx in the AM! Laughing Cow cheese wedge and Gabapentin after super. Mmmmm. Cheeeeeeeeeze!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest snoopycomehome

TOTW Pacific Stream at 8, 2 cups and then at 4 another 2 cups with warm water and some canned food mixed in, only 1/4 cup.

Same food, one cup at 5:30 AM, one cup at 4 PM. Warm water. Salmon oil in the evening, a 50 mg Deramaxx in the AM! Laughing Cow cheese wedge and Gabapentin after super. Mmmmm. Cheeeeeeeeeze!

Oh.my.goodness. :blink: My Gypsy Girl isn't eating lately since starting on Imuran for her auto-immune illness (CUPS)...so after I read this I went to the fridge and popped open a Laughing Cow for her and I swear she made a 'suction' sound as she inhaled it! :yay

What's funny is I was thinking 'Who would feed laughing cows to their dog?' lol. And my husband says *I* spoil the dogs!