Jacey's At The Er

Small improvements are good. Hope you cooked something to take with you. Have they tempted her with that yucky-to-us-but-oh-so-yummy-to-them prescription food? ID or AD? Have you tried to hand feed her? Suze wouldn't eat for the techs in ICU when she was septic (no platelets, either) due to ARF, but she ate out of my hand. Everyone was amazed! Hope this happens for you, too! Here's hoping for better blood test results today! Still praying - hard!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goofydog

That's a good update Kathy! Keep up the good work Jacey and you'll be home in no time to enjoy all the special goodies mom has bought. Please be a good girl and share with Sam, he has missed you so much.:kiss2

Dear god, she's worse. Her platelets are at 20,000. She won't eat anything. She has ropes and strings of drool from the nausea. I put a piece of chicken in her mouth and it just sat there until I took it out several minutes later.

Her RBC is holding well; it was falling some the first day because of the internal bleeding, but the bleeding is not as bad, bruises are better.

The vet says that 20,000 today compared to 30,000 yesterday is not a statistically significant difference. (Basically, I think once you get below 30,000, it's all bad.) But she obviously feels so much worse (the nausea), even though the bleeding is not as bad.

They're going to syringe-feed her tonight--a lot, as long as she keeps the food down. Maybe she feels so bad because there's nothing on her stomach (although she's still drinking plenty). Maybe, if there's food on her stomach, the nausea will ease.

And we're no closer to knowing what started this. Two tick tests (Rocky Mountain and erlichia) have come back negative. And she's been on such a monster dose of doxycycline that if this had been a TBD, the drugs should have put a real dent in it and made her better.

I'm not sure I'm going over tonight to see her. When I go, they rouse her out of her kennel and take her into a visiting room. She's not wagging her tail or excited to see me, and if she is comfortably sleeping, I don't want her disturbed. Maybe I'll go by and talk to the doctor, but not disturb Jacey.

They're going to run bloodwork at 9 tomorrow morning instead of at noon. And then we have to decide whether she's going to get better or not. When this started, I quietly told her that we'd fight this as long as she wanted to fight it; but if it was too much, she could just let go. Right now, she's not fighting and she's not letting go. I--selfishly, perhaps--wanted her to make the decision for me, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I hate this.

6066971030_54055841b9.jpg

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It Jacey has babesia, the doxy wouldn't make a difference. Was she tested for that, also?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry to hear this about your girl! and sorry that you are having to fight this fight with/for her!

it's probably best for her to stay quiet and rest tonight, conserving all she can to get better,,

I hope she can be strong and find the will to live! I understand and know what it is like to watch obsessively every breath, wondering if it will be the last ~

my prayers have been going for the last 10 day non stop for my boy,, I'll add Jacey to my prayers!!! and for you too.

stay strong, and know you are doing everything for your girl.

:hope :hope :hope :hope

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

It Jacey has babesia, the doxy wouldn't make a difference. Was she tested for that, also?

It's on the list to test for, but we don't have results on that yet.

What would they give her for babesia?

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

For babesia, they would give imizol to *kill* it. Most times, tho, doxy will help and should knock the organism back some -- it just won't eradicate it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For babesia, they would give imizol to *kill* it. Most times, tho, doxy will help and should knock the organism back some -- it just won't eradicate it.

If she gets the Imizol, how quickly would it make a difference? And is it worthwhile to give it in the absence of the test results--especially since there's no indication that doxy has helped her at all after two and a half days?

The vet and I talked about the tick stuff in view of the negative results on Rocky Mountain and erlichia. She did say doxy is slower to make a dent in babesia.

I just hate making the poor girl feel miserable for days while we treat her for something we're not even sure is the problem. I want to give her every chance, but I don't want to make her end stretch over days of misery.

God, I hate this.

Maybe, if the nausea is under control tomorrow, I'll ask about the Imizol even if her platelet numbers aren't better.

A good lab tech would have or rather I'll say could have picked up Babesia on a blood smear on a CBC. FYI, Dr Couto recently claimed that he hasn't seen Babesia in years so , perhaps it's not as common as years past. Personally, I would not treat before having the test results return.

Hopefully, she'll eat for you once she's discharged. Have you tried meat baby food??

Edited by tbhounds

A good lab tech would have or rather I'll say could have picked up Babesia on a blood smear or on a CBC. FYI, Dr Couto recently claimed that he hasn't seen Babesia in years. Personally, I would not treat before having the test results return.

Hopefully, she'll eat for you once she's discharged. Have you tried meat baby food??

Meat baby food, banana baby food (she likes fruit and sweets), warm chicken and potato. The ER is giving her meat baby food by syringe tonight. I put the chicken in her mouth tonight, and it just sat there while she drooled miserably. Since Thursday breakfast (which she threw up), she's eaten about one tablespoon of Gerber chicken baby food. And that was yesterday.

If she gets the Imizol, how quickly would it make a difference? And is it worthwhile to give it in the absence of the test results--especially since there's no indication that doxy has helped her at all after two and a half days?

Imizol is a nasty drug with the potential for some severe reactions. You wouldn't want to treat a dog in Jacey's condition unless you were pretty sure she had the disease and it was causing her problems. You'd want a positive blood smear or PCR on that, not a titer test.

In babesia you typically see a depressed red cell count (anemia) and enlarged spleen. You may or may not see a low platelet count. It can take several weeks for the red cell count to come back after treatment.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am very sorry that she is having such a tough time of it. Will keep her and you tucked gently in my prayers tonight. :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

In babesia you typically see a depressed red cell count (anemia) and enlarged spleen. You may or may not see a low platelet count. It can take several weeks for the red cell count to come back after treatment.[/size][/font]

Not babesia, then. Her RBC is fine, and the ultrasound Friday showed no abnormalities in spleen, kidneys, abdomen, or liver. Damn.

If they can get the nausea under control (they've used Cerenia and are still using Reglan), we'll fight longer, even if the prednisone isn't working as quickly as expected. But it's the nausea that's making her miserable. Silly, stupid nausea. How can you put your dog to sleep because she has an upset stomach?

For the record: She's been getting metronidazole, doxycycline, prednisone (lots of it--2mg per pound?), Reglan, Cerenia, and Pentoxifylline (to ward off vasculitis). And that's just the list I can remember.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

There *are* atypical presentations of all kinds of illnesses, babesia included. I wouldn't expect to see NO red cell depression or spleen enlargement, tho. But, I'm not a vet.

Might ask them if ondansetron is worth a try for the nausea? I *think* it's in a different pharmaceutical class than both cerenia and reglan. It comes in an injectable as well as oral.

Continued hugs and prayers.

The thing about babesia is that it's hard to find typical symptoms. just because her RBC is fine doesn't mean it's not babesia. My bridge angel Phoenix had babesia and nearly normal RBC. Symptoms run the gamut. Most of the tests came out normal, but the little babesia critters were visible in his blood. Don't rule it out. It's a nasty disease.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

If Jacey's platelets are down nearly as low as Friday's numbers, does it make sense that the bleeding isn't worse--and actually is a bit better than on Saturday?

I'll go along with the idea that 20,000 (Sunday) is not statistically significantly different than 30,000 (Saturday)--not when you want 200,000+. And I understand why the nausea is worse on the pharmacist's inventory she's getting every day. But why is the nausea the only thing that seems to be worse?

Is it possible the pred is doing what it's supposed to be doing? That the platelets she's got really are doing their job and producing clots? Her eyes look much better today (less bleeding into her third eyelid), the bruises really are a bit fainter and aren't spreading. Yes, she's miserable with nausea, but she seems nowhere near as bad as Friday--when the vets thought she might not make it through the night--on a platelet count that is nearly the same as Friday's.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that continuing nausea should be a life-or-death situation. Yes, there's a question of quality of life, and this whole thing may create enormous problems for Jacey in the future.

I think I just rode this emotional roller coaster back to the top.

Thanks, Batsmom. I'll ask the night vet about ondansetron.

20,000 is kind of the cutoff, below which you have a *really* hard time controlling bleeding. So it is possible that even that small change has made a positive difference. I imagine the vets were relieved that her platelet count came up some if not all the way. Could be some other blood factors have improved, too.

I am praying that only the nausea is worse because the medicine cabinet she's taking is giving her body a chance to heal. Praying lots.

Guest dobiegrey

I pray that they can get her nausea under control, I know for me, if I am nauseated I feel awful! I would rather have pain than nausea, so praying they get that figured out and relieved.