Shoulder Protruding

Guest GreyLaw

Guest GreyLaw

Hello everyone - I need some help on this one - suggestions welcome. We noticed that Miss Meadow (our soon to be 11 year old brood mama) was favoring her right leg and limping. We made an appt with our vet, and in the meantime noticed her right shoulder blade seemed to be protruding, moreso than one would usually do. It was protruding towards the front of her, if that makes sense - like as if the "head" of the shoulder blade was pointing out of her chest area.

Our vet noticed it at the visit, and did xrays to rule out OS. The xray showed NOTHING unusual, including no signs of dislocation. The muscle seems to be eroding on top of it as well. The vet is stumped, and poor Miss Meadow is still limping around, and taking Tramadol. Has anyone ever had this? What is going on? We are having another veterinarian at the same practice look at it for a 2nd opinion, but are really REALLY scared that there's a tumor that's not being seen on the xrays.

This sounds like something I would consult with OSU on. Hopefully your vet does digital x-rays.

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

Hugs and kisses to both Miss Meadow and you.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest sja5032

Were the xrays just of the area in the shoulder that is protruding? Could it be something around it pushing the shoulder forward? Maybe something in the spine is out of alignment? Its hard to have a good idea with out seeing it. I do second sending the films to OSU if the second vet has no idea.

What you've described (limping on right leg and shoulder blade protruding forward) sounds just like what happened to our girl Cosmo, who unfortunately did have osteo. I second the OSU consult. Good luck.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Were the xrays just of the area in the shoulder that is protruding? Could it be something around it pushing the shoulder forward? Maybe something in the spine is out of alignment? Its hard to have a good idea with out seeing it. I do second sending the films to OSU if the second vet has no idea.

Good thinking. We learned through an MRI that our Shane's protruding pin bone was not a leg problem, as first assumed, but the result of a previous pelvic injury. His great leg muscles had kept everything in reasonably good alignment until we dieted him down a few pounds. The cure for all this was more food, rehab-type exercise, and adequan for the arthritis.

So, yes, thinking more of the whole leg-shoulder system is a good idea. (Oh, and importantly, Shane's prior fracture was on the opposite side from where the hip bone was elevated.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest GreyLaw

What you've described (limping on right leg and shoulder blade protruding forward) sounds just like what happened to our girl Cosmo, who unfortunately did have osteo. I second the OSU consult. Good luck.

Tracey - on Miss Meadow, when I look at it, it looks like its the shoulder blade protruding, but I wonder if that's a lump - the xrays didn't show anything like that. Was yours like that? Was there muscle atrophy on the front of the chest area?

Same as with our girl.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Tracey - on Miss Meadow, when I look at it, it looks like its the shoulder blade protruding, but I wonder if that's a lump - the xrays didn't show anything like that. Was yours like that? Was there muscle atrophy on the front of the chest area?

The xrays didn't show much. One day she started limping and the vet cleared her. The limping continued and we noticed her shoulder looked weird. Another vet did a fine needle aspiration and it turned out the mass was mostly outside the bone, so much so that when they drew a sample, the thing visibly shrank and she didn't limp as much for a few days. With everything sent to OSU they did ultimately confirm osteo.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Guest blastsmom

Oh no.... sending lots and lots of prayers...unfortunately that is how my girl started... the muscle was completely gone, as the tumor was preventing oxygen and blood from getting to it... go with the OSU consult.... best thing to do!

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest GreyLaw

How do I arrange an OSU consult? I live in PA, so Cornell is closer and I think my vet always sends referrals there. I'd rather go with OSU though, based upon everyone's recommendations on this site.

Guest GreyLaw

To everyone that posted - thank you for your prayers, white light and information. We got a 2nd opinion on Friday morning from a different vet at the same hospital (who KNEW how to read xrays). It turned out to be osteo, and had made its way to her lungs. The shoulder joint looked like a piece of tissue paper was holding it together. We were devastated.

Miss Meadow traveled Home to the Bridge on Saturday morning, our vet came out to the house to do it. I miss my precious baby so much, but it was the humane thing to do. I couldn't let her live in pain, she meant the world to me.

Run free among the clouds, Miss Meadow, no more pain for you. Mommy and Daddy will see you again one day, and the meeting will be glorious. Save some of your favorite peanut butter crackers for us, and I can't wait until you wipe your mouth on me again. I love you so much.

:( So sorry to hear it was Osteo. Damn cancer, it robs us of those we love the most.

My Rainy left for the bridge on wednesday, and was there with a wagging tail to greet your Miss Meadow.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I'm so sorry :(:grouphug

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Miss Meadow, I have it on the very best authority that there are pastures at the Bridge full of peanut butter crackers . . . . enjoy while you're waiting for your family.

My condolence to you; when you feel you can, would you post some pictures of her?

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Run with the wind, beloved girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry to read this. I was just checking up on your girl.

Take comfort in knowing Miss Meadow is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so very sorry to hear it did turn out to be osteo. It is such a cruel disease.

I know my little girl Cosmo was there to greet your Meadow -- Cosmo went to the Bridge on October 8th, too, 2 years ago.