Leg Cramps/muscle Spasms

My almost 15 year old whippet suffers from occasional muscle spasms/leg cramps. He has been seen by the vet for this. They recommended enzymes to help, but not a specific product. He won't eat bananas. He does drink a good amount, but won't if something has been added to the water. His tongue is half paralyzed (will only move out of one side of his mouth) so feeding can be an issue. Does anyone have any suggestions? He has enough issues without having this, too! My poor little Boo. Thanks.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Not sure what "enzymes" they're talking about or what those would do. Does he get adequate calcium? If you're wanting to supplement potassium, another good source is molasses, especially blackstrap. Check the label of the brand you get and compare it to a banana so as not to overdo.

And gentle scritchies to your fellow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GryffinSong

I sometimes suffer from leg cramps, especially at night. I know I'm not a dog, but magnesium supplements helped me, and as long as I remember to take them, I'm cramp free. Good luck to your whippet!!! :wub:

Can you mash banana into some wet food and mix well? Our maybe banana pumpkin cookies. Rain Dog treats makes homemade cookies and will put in whatever you need and make the dogs beg like crazy. (shes in the merch section). Shes also been known to make the cookies a little smaller for smaller dogs, which may be good if your guy has trouble eating.

Edited by Sambuca