Need Help Understanding Lab Work

Pudge le mutt is our 9 year old mixed breed girl. She's never had the need for any kind of big testing but I asked for a senior panel to be included in her yearly checkup.

Here I was worried about Harold's failing kidneys and we learn the Pudge's kidneys are worse.

Values that weren't (regular dog) normal:

albumin 2.1 LOW (2.5-4.0)

MCV 78 HIGH (60-77)

MCH 26.1 HIGH (19.5-26.0)

neutrophil seg 79 HIGH (60-77)

urine reported a trace of blood

urine protein 4+

urine protein 937.9

urine creatinine 217.8

urine pro/creat ratio 4.3

BUN and creatinine were normal

no crystals

specific gravity 1.042

no bacteria

WBC, RBC, HGB, HCT all normal

Vet says she's got proteinuria but is not azotemic. She'll be on Enelapril and Royal Canin MP kibble. Harold's on the LP kibble. Harold also gets fish oil and aspirin but it wasn't suggested for Pudge.

We are to retest within 2 months. She has lost weight but I had been contributing that to less treats. I *feel* like she will crash in the next few months.

My confusion with the report is, is it not unusual to have normal BUN and creatinine but still have urine protein at 4+ ?

I cannot figure out how to easily understand the kidney L-list. :dunno That messaging system makes no sense to me.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

There are different forms of renal disease. Pudge's is GN. You still have a very functioning kidney it's just allowing protein to pass. Basically the glomerular tubes have become porous. The enalapril will ease the pressure through the kidneys. Sometimes GN can be a secondary disease do to an immune mediated disease.

There are different forms of renal disease. Pudge's is GN. You still have a very functioning kidney it's just allowing protein to pass. Basically the glomerular tubes have become porous. The enalapril will ease the pressure through the kidneys. Sometimes GN can be a secondary disease do to an immune mediated disease.

Can you think of any other testing that should be done?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png