Fighting A Losing Battle

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

We've been down a long and winding road with Stella...first an elusive cushings diagnosis and some time to get her meds right. Then she gets cancer in a sweat gland of her foot, toe removed but the cancer was present in the lymph node of her leg so metastases are a possibility. Through this all she has lost weight and we've battled to get her to eat. Just before her toe was removed she'd gone on another hunger strike. She has never bounced back and this was back in June.

She is pretty much down to skin and bones. Today I had to put a coat on her because she was shivering even in the warm sunroom.

We had her in to the vet a few weeks ago for an exam, bloodwork and xrays. Nothing remarkable and her lungs are clear, no sign of cancer there. Teeth are fine. Bloodwork is unremarkable.

But she's not eating. We've tried everything. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. Raw food, cooked food, kibbles, beef, chicken, pork, fish, coconut milk, bread, cheese, human leftovers, canned cat food. Nothing interests her. She eats enough to barely stay alive....yesterday it was one chicken drumstick. So far today, about half a chicken breast. We've tried feeding her in the morning, at night, offering it several times a day. Hand feeding, crate feeding, outside in the yard. "Tough love" and leaving her in a crate with food. She just will not eat.

Today she looks tired. Very tired. I've picked up the phone to make a vet appointment several times today, but at this point I don't even know what to ask them for. We've done everything short of MRI her entire body (though we have had MRIs of her abdomen several times to check her kidneys and for tumors on her adrenals).

I wasn't even sure if this should go in H&M or soapbox. :weep I can't let her go on like this much longer...clearly something is wrong. A healthy dog won't starve themselves, right?

Edited by KennelMom

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

I'm sorry, Heather.

The only things I might try in a situation like yours would be tummy meds and prednisone. But, you've probably already gone there, and sometimes it is not what you want to do.

Gentle scritchies to your girl and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've discovered over the years that healthy dogs do not starve themselves to death. My dogs send a clear signal to me. You're describing Gee, I was jumping through hoops to get her to eat. She finally told me with her eyes.

I'm so sorry Heather. It's always so freaking hard.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest KennelMom

:(

I'm sorry, Heather.

The only things I might try in a situation like yours would be tummy meds and prednisone. But, you've probably already gone there, and sometimes it is not what you want to do.

Gentle scritchies to your girl and hugs for yourself.

We haven't tried pred, but I believe it's contraindicated with Cushings. I can ask the vet about that though to be sure.

I was just telling Ken that I'm so frustrated b/c I haven't given up but I feel like my dog has :( She's only 10! I keep telling myself that she's so young.

Guest SueG201

My good friend has to force feed her silken windhound 2x a day, she is now 3 yrs old and has not wanted to eat since she got her at 10 wks old.10K worth of testing done and they can find nothing wrong with her except to tell her the dogs part of the brain which tells the dog to eat is not working. I wish you luck with Stella, 10 yrs is old is too young Hugs

Guest budsmom

Ask your vet about mirtazipine. It's a human antidepressant but is used as an appetite stimulant in animals. It's pretty cheap, and easy to give (it's a tiny pill), very little side effects and works pretty quickly. I'd try it if it were me, it might just jump start her eating.

You're right, a healthy dog won't starve themselves.

I went through this with Dear & the outcome was not good. But what helped was Batmom sent him some tripe.

I tried babyfood, ice cream, steak, and finally the tripe got him to eat for 3 days.

'You're in my heart...

Guest KennelMom

Ask your vet about mirtazipine. It's a human antidepressant but is used as an appetite stimulant in animals. It's pretty cheap, and easy to give (it's a tiny pill), very little side effects and works pretty quickly. I'd try it if it were me, it might just jump start her eating.

I called our vet and left a vm asking about this. Since it was once a possible/hopeful treatment for Cushings, it seems like she would be able to take it.

Her cushings was previously managed/monitored by an internist at the specialty hospital, but that doc left for another practice and we've transitioned that part of her care to our regular vet.

Could be the Cushings. Something is definitely telling her not to eat.

A little different, but basically the same disease, my Dad had Cushings and had absolutely no appetite. He also felt like he would get sick if he ate. He lost a lot of weight fast. Fortunately, a fantastic doctor was able to diagnose it and he was able to have surgery. The Cushings is gone with a complete recovery.

Feel better, Stella.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest greyers

:( :( I'm so very sorry Kennelmom to hear about this. Its heartbreaking to read and I cannot imagine what you must be going through right now, especially after treating her for so long for such a variety of things.

I know that people say a healthy dog won't starve themselves, but I believe that one of mine would. She is not fully right in the head though... our "touched" child.

I have no advice to offer you other that I think that trying the antidepressant might be a good option. If it doesn't work for her, then it doesn't, but if you are anything like me, you will beat yourself up over the decision not to try it later on. You have done SO MUCH for Stella and when its time, its time and you will know it for sure and I hope you have no regrets and know that you always did the best for her. Hugs to you and your family :grouphug

OH.... if her appetite does start to increase I have one suggestion you might not have tried. Sounds like you have tried them all, but I recently got Prudence to start eating by giving her stella and Chewys dehydrated raw patties. You can feed it even like a "treat" to stimulate her appetite a bit. Its ungawdly expensive if you had to feed it to her solely, but I have now heard of several people who have said it was a lifesaver for their sick dogs. Prudence wasn't sick, but her pickiness intensified after JJ's death and this is the first thing we have ever tried with her that has had consistent GOOD results. I have tried almost EVERYTHING in the 4 years I have had her.... this stuff has been a godsend for us personally. Just an idea in case it helps. Again, I know you have tried everything, but for us this was the answer.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best whatever the decision will be. Stay strong Heather.

Guest Swifthounds

I've discovered over the years that healthy dogs do not starve themselves to death. My dogs send a clear signal to me. You're describing Gee, I was jumping through hoops to get her to eat. She finally told me with her eyes.

I'm so sorry Heather. It's always so freaking hard.

:nod

I agree.

I usually skip the usual enticements and force feed (which, I know, sounds much worse than it is) because getting food in them and fast to get them back on their feet either turns things around and they'll eat on their own or it doesn't and I know they've made their choice.

Over the years I had force fed Comet on occasion when he would stop eating because he was ill or injured and the turnaround was pretty swift with the force feeding. I knew we were at the end when that didn't happen this last time.

I can't remember if it was the mirtazipine or something else that we had Sutra on, but, it was used as an appetite stimulant and it helped when he was coming back from his bout with pancreatitis. One time I did have to syringe feed him a mixture of mashed potatoes and Ensure to "prime" his tummy to get the whole works moving again. I only had to do it for a day or so and then he started eating on his own, but he ate mushy, easy to digest items like mashed potatoes and boiled elbow macaroni. Ensure was a lifesaver for us too.

It's so tough when they won't eat. If the vet can't find anything wrong with her, I think I'd give the appetite stimulant a try and even try syringe feeding her (maybe you did, I just realized that I read your post pretty fast and can't remember everything you said :lol)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest KennelMom

I'm going to pick up some mirtazipine tomorrow at the vet. We can give it right away, even though she got her weekly dose of lysodren for Cushings today. Fingers crossed that this gets something going. We half of our crew at noon and half around 5pm...I offered her a second meal today and she ate a a bit more...a good sized leg quarter, but that's not enough.

I was also going to suggest to try mirtazipine. It works better in cats than dogs but, it sure can't hurt.

Have you contacted Dr Couto to get his thoughts??

I haven't contacted Dr. C since this is so far outside what he primarily deals with...though I guess this could be secondary to cancer.

It's just hard to know if the inappetance is due to her Cushings (though according to the ACTH stim test it's well controlled) or cancer that may be somewhere in her body (though we can't see any sign of mets or other swollen lymph nodes at this point).

I'm sorry to hear about Stella.

Sometimes there's a little "click that happens in the head" and the dog won't eat anymore. I had one of these dogs years ago and it happened after he had some minor surgery. Once he came out he wouldn't eat by himself and we had to force feed at least 1/2 the food and then he could be coaxed to eat the rest but only out of our hands (and sitting in my lap) -- this went on for years. We fed him hamburg mixed with bread crumbs and just fried it up a bit. Other than the eating, he was healthy.

This also sometimes happens to senior people - they start eating less and less and then they are just not hungry anymore because at some point it seems to "shut off some switch in their systems" which would cause them to feel hunger and to eat. With some of these seniors they might be starving themselves" because they just don't realize they are not eating. Since many of the staff responsible for a person at nursing homes change so frequently, they usually don't know that they person has not been eating for days/weeks.

I suggest getting some books on "starving" as some of the discussions are likely to deal with the fact that the starving person might be in a somewhat "euphoric state". It might be the same for a dog ... after some time of not eating well, their natural prompts to eat are just not there anymore.

I guess I'm with the camp that is suggesting force-feeding as one option for at least for a period to see if it helps to stimulate the appetite.

I'm going to pick up some mirtazipine tomorrow at the vet. We can give it right away, even though she got her weekly dose of lysodren for Cushings today. Fingers crossed that this gets something going. We half of our crew at noon and half around 5pm...I offered her a second meal today and she ate a a bit more...a good sized leg quarter, but that's not enough.

I was also going to suggest to try mirtazipine. It works better in cats than dogs but, it sure can't hurt.

Have you contacted Dr Couto to get his thoughts??

I haven't contacted Dr. C since this is so far outside what he primarily deals with...though I guess this could be secondary to cancer.

It's just hard to know if the inappetance is due to her Cushings (though according to the ACTH stim test it's well controlled) or cancer that may be somewhere in her body (though we can't see any sign of mets or other swollen lymph nodes at this point).

Dr Couto is not only an oncologist he's also a boarded Internist too---give him a call.