Sign in to follow this  
Guest summernights

Food To Add Weight And Tempt Appetite

Guest summernights

Gem has Cushing's disease, and is on 30mg of trilostane/Vetoryl once a day. The trilostane controls the Cushing's well, but one of the side effects is inappetence/anorexia. Since she's not eating a whole lot, Gem's been losing weight and is looking really skinny. Right now I feed her Canidae kibble with with raw ground lamb on top (she really likes the lamb), but I'm not stuck hard and fast to that particular brand.

Any suggestions on what I can feed her to tempt her appetite and add weight? She's ambivalent on yogurt and pumpkin, and while I wouldn't say Gem has an extremely sensitive stomach, some canned foods I've tried that she really likes (Evanger's Grain Free Hand Packed, for example) give her horrible, horrible diarrhea. I'm fine with trying raw and with cooking/making/baking things for her, with the caveat that I don't have a lot of freezer space.

I just hate for my sweet girl to not eat and turn into the skeleton dog from Nightmare Before Christmas :(

When Emmy was fightings cushings and wouldn't eat, I tried Nutritional Yeast and it worked really well. You can get it at places like Whole Foods and some health food stores. It tastes like cheese and is full of B vitamines which stimulate the appetite. You just mix some into their food.

You can also purchase it online.

Judy, mom to Do Bee, Bandita, Angel and Gizmo

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey

Guest KennelMom

Good luck. :( We have a Cushings dog and every day feels like a battle. On days she eats, it's like we've won the lottery. I swear she eats just enough to stay alive...We've, literally, tried everything and every kind of food - raw, cooked...even broke down and tried different kibbles as well. Per the lab work, her Cushings is well regulated and her bloodwork is all fine and within normal limits. She's doesn't show symptoms of the disease either..other than not eating. (She's treated with lysodren weekly). Lately what's been working is chicken drumsticks (raw) or chicken thighs (raw)...she used to eat them cut up, but now she wants them whole.

If you find something that works for more than a week, let me know.

eta: Stella started her refusing to eat after surgery to remove a toe and lymph node from her leg due to a cancerous tumor. It's been many months and she's just never bounced back. Part of me wonders if there's something else going on that we just can't detect yet. But after 5 months you'd think we'd see something. Just had her in for a round of blood work and xrays...nothing.

Edited by KennelMom

You've probably already tried, but does your schedule allow for snacks? Sometimes a dog who won't eat much all at once will eat another small meal or two during the day.

Here some of the go-to foods for dogs who don't want to eat or need a little extra are:

- Tripett (canned green tripe; just an egg-sized blob softened in warm water and mixed with the other food)

- Vanilla ice cream (egg-sized blob mixed in or smooshed over top)

- poached chicken livers (egg-sized blob, same as previous two)

- canned jack mackerel (as above; check salt content vs. your meds)

- Spaghettios (high salt content - would need to check if this is OK with your meds); low salt tomato sauce is also a good addition, yum!

- Pepperidge Farm cinnamon bread

- graham crackers

- scrambled eggs, maybe with a spritz of parmesan cheese

- honey or molasses drizzled over the top of most anything

- gently cooked ground beef

Haven't tried myself but I know of folks who've used foods like Kibbles 'N' Bits to help keep weight on a dog. You'd want to check labels for things your dog might be sensitive to.

Hugs and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest june

Don't know how sensitive her stomach is but this has worked for others. here is a post from our website

A small amount of human ensure or boost (but not the chocolate flavor)put over kibble works too.

Here is the recipe for fat balls...it makes quite a few so you can freeze some after forming into meat balls and thaw as needed. But she can have several a day in addition to her regular food...it should put weight on her quickly!

5 lbs of the fattiest ground beef

1 8 oz pkg of cream cheese

1 pint of heavy whipping cream

3 raw eggs

1 box of Total Cereal

a couple tablespoons of Molasses

Make into balls

Guest greyers

I'm so sorry that you are battling this. :(. I have a very picky eater and have had to vary the food continuously over 4 years. I swear she would starve herself if I let her.

Currently I am feeding her several patties of Stella and Chewy's dehydrated raw. There are 5 different flavors and even picky prudence LOVES them and has eaten almost every meals for going on 2 weeks straight. That is a serious record for her, and amazing after the recent loss of her greyhound companion. Since you have been putting raw into her kibble currently I would try a small bag of this and see what she thinks. See if she will eat a piece of two of it dry from your hands almost like a treat. Then if so try re-hydrating a couple patties and putting it in with her kibble. If you can find it a local high end pet food place see if they have samples of it to try before you buy. If you have no place local, try amazon for the best prices. This might help as it has been a godsend for us and I love that I'm adding in food that is "complete", instead of her just picking plain meat out of the kibble.

http://www.stellaandchewys.com/index.php

Other than that, here are some things I have had really good luck with off and on throughout the years:

>Braise lamb and add it to a crockpot with apples and a few spices and cook all day till it falls apart (just the smell might get her going a bit)

>places like trader joes carries smoked trout in a can

>as stated above, canned mackerel as well as canned salmon canned sardines in oil and smoked sardines

>spam

>half and half

>grilled meats right off the BBQ

>cottage cheese

>other crock potted meats and veggies

Good luck to you both!

I looked at the Stella and Chewys because I have a 13 year old who Is really a challenge, so I'm meal by meal alternating what I offer her. I feed three times a day plus her favorite peanut butter biscuits. I was surprised to see that the S&C dehydrated patties had only 70 calories each so it would take a lot of patties to get enough calories for a greyhound size dog. Some of the foods I alternate for Lucy are Fresh Pet Select, Merrick grain free canned like Thanksgiving Dinner, Grammy's Pot Pie, Smothered Comfort, etc. A surprise was finding a kibble to add in for more calories that she loves, Acana, also the grain free. I brought home some little bitty bags that I picked up when last getting her Merrick. So far she loves Wild Prairie and Ranchlands.

Lucy is not the first senior lady greyhound that I have had who kept me on my toes for meals and I have gone the gammitt including home cooking, but I really hope to keep her eating as long as I can with a variety of choices. I am fortunate that Lucy doesn't usually have digestive problems. Another thing I use as dessert for Lucy is Dyne. It is meant for weight gain and she licks it up readily. Dyne has 150 calories per ounce and can be found at feed stores and on line.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest avadogner

When Ava gets too skinny, I switch her usual 2 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt in her daily meal to 3 tablespoons of Greek yogurt. She loves.the vanilla Chobinni and it is high protein and ups her calories by 200. We also buy Brewer's Yeast tjat is fortified with tons of nutrients from our local Health Food Store. It is very expensive ar $30 a can.which lasts 1 month but really makes her coat shiny and adds another 200 calories. We use the Grain Free Salmon TOTW or same formula Blue Buffalo kibble. Her appetite is poor so getting her to eat 2 cups of kibble is a task so add ins help keep weight on her. I hope you find something to perk your baby up!

Hugs to you and Gem. One thing I've found that Segugio will eat consistently is a mixture of rice (cook up 2 c rice to 4 c water) and separately cooked ground turkey or chicken (1 lb.). Mix together in a big pot; sometimes I'll add chopped parsley from the garden and/or some garlic into the meat while it cooks. He gets a cup+ of this mixture with 2-3 T cottage cheese mixed in for his afternoon (pre-dinner) snack. He isn't a Cushing's hound, but is my skinny minny. This "recipe" will last ~5-6 days.

When Emmy was fightings cushings and wouldn't eat, I tried Nutritional Yeast and it worked really well. You can get it at places like Whole Foods and some health food stores. It tastes like cheese and is full of B vitamines which stimulate the appetite. You just mix some into their food.

Judy, how much nutritional yeast per serving? That always confused me. Thanks!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest sirsmom

If you can find frozen Bil Jac it helps with weight gain (there is molasses in it)and appetite too. I used it when someone has had surgery, is generally ill or loses appetite due to aging etc and I can say the dogs I have fed it to loved it. Its soft moist so not much in the way of chewing.

Guest Swifthounds

Raw eggs, tinned sardines in spring water, canned salmon, canned jack mackerel (though its harder to find in water anymore), raw pork, beef liver.

Nutritional yeast, brewers yeast, and liver are good sources of b vitamins.

Guest greyers

I looked at the Stella and Chewys because I have a 13 year old who Is really a challenge, so I'm meal by meal alternating what I offer her. I feed three times a day plus her favorite peanut butter biscuits. I was surprised to see that the S&C dehydrated patties had only 70 calories each so it would take a lot of patties to get enough calories for a greyhound size dog. Some of the foods I alternate for Lucy are Fresh Pet Select, Merrick grain free canned like Thanksgiving Dinner, Grammy's Pot Pie, Smothered Comfort, etc. A surprise was finding a kibble to add in for more calories that she loves, Acana, also the grain free. I brought home some little bitty bags that I picked up when last getting her Merrick. So far she loves Wild Prairie and Ranchlands.

Lucy is not the first senior lady greyhound that I have had who kept me on my toes for meals and I have gone the gammitt including home cooking, but I really hope to keep her eating as long as I can with a variety of choices. I am fortunate that Lucy doesn't usually have digestive problems. Another thing I use as dessert for Lucy is Dyne. It is meant for weight gain and she licks it up readily. Dyne has 150 calories per ounce and can be found at feed stores and on line.

Oh definitely NOT good feeding Stella and Chewy's as a solo food unless you have oodles of expendible income! I have a large boned female (74 pounds) and I would need to feed her 19 patties of dehydrated a day or 3-4 large frozen ones. It would cost about $14 a day! I use only 1-2 patties per meal as a mix in because the flavor is like crack to prudence (and my cats) and it gets her eating all her kibble. She got tired of all her human food mix in options and has been loving a pattie or two mixed into kibble instead.

Yes, just "jump starting" the eating is half the battle.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Hugs to you and Gem. One thing I've found that Segugio will eat consistently is a mixture of rice (cook up 2 c rice to 4 c water) and separately cooked ground turkey or chicken (1 lb.). Mix together in a big pot; sometimes I'll add chopped parsley from the garden and/or some garlic into the meat while it cooks. He gets a cup+ of this mixture with 2-3 T cottage cheese mixed in for his afternoon (pre-dinner) snack. He isn't a Cushing's hound, but is my skinny minny. This "recipe" will last ~5-6 days.

Judy, how much nutritional yeast per serving? That always confused me. Thanks!

I started with a heaping tablespoon with Emmy. She liked it so much I added another one. It really kept her eating until the end.

Judy, mom to Do Bee, Bandita, Angel and Gizmo

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey

Guest summernights

Thanks for all the suggestions! I bought a container of nutritional yeast at one of the crunchier local grocery stores and have started sprinkling that on Gem's food. She seems to like it well enough, and it seems to help her eat a bit more kibble. While at said crunchy grocery store, I bought a few cans of Wellness that were on sale, and Gem really likes those, and they don't cause the horrible diarrhea.

I also made satin/fat balls tonight, which was a bit of an ordeal (I have celiac disease and half the ingredients were made of wheat/were pure wheat/contained gluten, so I wore a mask and gloves while mixing this nasty-looking concoction together to reduce risk of making myself sick :puke ). I gave Gem a large meatball of it and she scarfed down the whole softball-sized thing! :yay Hopefully the satin balls won't cause diarrhea either.

Guest KennelMom

You do NOT need to include bread or gluten containing items in dog treats. Those are just empty carb calories anyway that don't really add anything positive flavor or nutrition-wise. If you feel you need a binder, you can use some almond flour or coconut flour or a non-gluten cereal like puffed rice.

Glad to hear she's eating though!!

Guest BrianRke

I have one suggestion. Its a food that all 3 of my dogs go CRAZY for. Its called Fresh Pets Select. PetSmart and some grocery stores carry it. It would be located in a cooler. I know of a couple dogs that wouldnt eat and when they were offered this, they lapped it up. I dont get the kind in the tube, I (well, my dogs) like the soft chunks. They get it as a treat, not as a regular food because of the cost and its high in calories. It may be worth a try.

Guest summernights

You do NOT need to include bread or gluten containing items in dog treats. Those are just empty carb calories anyway that don't really add anything positive flavor or nutrition-wise. If you feel you need a binder, you can use some almond flour or coconut flour or a non-gluten cereal like puffed rice.

Glad to hear she's eating though!!

Gem needs calories, empty or otherwise, period. The last time I took her to the vet, a few weeks ago, she was down to 42 pounds from 62 pounds. The vet told me to feed her anything (within reason, of course) that she'll eat to get some weight on her. From everything I've read, satin balls are supposed to add weight to underweight dogs. I'm not using them as a treat, but as a short-term food solution that she'll actually eat that will add a few pounds to her while working to find more nutritious long-term solutions to the anorexia/inappetence caused by her medication.

Guest karma98104

My kidney failure dog will eat peanut butter puffins (an all natural cereal) I also roasted a chicken, and baked her a sweet potato. That seems to be going down OK.

I just realized that she'll eat food if she thinks it's a treat, rather than in a bowl. So... I'm pretty much making her sit and shake and giving her dinner one piece at at time. She's a spoiled little dog :)

I also just discovered that she'll eat Natural Balance logs. They are pretty dense and smelly. I'm not sure how long that will last though. I've also heard dogs go crazy for baby food, I haven't tried that yet.

An egg over easy over buttered cheap white bread did it for a bit, I made the yoke runny enough to soak into the bread.

Last night she went to town on a tortilla fried in butter with cinnamon and sugar. It was meant for me, but, well... whatever gets something in her tummy.

Good luck.. I know how hard it is to watch these guys starve themselves! I dream about back in the day when nothing made her happier than some dry kibble in a bowl.

Over the years, we've had several geriatric dogs who just didn't have much appetite. Some of the things that have worked for us:

Fat Balls (a/k/a Satin Balls) -- My recipe is different than the one above but the principle is the same. I use ground turkey (lower in fat, a lot cheaper than ground beef). $1.39 a pound at Aldi's in 1-pound tubes. Our Tribute gets two mushed up in each bowl of kibble plus a third with his pills tucked inside; his bedtime snack is two more balls. So he's getting at least 8 to 10 of them a day.

Dyne -- This is an awesome product. I get mine on Amazon. Puts you in mind of either sweetened condensed milk or a thin cake batter. Strong vanilla smell. 150 calories per ounce. See http://www.amazon.com/Trophy-32-Ounce-Calorie-Animal-Supplement/dp/B00061MRZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319602575&sr=8-1

Ensure -- Haven't seen this mentioned yet. With underweight dogs, I feed half a bottle or half a can of Ensure (get the PLUS variety as it has more fiber and more calories) twice a day. 350 calories total. Vanilla flavor is all I've tried. Our old dogs have really enjoyed this either poured over their food or in a bowl as supplemental feeding. Haven't had any "Big D" issues yet; probably because of the extra fiber in the PLUS variety.

Hope this is helpful.

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.