Do Greyhounds Feel Compassion For Each Other?

winnie

We just found out last night that our Faye Oops has what appears to be osteo in her left front shoulder. Faye Oops has been limping and having trouble with stairs. Faye Oops and Celeste are pretty bonded. I noticed last night that Celeste has been patiently waiting at the bottom of the stairs watching Faye Oops climb them. Perhaps this has been going on for awhile now. Still, I like to think that Celeste knows that Faye Oops leg hurts and wants to make sure she is OK. She doesn't act this way with either Bonny or Darcy.

DSC00762.jpg

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Yes, they absolutely do, especially pairs who are particularly bonded to one another.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I think some do feel compassion. When our Happy was so sick, on IVs, basically starving to death, Wabi would very gently scoot in and cuddle with her. She liked to cuddle anyway, but she wasn't always so gentle about her approach! :lol It looked like concern, to me. :wub:

I was so sorry to read about Faye Oops diagnosis. I hope you have a lot of precious and joyful moments together still to share.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm so sorry about Faye Oops! I think it's so heart warming that her friend, Celeste loves her so much and is apparently very caring of her! Have they been together long?

Unfortunately my Greyhounds never seemed to bond to each other. ^Spencer^ LOVED Emmy to pieces and Emmy could have cared less about him. ^Spencer^ really disliked Buzz when Buzz came into my household. Buzz tried very hard to cozy up but ^Spencer^ would have none of that. Now that it's just Emmy & Buzz, I see Emmy liking Buzz more than Buzz likes her. I'm just destined to have dogs that don't bond together. Nothing wrong with that but it's nice to hear stories like Faye Oops and Celeste!

I'm so sorry about Faye Oops! I think it's so heart warming that her friend, Celeste loves her so much and is apparently very caring of her! Have they been together long?

We've had Faye Oops since Memorial Day 2010 and adopted her on my birthday last November. So, not too long. Celeste was our first greyhound. She didn't really bond with either Darcy or Bonny - both who came long before Faye Oops - so we were a bit surprised to see how she bonded with Faye Oops. Faye Oops was the only greyhound in her last home.

Guest Downtownhoundz

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I do believe that the other pets in the house sense when another one is hurting or sick. When my Kylie was so sick, my little ruddy Aby girl,Mouse, who was ailing herself, stayed right by Kylie's side for those horrible three weeks until she was gone. My Mouse died two days later from grief.

Guest zombrie

Absolutely. My golden Caesar is my sensitive boy. If someone so much has a cut on their leg, he follows them around, never straying too far from them.

When Manny was here, whenever he had his seizure bouts, Caesar NEVER left his side. Truly amazing to watch him.

Again, I am so sorry to hear about Faye Oops

I am so sorry to hear about Fay Oops. I hope you have many more good days together. I do believe they feel compassion, not just for each other but for their skin family too. I was sick for quite some time (much better now B) ) my heart girl never left my side. If I was asleep I'd wake and she would just be laying by my side watching me.

Dogs are angels with fur!

There was a long thread about this topic about a month ago, can't seem to find it now...:(

Here's the link to the previous thread. I shared a couple stories(and links to photos) of my pups there and absolutely believe that they feel compassion for each other.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

There was a long thread about this topic about a month ago, can't seem to find it now...:(

Here's the link to the previous thread. I shared a couple stories(and links to photos) of my pups there and absolutely believe that they feel compassion for each other.

Thank you for sharing that link. Truly heart warming stories. I hope Celeste continues to look over Faye Oops like your animals did with each other.

I had never thought of my Joey being especially empathetic towards my other dogs. He was towards me, but I hadn't seen it with Twister and Shelby. Then Twister was diagnosed with lymphoma and kidney failure. Twister was about 40 pounds--half whippet and half black labrador (we think). Joe began lying down next to Twister and would "spoon" her. She fit perfectly between his front and rear legs as he lay on his side and she would lay on her side with her head on his front legs. She seemed to appreciate this. Twister had always preferred to sleep on her own, so this was something I definitely noticed. When it was time, my vet came to my house and Joe and Shelby were there when Twister passed. I think this was the right decision, it seemed that both of them understood that she was gone. Shelby was quite upset that day, but quickly recovered. Joe refused to eat for three days.

Jane

Guest FijiHound

Nothing greyhound related but when my old mutt (she's passed now of old age 16) had her first litter of pups she was unwell which caused all the pups to die shortly after birth :(

Our cat at the time who didn't want anything to do with the dogs slept on top of her for that entire week... I think he helped because then Sherry was back to her old self and the cat went back to ignoring her :blink:

Before my father had to go to a nursing home, he was mostly bed ridden for quite a while. One of his two dogs never left his side. The other one got as far from him as possible (he has Alzheimer's and can no longer speak normally or make much sense at all). I think they felt compassion and devotion, and fear.

If they can feel those things with their people, why not their canine housemates?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck