Jacey's At The Er

E-Vet says her RBC and WBC is fine. Another count--platelets, plasma?--has dropped from 200,000 on Tuesday's bloodwork to 18,000 today. She has blood in her eyes, bleeding from her nose and mouth, bruising everywhere. They're starting her on prednisone.

So--can they stop the bleeding and fix her platelets? And was this triggered by something else ("primary" ITP vs "secondary" ITP)? She was on antibiotics; that could have done it. Or she could have an underlying cancer, so we're trying to schedule an ultrasound. (Vet says her spleen feels okay. One of the benefits of having a skinny dog is that the vet can feel things well.)

But is she bleeding into her brain? Or suffering irreversible damage somewhere?

6058572237_2589fbea54.jpg

That's her on the way to the e-vets this morning. We were stopped at a traffic signal. I snapped the picture to keep from crying...which I'm doing a lot of here at home.

I lost my first girl at the age of 8 years and 4 months. Jacey was 8 in May.

And she appeared perfectly fine yesterday morning.

======================

Sorry, I'm fine at thinking clearly and not panicking when there's something to do: I can apply pressure to wounds, cope with seizures, immobilize broken bones. (And I was smart enough to transfer money from savings to checking before we went to the vet's this morning.) But then I go "brain-stupid": vet talk is in one ear and out the other. Numbers have more digits than I can comprehend. And when I called a manager to say I wasn't coming to work today, he said, "Are you the only one closing tonight?" Do I know everyone's schedule? And do I care, right now?

An article about ITP has this statement:

"Unfortunately, mortality rates of patients with IMT approach 50 percent: death is caused by severe blood loss, especially bleeding into the gastrointestinal tract, or bleeding into the brain..."

I could have gone all day without reading that.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no advice but MANY prayers coming your way!!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Many, many prayers for Jacey. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Live near Toni but can drive where needed.

Please get well fast, Jacey!

Laura

Thank you, Laura. She's at Cobb EVC, which is very close to me. I came home long enough to deal with a few things, and I'll be going back soon. (They won't let me stay with her, but I can visit when they're not doing anything major.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sending lots or prayers and healing thoughts. Hugs to you. I can understand how frightened you must be.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

:hope for Jacey

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Did they check for TBD's before starting your hound on Pred?? The pred should bring the platelet count up pretty quickly but, on high doses it will suppress the immune system making it a bit scary if there is a TBD harboring about.

To the tick experts...

If a dog has erlichia, is there something specific that shows on blood work that could be an indicator? This could be TBD-related, but the lab results would take a few days. Would there be some numbers on her most recent blood work that could indicate the possibility? Apparently her WBC and RBC are just peachy, and doesn't one of those go weird when erlichia is present?

I had enough presence of mind to mention ticks to the e-vet, but she sort of waved it off with "it'll take days to get lab results, and we have to deal with the platelets first"--which is absolutely correct. And lord knows the cephalexin Jacey was taking would have been useless against erlichia. I'm just wondering if I should push for the tick panel anyway.

Thanks.

Tracy, it looks as if you and I were posting at the same time. I'll talk to the e-vet. They may have taken a sample to check for that.

Do the tick panel. Don't wait. Yes, of course you have to deal with the platelet problem while waiting but I wouldn't postpone or skip the tick panel and personally I'd sent it to NC State. You may be able to get hold of someone at NC State to advise you on the more likely suspects, what to request in the line of tests & what clues you can look for while waiting for results.. Hopefully others will give you more & better info than me.

ETA: You've probably already done so but just in case... Make sure they do a Snap 4DX now in addition to sending out for TBD panel.

Edited again to add link for NCSU Vector Borne Disease Diagnostic Laboratory http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/csds/ticklab.html

Edited by kudzu

To the tick experts...

If a dog has erlichia, is there something specific that shows on blood work that could be an indicator? This could be TBD-related, but the lab results would take a few days. Would there be some numbers on her most recent blood work that could indicate the possibility? Apparently her WBC and RBC are just peachy, and doesn't one of those go weird when erlichia is present?

I had enough presence of mind to mention ticks to the e-vet, but she sort of waved it off with "it'll take days to get lab results, and we have to deal with the platelets first"--which is absolutely correct. And lord knows the cephalexin Jacey was taking would have been useless against erlichia. I'm just wondering if I should push for the tick panel anyway.

Thanks.

Tracy, it looks as if you and I were posting at the same time. I'll talk to the e-vet. They may have taken a sample to check for that.

At the very least your vet shound run a Snap 4DX test.

I'm sorry you are going thru this!!!

I hope they can figure out how to help her ~ rightawayquick!

:bighug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Good thoughts for Jacey. I hope you are able to get whatever it is under control and it's treatable.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest goofydog

Just seeing this Kathy and sending prayers and healing thoughts for Jacey. If you need anything please give a shout.

Also, if you need a break I'll be over your way tomorrow dropping off a new bunch of hounds from Pam. I can stay in the area if it would help.

Toni

Guest sandlot13433

Just as some encouragement...back in June my dog Night was diagnosed with IMHA (immune mediated hyper anemia) and was pee'ing blood. His PCV was WAY low and we did a similar thing, started him on a very high dose of prednisone. We did the tick testing, and sent a sample to UNC I think it was to test for some specific tic disease which I cannot recall at this time. Anyhow, all tic testing came back negative. According to the articles I read, IMHA also had a 50% mortality rate. However, Night so far has been one of the lucky ones. Although he lost a TON of weight (went from 80 pounds down to 53 pounds) and developed a rare skin infection, I am pleased to say that he has beat the disease thus far. So, don't give up! There were some very discouraging times, and we still have no idea what caused the IMHA in the first place, but there is hope. We go to the vet every week for testing to make sure his counts are all staying stable but they say pretty soon we will only have to go every other week. I am praying for Jacey! Hope everything continues to go well.

Good good thoughts for Jacey! We have a vet up here in Canton who specializes in greys. We take our girl there. The number is 770-479-0111. They are wonderful, maybe he can talk to you over the phone. I will continue to keep y'all in my thoughts.

Wendy

Image removed, not within the Greytalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 20.27 KB (20,760 bytes) file size.