Gah! I Think I Screwed Up - Need Help With Dosage

Sagan had a dental today. When I went to pick him up, I also took Merlin in for shots and his annual visit, so my head was really jumbled when the vet gave me antibiotics for Sagan. She gave me Clindamycin (150mg capsules) and I can't remember what she told me :headwall The label says "Give 2 capsules every 12 hours after food for the next 5 days."

Easy, right?

Wrong. I gave him one capsule instead of two after his meal 3hours ago... and only just realized that now :( What's confusing is that I think they made some kind of mistake - because if I was indeed supposed to give him 2 capsules, then why was I only given 10 capsules? That's only enough for 2.5 days :blink: so either the dosage is wrong or the amount I was given is wrong.

Sagan is currently 79lbs. Any vet techs here that might be able to help? I can call the vet tomorrow, but they only open after he will have had his breakfast. I don't want to give him the wrong dosage again. I certainly don't want to give him too much but I also don't want him to get an infection because I gavr him too little right off the bat :(

Bummer. I feel stupid :(

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Idol just had surgery and her dose was 1 capsule twice a day. Therefore it is 2 capsules, 12 hours apart. You did it correctly.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My guess is someone miscounted the pills or misread the dosage. I believe 300 mg given twice a day is the correct dosage. (And that would be a minimum dose.) You'll need to contact the vet tomorrow to get the remaining capsules but I would definitely give him two in the morning. Don't feel bad about getting the first dose wrong. Too much was going on at once. Clearly you caught it & would be fine if someone else had not made an error. These things happen, at least they do in my life with great frequency. ;)

Edited by kudzu

According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, the clindamycin dosage for dental infections is 5-11 mg/kg every 12 hours... and 5 mg/kg seems to be the baseline dose, regardless of the reason for prescribing it. Anyway, 5 mg/kg works out to be 180 mg, and the 11 mg/kg would be 395 mg... therefore I think the 300 mg dose is likely to be correct.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I'm so freaking confused!! I vuess I'll gove him two this morning. I hope this is right. He's already had diarrhea this morning and he only had one pill yesterday evening.

Aaaaargh! This kinds of mistakes really annoy me. :angryfire

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Swifthounds

If it was for a dental, they don't always give the common 7 or 10 day protocol, especially if nothing is open and healing. I would just call the vet and ask.

Rascal is on the same meds right now. Her dose is 150 mg, twice daily. She is about 52 pounds. She will be on this for a total of three weeks, since the vet thinks she may have an abscess.

Ruby was on the same thing, 150 mg. 2 times daily, as a pulse antibiotic (one week each month).

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

He's already had diarrhea this morning and he only had one pill yesterday evening.

I agree with what everyone has already posted about the clindamycin dosage. Just a quick comment on the diarrhea. I would guess that it's more likely due to the anesthesia yesterday, rather than the 1 pill of clindamycin he got last night.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg