Vomiting Black Calcified "pebbles"

Guest 2Brindles

Guest 2Brindles

My DH and I have had Clancy now for a month. Aside from having soft stool (which we are addressing), he has been an ebullient, happy and goofy boy. This morning I awoke to hear him munching on something. Shortly thereafter he vomited up what appeared to be two dark, calcified pebble-like objects. We think it may be food that he isn't processing very well and is subsequently "recycling", but I was wondering if any other grey owner is experiencing this, and if so what it could point to. Like I said, he eats, drinks, and acts normally - but we are wondering if he may be experiencing digestive/gastrointestinal issues. He is eating Taste of the Wild kibble at present.

Guest BrianRke

I doubt it was food, it would not come back up in the form of hard pebbles. It was probably that thing (whatever it was) he was munching on. Sometimes the body rejects items it cannot digest. I wouldnt worry too much, just keep an eye on him.

This was just a one time incident, right?

Guest greyers

Ewh. I only know that coffee like grinds can be found in the ears....I don't know what it means to throw them up. :blink: Likely he threw up whatever he was eating a little bit prior.

Coffee like grounds in the blood in humans (and I assume dogs too) means there is blood. If someone is throwing up coffee ground dark emesis it means they have an internal bleed somewhere (often bleeding ulcer).

I agree with the first poster that I do not think this was kibble thrown back up, I think it was something your dog ate. Perhaps he ate some small stones and they came back up?

I would keep a close eye on him and if there is anything else unusual I would call your vet. if he seems well, eats well, plays and there are no more episodes of this then I think it might just be something he "tried" to digest.

Guest 2Brindles

Do you still have the "pebbles"? Can you dissect them?

Yes we saved one of them. I don't have it on me at the moment but I will take a closer look later. I don't think it's an actual rock because it is somewhat malleable. Of course we are also consulting our vet.

Guest 2Brindles

If it's malleable, could it be rabbit poop?

Now that I think of it, he did eat deer poop when I took them out for a walk in the yard - but that was Sunday - could it have stayed in his stomach all this time?

Guest HoundyGirl

If it's malleable, could it be rabbit poop?

Now that I think of it, he did eat deer poop when I took them out for a walk in the yard - but that was Sunday - could it have stayed in his stomach all this time?

Yes If it's not digesting, it can stay in the stomach a very long time.