Osteo Or Pin Removal

Guest kar

Greyt news!! Hope he has a fast and easy recovery. Wow, $2,600 to remove the pins? My cat Marley has pins and plates in her rear leg. That surgery was about $4,000. That was five years ago

and I hope her pins are in to stay.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Great news!

FYI, recovery from a pin removal needs to be taken slowly. I'm sure they'll give you all of the instructions, but when my foster went through it, we had a hard splint for a while - I think they had wanted longer, but he was getting sores so they agreed to take it off sooner (maybe after a week or two) because they knew I would absolutely not let him do anything to damage it. I basically kept him crated when I wasn't home and in an x-pen and separated from my dogs anytime we weren't going outside. Leashed potty walks only, absolutely NO jumping. We did this for several weeks and then VERY slowly started reintroducing longer walks. You just need to be very careful until those holes where the pins used to be have filled in. Hopefully they will pack it with a synthetic material.

Glad to hear he is getting that taken care of and will be on teh road to recovery very soon!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Scotch got through the surgery ok. one of the pins was loose. he does have an infection though and has to stay overnight. They have him on iv antibiodics. she did say his liver function was slightly elevated but feel he was a little dehydrated. I did not allow him to drink from about 8 pm last night in case surgery was needed. has anyone ever head this happen? Snow my female keeps looking for him. the house seems empty without him. can't get him until 5 pm tomorrow since he will not be ready in the morning and I have the dreaded work. It will be a long day and night.

Don't worry about slight elevation in liver values now -- almost any stress can do that, the more so surgery + anaesthesia + heavy-duty antibiotics + a little dehydration.

Sending best wishes for a complete and quick recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So thankful for the diagnosis!!! Good news was definitely needed around here today!

Best wishes for a smooth recovery (even though I'm sure it will be tough to keep him quiet while healing).

I hope he can come home to you soonest!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

What wonderful news - here's hoping your boy is home with you soon, and healing up without a hitch!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

scotch is home! he has a drain for the infection and has to go back on sat. but he has an e collar and has to wear it for two weeks. he is not doing too good with the e collar. i had to hand feed him and had to take it off so he could go outside - he can't see teh steps with it on. do you think he will acclimate himself to it he will not even move with it on but i guess tht is a good thing he is exercise restricted for two weeks. he is on rimadyl 75 mg, tramadol 50 mg and clavamox 250 2x day for infection. does this sould right?

Hi, kar, I don't remember clavamox amounts but the rimadyl is fine; tramadol you could increase if he seems to be in pain. Is the e-collar a clear one? You can usually get clear ones for cheap at Petsmart/Petco or a different vet's office if yours doesn't carry them. *Most* pups will adapt pretty well to a clear one.

Glad he is home!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hope he's feeling better soon!

$2600???? Pinky's amputation surgery plus hospitalization was only $2000. You're right though-worth every penny :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

his is a clear collar i had to take it off for him to lie down, and then put it back on - otherwise he would not lie down - he is not a greyhound he is a pussy cat, but i love him.

he is on rimadyl 75 mg, tramadol 50 mg and clavamox 250 2x day for infection. does this sould right?

How much does Scotch weigh? 250 mg of Clavamox would be low for a typical greyhound. That's the dose for a 40 lb dog.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

How is he doing today?

• 3 weeks later...

scotch got his stiches out and seems to be healing however he still will not leave the leg alone. i still have to use the collar because if i am not looking he licks the leg. i know the leg has no hair but does anyone know how long it takes for them to stop licking. i don't want another infection.