Becketts Mine Mine Mine Problem

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

Ok so Beckett is a great dog and has helped me through the recent loss of my husky. But He does have one very major issue. He will nose anything he thinks is food and while I'm trying to eat becomes a real pain. He try's to force his way to the food and will become a bit nippy trying to get to it. I've repeatedly said no in a firm voice. Held his head and repeatedly said no. Tried feeding him at the same time that I eat but none of this has worked. The only way he'll stop is when I get mad and say no. Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this? Oh and on a side note he has horrible breath. He had a dental not too long ago but it reeks any ideas on how to fix this?

Get mad and say NO! Lead him away from where you are to his bed or wherever you want him to be and leave him there. And do this repeatedly. Over and over. Until he understands that your food/plate is NOT his. A dog will only do what you let him do.

If you need more help than that, try a squirt gun/bottle, or an empty pop can with pennies taped inside to back up your instruction. Actually baby gate him out of the room or put him in a crate if you are using one with him.

FWIW, I have one who thinks the world is there for her pleasure at all times. I have to stay on her constantly to remind her that it's not. She would eat everyone's food and treats, sleep on all the dog beds all the time, beat up on the others in the yard, keep all the toys for herself, keep the other dogs from getting any of my attention. She's a dog bully, and I do have to work to keep her in line. When she is understanding her place in the pack, she is the sweetest, most loving girl around - because she doesn't have to worry about being the boss of anything and can just be her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Get mad and say NO! Lead him away from where you are to his bed or wherever you want him to be and leave him there. And do this repeatedly. Over and over. Until he understands that your food/plate is NOT his. A dog will only do what you let him do.

If you need more help than that, try a squirt gun/bottle, or an empty pop can with pennies taped inside to back up your instruction. Actually baby gate him out of the room or put him in a crate if you are using one with him.

FWIW, I have one who thinks the world is there for her pleasure at all times. I have to stay on her constantly to remind her that it's not. She would eat everyone's food and treats, sleep on all the dog beds all the time, beat up on the others in the yard, keep all the toys for herself, keep the other dogs from getting any of my attention. She's a dog bully, and I do have to work to keep her in line. When she is understanding her place in the pack, she is the sweetest, most loving girl around - because she doesn't have to worry about being the boss of anything and can just be her.

These are the things we've done with all of ours. We can sit at the table and eat in peace even with 10 dogs in the house.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Yaw might laugh but this has worked for me.... I figure what would another dog do...well you know what another dog would do! So I'll actually growl and show my teeth and lean forward a little and every single dog I have done that too backs off and leaves me eat in peace. Occassionally I may need to do it one more time as some will try again jsut to be sure but after that they never bother me and like ya'll I can eat in peace no matter the number of dogs. Be advised though that I am willing to back it up-and they can tell it. If you're a wimp don't try it or you may get wooped lol.

Edited by racindog

Nessa went through a phase where she would try to climb all over me when I ate. For about a month I would put her in her crate (upstairs) just before I ate. Eventually, I realized that she knew the routine and would go upstairs on her own at my dinner time. She didn't have to be crated; she just laid on my bed. Now she just hangs out somewhere else while I have dinner.

Guest Wasserbuffel

When we first got Jayne, I would lead her to her pillow and physically lay her down (she didn't understand the down command yet), I kept repeating this until she gave up and stopped approaching the table when we ate.

To address times when we're eating, but not at the table, I taught her "mine". I would sit on the floor or couch and eat something. I would say "mine" when she approached and gently push her away. Eventually she learned that when I said "mine" there was no chance of getting a taste.

Now we can share tidbits with her if we want without encouraging begging. DH often shared his graham crackers with her and when he's doing that, of course, she's glued to him, but the moment we say "mine" she goes off to do her own thing instead of wasting energy begging for what she's not getting.

These are the things we've done with all of ours. We can sit at the table and eat in peace even with 10 dogs in the house.

yup, done it, been there. also try a down stay on the dog bed, your dinner will be interrupted but eventually it works. at the table our dogs stay clear...until someone gets up at the end to clear the table. then they follow into the kitchen and wait for a treat. are you eating at the couch or the table?