Laser Corn Removal

Guest greenbottle27

Guest greenbottle27

I just had Gina's 5 corns removed (laser) and dental. All 5 corns were very bad, protruding like nailheads, on all 4 paws. We went into this knowing this most likely won't be the do all end all and there might be a long healing period, but 3 days postop I am tickled pink, thus far.

This wasn't expensive at all and I think all things considered, Gina is walking better already - that's how bad the corns were. I am pleased with NGAP in terms of our vet visit.

Anybody wanting more info on my experience, just give a shout. Best of luck to all the other corn doggers out there!

~julie

Guest greenbottle27

More info, please. :) Jack has two very painful corns, and I have tried so many things....they keep coming back.

Awe, poor Jack :( Corns just stink. Plain and simple. I hope you find something to provide some type of relief.

Well, I had tried everything for Gina's corns and the laser treatment for us, in our minds, was last resort. To me there was more negativity on surgical/laser removal so going public with this is hard. Obviously, for fear of being judged :unsure

Gina didn't know which paw to limp on they were so bad. So, on a semi-whim, last week I called NGAP and made the appt. I had never been there before so I was excited to see the facility and hit the Franklin Mills Mall 2.8 miles away while I waited for my baby :P I was on the fence about laser for the longest time and the cost (so I thought) was a small factor. Knowing that the corns might come back didn't deter me because you never know unless you try was my mindset after I made the appointment. ANd to this day I have not heard of any corn related deaths as a result of laser treatment. Overall, Gina is healthy otherwise and I had no other concerns.

Gina was due for her DHLPP shot which I told them to give her. We had just had a dental in March so I did have a CBC with me saving me $25. During Gina's once over, Dr. Patel noted there was a little tarter on her teeth..."we can just take care of that since she will be under" I thought to myself it couldn't be much tarter - she just had a dental, but whatever. After the once over, they took her in the back and from that point on, it took about 2 1/5 hours before I got the call she was ready for pick-up. The bill broke down as follows:

Rimadyl - 18.00

Clindamycin - 14.00

teeth cleaning/polish whcih includes anesthesia protocal and isoflurane gas - 150.00

5 laser corn removal - 100.00

nail clipping - 10.00

DHLPP - 20.00

booties - 20.00

fecal - 15.00

exam new client - 0.00

$347.00 net

Oh, plus the lunch with the toddler at Dave and Busters, new Kenneth Cole messenger bag and a cute winter coat - thank you Franklin Mills Mall :blush

I think I got away cheap to reasonable. Less the mall purchases ;) I have been to more expensive places and to cheaper (my vet's dentals are $130). I was not happy about having a "dental" but I get that she was already knocked out. Perhaps if I had seen before and after pics I would have a better understanding of how much tarter was removed from her last dental in March to justify charging for a dental...?? Who knows...

Leaving the office Gina didn't limp AT ALL. I think it was a combo of the rimadyl and her excitement she wasn't really feeeling any pain. Today she isn't limping but more walking gingerly on her paws. But it is really hard to tell cause I am a stickler about wearing the booties and applying the ointment on her paws. I truly believe that she has less pain now than before the laser. And she is only going to feel better...unless, if, those darn things come back. And, if they do, I deal with that when the times comes. But for now, I know I did the right thing. There was no blood and she isn't licking or fighting me. Her tail wags, she goes to the door for a potty walk and she stands on all four to eat meals.

Honestly, I can't believe I waited so long to have the laser done. It is not for everybody but for us, yes, this far. If her paw become infected or her toe falls off I'm sure I'll change my song and dance but I'm fairly certain we will be ok. Even if for a short while.

If you have anything specific, u can e-mail me greenbottle27@hotmail.com apparently I'm such a newbie I cannot send or receive a pm.

Hope this helps!

~julie

Guest greenbottle27

I wanted to add that although I wasn't impressed with the front desk staff, I would go back to NGAP if the situation were to come up again. I like my local vet and going to NGAP was solely based on the laser corn removal. In addition, the boarding facility was nice too. They tried really hard to push the Murry cream when I checked-out, even after I told them I already had and tried it at home...the purchase price was $60. I didn't even bother to ask for what size.

Somebody at my work just asked me what her paws looked like and tonight I will take a few pics and try to post them. Seems you can find hull pics everywhere but postop laser pics are harder to find. Maybe it's just me. In short, they are crators in the pads just like after you hull but you can see where the "pit" is a little deeper. But, this all depends on the severity of the corn itself.

Dr.Patel said Gina had a very, very bad case. So many and so tick and hard - like flathead screws sticking out.

3 days later though and it already looks like the "pits" are starting to fill in and regenerate. I know that's not the case this fast, but it sure does look that way.

Thanks for posting. I'm sure all of us with corn dogs will be interested to hear how things go for Gina. goodluck.gif I had my Conor's front corns surgically removed (not with a laser) & they haven't come back. He's got scar tissue instead which is uncomfortable but not nearly as bad as the corns. He could barely walk with them. sad.gif Now for his rear corns, we're using the cream ($60 is the cost of the tube - I think it only comes in one size). Would be interesting to hear if NGAP has had success with it.

Keep us posted!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I used the cream, too, along with the hyaluronic acid to soften the pad first--together they cost me $100, and it didn't work. I used it faithfully, twice daily, until it was gone. :(

I will also be interested to see how your dog does.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I had my angel Zema's lasered. My vet hulled it first, then "just barely kissed" the hulled surface with the surgical laser. She was corn-free for 9 months. At that time she got two tiny corns (on the neighboring toe IIRC); hulled those and she was corn free for the rest of her life (@ 2 years).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greenbottle27

I had my angel Zema's lasered. My vet hulled it first, then "just barely kissed" the hulled surface with the surgical laser. She was corn-free for 9 months. At that time she got two tiny corns (on the neighboring toe IIRC); hulled those and she was corn free for the rest of her life (@ 2 years).

To me, this is a success story... I hope for the best and anticipate the worse in terms of the corns. I hope I am as lucky as your Zema.