Jack.....again

Last week Jack started to not eat so well again. Previous Thread

By Friday, he was not eating at all, and he was panting and trembling. So back to the vet we went yesterday. What it comes down to is this: the vet thinks it could be one of three things.

1. he is simply prone to gastritis

2. IBD

3. pancreatitis

We are having a blood test done to HOPEFULLY determine yes or no on the pancreatitis--the test is not always conclusive, though.

He is back on sucralfate and pepcid.

He is now on rx food--low residue.

They gave him an injection of a pepcid-type thing, and also an injection of Cerenia. The cerenia made him SCREAM...they warned us it stings, and it was horrid to hear him screaming!!

However, by dinner time yesterday he was feeling much better, and ate his dinner. :) He also ate breakfast. :) Seems to be calmer, no longer panting and trembling. :)

The vet said that if this doesn't work, the next possible step(s) would be ultrasound and/or scoping. She also said some dogs just need to be on pepcid long-term. He does seem to like the rx food, so that's a plus, too.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I am so sorry Jack has been feeling bad again, but that is encouraging that he ate after getting the meds :) Fletcher never lost his appetite when we were figuring out his IBD (or anytime since :rolleyes:) but it can take each dog differently. I hope it's just a sensitive tummy, and long term pepcid will fix him up. My old girl was on pepcid for several years because all the other meds she was on upset her tummy.

also an injection of Cerenia. The cerenia made him SCREAM...they warned us it stings, and it was horrid to hear him screaming!!

Glad Jack is doing better, and I hope it's nothing serious. Just wanted to comment on this Cerenia issue. Ask your vet if they keep it in the fridge. It stings a lot less if given cold, and it's still just as effective. They can contact the manufacturer to confirm this if they've never heard of this and won't just take your word on it based on something you read on the internet. :) Since I learned about this, I almost never have dogs scream from Cerenia injections anymore.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm glad Jack is going better after the meds and hope you can find what is wrong.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Well, Jack does NOT have pancreatitis. :) I had a call from the vet last night about the blood test.

I asked her about him being on the sucralfate long-term, if he needs to be. She said he 'could' be on it long term, but if he declines after finishing his round of it, we should investigate WHY. So I am to finish his course of that, along with pepcid, and then keep him on the pepcid. Hopefully he will be okay.

On a happy note, I bought 170 tablets of Costco brand "pepcid" for $9.99. :) That beats Walgreen's generic at 25 pills for $7or $8. :eek

The prescription food seems to be working, as far as yard cleanup goes. :rolleyes: Not perfect, but pretty good for Jack. :)

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.