Treatment For Hemangiosarcoma?

Late the week before last, we got a call from DH's sister. Her son's dog (GSD mix) had to have emergency abdominal surgery for suspected tumors. She had been bleeding internally.

Looks like hemangiosarcoma (nephew said it's cancer, but still waiting to find out for sure what the vet said). If that's the case, are there any treatments? I can't find much via internet search (still looking, though). Vet's giving Shady 4 months to a year. :o

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

If it's hemangiosarcoma, the prognosis is poor -- usually a matter of weeks if that. The only exception is the cutaneous type, which would not involve internal bleeding; it often responds well to surgical removal alone.

Some info here: http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/frankhauser/index.php

Hoping the pupper in question has a more treatable disease!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ack- sorry. It's a nasty, aggressive cancer that has most likely spread. I'm assuming this pup had a splenectomy??

Even with chemo time will be limited- sorry it sounds so grim. Of course that being said you really need to wait for the path report. I have seen splenic tumors come back benign-- fingers crossed.

My nephew has the path report. But I have not talked to him, only commented on his posts on Facebook. I will call his mom later, I think (he's nearly impossible to get a hold of!)

Yeah, I hope this isn't as bad as hemangio, but I'm not holding my breath. I believe she did have a splenectomy, but did not get the whole story.

Poor girl is such a sweetheart. I adore her! :(

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest KennelMom

My first greyhound was diagnosed with hemangio last October at the age of 13. Treatment option was surgery to remove the tumor. The doc said that even with surgery, you're looking at gaining a few months vs a few weeks w/o surgery. And even then, he said, sometimes when you remove the big tumor it's like someone just "plugs in" the little ones and they start growing like weeds.

We opted for no surgery and to spoil her silly. I even wrote her remembrance post on GT b/c I knew I could not do it once she passed.

Miraculously, she's still here almost a year later....so you never know. All you can do is cherish every day. you're given.

Sorry to read this. As others have said, prognosis is usually poor if it's hemangio. We lost our GSP within weeks due to it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

We lost our greyhound Miles to hemangiosarcoma. It was very fast but for him it was not painful. He started bleeding internally and was peeing blood so we took him to the vet. He was so excited to be riding in the car and visiting the vet. This of course made our decision even more painful. Even though we knew there was no choice it was difficult to say goodbye.

Paws are crossed here that your brothers dog has something else and has a good outlook.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

I lost Hobbes to hemangiosarcoma almost two years ago. From the time we caught it to the time we let him go was just over a month. It's a nasty cancer for sure. We decided not to do any treatments for it as it had already metastasized so there really wasn't a point. If there is one good thing to say about it is that at least it was fairly pain free. It wasn't till the very end that I thought he was actually in pain.

Sending prayers that Shady doesn't have it.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna