Could This Be A Corn?

Guest JsMom

Our dog has always had pretty sensitive feet... Hates having his nails done, doesn't like his feet touched at all (ticklish, maybe?), and on walks he'll frequently limp or simply stop walking til you check his paws and brush off the little tiny pebbles that sometimes get stuck in his pads.

This morning, he stopped dead in his tracks and stood there. I checked the foot I thought was bugging him (after 6 years I'm pretty good at guessing when he doesn't tell me!) and there were no pebbles, nothing stuck. But I did notice a round area near the claw (so on the tip of his little toe) that looks different. It's mainly the same color as his pads but maybe a bit pink. It just looked like a circle there, like it was smoother than the rest of his pad, or rougher, or somehow just different. He limped along for the rest of the walk and now he's lying around. He let me touch it, it doesn't feel hard or anything, and then he pulled it away. After a few minutes, he must have decided that he doesn't want to tempt me into poking him again, and got up and left the room.

He does lick his rear paws a lot, and I assume it's allergies but now I'm wondering if he has something else going on with that toe that is just now starting to surface.

He is 9 1/2 and we've had him 6 1/2 years. He's NEVER had a corn before -- is it really likely that he would suddenly develop one? I know some dogs are just naturally prone to them and get them all the time, but this seems odd.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Hi - my 10 y/o Greyhound Buzz has corns. He used to get them on his back feet but not any longer. He gets them on his front feet pads. Corns are very painful for dogs and definitely can cause limping. But, when I took Buzz in for a dental, I asked the vet to check out his limping to make sure it wasn't something more and it ended up that Buzz has arthritis in both of his wrists which was causing a lot of his limping besides the corns. He's now on Meloxicam and rarely limps now except when his corns act up. I remove them once a month. So you might check with your vet about arthritis and if you can, take a photo, of the spot on your hound's foot so we can see if it looks like a corn.

Try to post photos of the pads on his "limpy" foot--a photo of his pads dry, and a second photo with the pads wet. Sometimes things show better wet than dry.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

A good way to test for a corn is to take the toe in question from each side and give it a firm but gentle squeeze. If he pulls back, it could be a corn. Of course, since your pup doesn't like his feet touched anyway, he may pull back regardless. :dunno

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Argh. Our camera is so crappy I can't get a shot of his foot that actually looks like anything. It's just a very faint circle. It's not raised or lumpy, and not hard. (I did squeeze it and he pulled away a bit, but not as if in much pain -- more "get the heck away from me, you nut!") I'm wondering now if it's just a "spot" on his pad like he has on the rest of his body! Parts of his pads are pink and the rest are gray; it could just be coloring. He hasn't limped specifically on that foot again -- he's limping all over the place, but not on that particular foot. I'm a little scared that it's arthritis or something, although he's still raring to go for walks and ran a little bit this morning.

Has he been walking on concrete or pavement? Sometimes some pink will show on the pads just from wear on hard surfaces. If it is smooth, pink and soft it may be wear. Corns have a different texture, are harder than surrounding pad and if you haven't see it yet, will see some edge to them.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey