Bleeding Gums

Guest tanner

Her teeth are pretty clean, but her gums bleed and are bright red. I brush her teeth and wipe her gums everyday with peroxide. She is 11 so I don't want to have her teeth cleaned. Help

Sounds like she might have gum disease. I'd ask the vet to look at her, and talk to him/her about putting your dog on pulse antibiotics if it's gum disease. Both of my girls were/are on pulse antibiotics. You give them antibiotics for one week each month. Ruby took clindamycin, and Rascal is on flagyl (because the vet thinks she may have a gum abscess, and she is 12.5, with cancer, so we don't want to do a dental :().

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I may be wrong, if so, someone please correct me but doesnt peroxide break down gum tissue?

It doesn't in humans, at least this human. I've been rinsing my mouth with a water-peroxide mixture for decades and have good mouth health.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

My Bravo, who is only 5, had to have a dental (with extra precautions) and had his gums packed with Doxy-gel to try to get them to re-adhere. He has chronic gingivitis.

Since he had his dental in mid-August, I've been feeding him Honest Kitchen Zeal -- which is a grain free, human quality, raw, freeze dried fish based food. It's also easily digestible and not high protein. (All this to forestall gingivitis).

Sometimes I rinse his teeth of with room temperature water from a spray bottle; most nights I brush gently with an enzymatic toothpaste for dogs. And at the slightest sign of red gums, I put a couple drops of a product called "FidoDent" (you can find it on Amazon) which is an herbal medication specific for preventing gingivitis and other gum disease. My vet recommended it. I also have PetzLife on hand (recommended by Dr. Radcliffe from WV) should he develop any plaque, but so far -- no plaque, no red gums, shiny white teeth at 3 months post dental.

I hesitate to use anything harsh on gums that are already irritated (and Hurt); when I brush I am Very gentle and brush on the teeth only not up on the gums.

Anyway, I'm thrilled that this seems to be working. Oh and he loves the food.

I hesitate to use anything harsh on gums that are already irritated (and Hurt); when I brush I am Very gentle and brush on the teeth only not up on the gums.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the most important place to brush is right along the gumline, which is where bacteria and plaque build up cause gum/periodontal disease. If you're just brushing the crown of the tooth and staying away from the gumline, it may help with cosmetically white teeth but won't help prevent dental disease.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Brushing gums, bleeding a bit of not, is how you stimulate blood flow and thus healing and flush out accumulated bacteria - in humans and dogs. Not doing so because if GD or bleeding only increases those issues, so it seems counter productive to me.

Guest Brindle2Black

Our Mabel's gums bled all the time too. She ended getting all but her canines pulled by the time she was 13. No amount teeth cleaning or brushing helped. She tried to chew on the things I gave her to help her teeth, even the softer ones, but it usually hurt too much. Sometimes the gum disease is just too far advanced.