Steak's Seizures

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm so sorry--for all of you--Steak, of course, and your family.

I wouldn't do another MRI. It won't change the course of treatment, will it? Sometimes I think our vets forget that we're paying for the tests and if they're only to satisfy their curiosity...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Ugh, Beth, I'm so sorry :grouphug I know how hard this is and it must be so heartbreaking and frustrating to watch him seize. I know how much you love your boy :(

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Forgot to add that this did seem to help Minny but like I said his looked different. But it won't hurt anything to try. I don't even know if it is legit but it seemed to help Minny when I did it.

ICE PACK TO STOP SEIZURES

vine.gif

Recently in a prestigious veterinary journal, an article appears that describes using an ice pack to stop seizures or avoid them altogether. The idea of using ice to stop or avoid a seizure makes a lot of sense. Most of our dogs get so hot during a seizure that putting an ice pack on the small of the back (NOT the neck) could stop or slow down a seizure.

All of us know that helpless feeling when our dog goes into a seizure. Besides protecting our dog from harm during the seizure, and getting post-seizure medications ready, there seems little else we can do but wait for the seizure to end.

This article on using an ice pack to stop seizures is about an exciting new technique that has recently been published in a leading veterinarian journal. This technique may be able to help you shorten or even stop your dog's seizure before it begins, and may even help reduce the amount of post-ictal recovery time, and to return your dog to full functioning more quickly.

The technique was tested--both in an ER and a regular veterinary hospital as well as by people in their own homes--on 51 epileptic dogs. In all 51 cases, the technique either stopped the seizure or shortened the usual duration of the seizure, and in many cases, the post-ictal (after-seizure) recovery time was also shortened. These results were published in an article by H. C. Gurney, DVM, and Janice Gurney, B.S., M.A. The article is entitled, "A Simple, Effective Technique for Arresting Canine Epileptic Seizures." It appeared in The Journal of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association, in the January-March 2004 issue, pages 17-18.

Probably the most exciting part of this discovery is that the technique is not in any way harmful to your dog, and it does not involve giving extra medications. It is as simple as applying a bag of ice to the lower-midsection of your dog's back (the small of the back), and holding the bag firmly in position until the seizure ends. The exact area on the back is between the 10th thoracic (chest) and 4th lumbar (lower back) vertebrae (bones in the spine); what this means is that the top of the ice bag should rest just above the middle of your dog's back, following along the spine, and drape down to the lower-midsection of the back. To see a very good diagram of where the thoracic and lumbar vertebrae meet on a dog's spine, go to:

The ice bag should rest between the middle of the thoracic vertebrae and the middle of the lumbar vertebrae.

With a properly sized ice bag, you should not have to worry about being too exact: aim for the middle of the back, and the correct area will be covered. Application of ice to other areas of the body (head, neck, legs and other areas of the spine) was not found to be effective. Ice bags on the middle of the back was the only area found to work.

The article reports that the sooner the ice is applied, the better the results. So you should have an ice pack ready and prepared: if you have a small dog, fill a small-sized (quart) ziplock freezer bag with cubed or crushed ice and keep it in a particular spot in your freezer. When you hear or see a seizure begin, run for the ice or, if you live with another person, have one person run for the ice while the other runs to help the dog. Place the ice bag in the lower midsection of your dog's back and hold it there firmly until the seizure stops. If this technique works as reported, you should not have to wait as long as your dog's usual seizure, and you may also see an improvement in the post-ictal period's duration.

The article reports that people who tried using a bag of frozen vegetables instead of ice had less success than those who used ice, so keep a bag of ice ready or a commercial ice pack used to keep soft drinks cold in a cooler. The article also indicated that dogs with cluster seizures are a special case and may need their usual protocols after the seizure, so if your dog is a clusterer, follow your veterinarian's instructions for using valium or write to our website for the rectal and oral valium protocol.

We are very excited about this discovery, and would be so pleased if it turns out to be as effective as reported. If you decide to use this technique on your dog, please let us know how it turned out: was it successful, or not. Send them to me at: JCarson6@AOL.COM We would like to be able to add more testimonials from those who have used it, and whether or not they found it effective. If it is effective, it will be a godsend to many of us who now feel we can do nothing for our dogs but comfort them until a seizure ends.

I'm sorry. One of mine has had cluster seizures, but she's been OK for a bit on Levetiracetam (Keppra), which you've already tried. I hope you can find something for Steak. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Beth, I am sorry to hear Steak's seizures are becoming so frequent. :(

I watched your video, and yes, it's upsetting. I know this doesn't mean anything, and doesn't help in any way, but the past four months, since Ruby's neck injury, she would do something similar every evening, while sleeping. Not nearly as severe, obviously, or we would've had the vet check it out...more like a massive attack of that 'sleep running' they do. But when I watched your video, it reminded me of Ruby on a much grander scale. Odd. Remember, Ruby injured her neck and was not breathing for probably 10 minutes after her accident. I often wondered if there were deficits from that (but greyhounds not being terribly smart, could never really tell :lol ); maybe that was a reaction to her lack of oxygen....

That's neither here nor there, just thinking 'out loud'.

I hope you find some answers for your sweet boy.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest cristaron

Hi Beth,

So sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with Steak. It's a tough thing to deal

with.

We too have a seizure boy. Started when he just turned 3. He's now almost 10.

In the beginning, our vet just had him on phenobarbital. He was up to 8 a day (64.8 mg's.).

Still seizing. Got a new vet - she started him on the bromide. He did better but it

took SO long to get the combination of meds. just right.

Even now we still have to keep adjusting them every so often, especially the bromide.

He started out with just one seizure an episode, then it went to two, then three or

four (all within an hour). He does give me warning. He will start sniffing (that's his

'aura'). Runs from room to room sniffing everything wildly. The minute he starts that,

I automatically give him two phenobarbital's. So far it has kept him from clustering. He'll

have maybe 1 or 2 and then starts to settle down. The post-ictal goes on for about 4 hours

afterwards.

After all these years of dealing with this dreaded disease I have figured out that the

biggest thing that affects him is any change in weather. The barometric pressure is what

does it. This and wind. He's scared to death of wind.

I always just dread any weather change at all. I know what's coming.

I hope you can get your boy settled and get the right combo of meds to work.

I know what you're going through and my heart breaks for you and him.

WE are leaving for the vets now. Steak just seized again and it was much, much more violent than the others. :( This is less than an hour since the last one.

I'm in tears and he is tired.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I'm so sorry, Beth...for you and for Steaky-Steak. :(

I don't have any advice, no experience with seizures. Hoping the vet can offer some relief.

Beth, I am so sorry for you and for poor Steak.

I had an italian greyhound who was epileptic and the seizures were terrifying and heartbreaking to watch.

Hope you find an answer.

:grouphug

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

WE are leaving for the vets now. Steak just seized again and it was much, much more violent than the others. :( This is less than an hour since the last one.

I am so sorry. :(

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest jettcricket

Beth, I have no advice and dearly hope you can find a drug combo that will help Steak. Now that I have seen Steak's seizures, I don't know anyone can go through this with their pup.

Ditto...poor guy. How stressful for everyone. Hope you find some answers to help this sweet boy.

I am sorry I have no experience but I wanted to let you know we are praying for Steak and your family.... We also wanted to send hugs!!!! :hope :hope :hope:grouphug :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Sending hugs to you and your sweet boy. :(

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Beth, sending you all the good thoughts I can muster. My heart breaks for you. :hope :hope :hope :hope Give kisses to Steak for me. He must be so worn out.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I am too. :weep For both you and Steak. It was truly heartbreaking to watch that video, I can only imagine what this morning has been like for both of you. Sending all the good thoughts that I can. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh Beth, I'm so very sorry. Hopefully the vet will put him on a valium drip and you guys can come up with a protocol of more than one med. Doesn't seem like Steak does well on just one med at a time. My prayers are with you both.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee