Is It Okay To Give Flagyl On An Empty Stomach?

Merlin had another flare-up today. There's been no blood in his (liquid) diarrhea so far, but I'm expecting to see some soon. He refused his meal this morning - he usually does at first, when he has a flareup, until I can get a couple of doses of Sucralfate into him and his stomach begins to feel better.

Thing is - he's on 500mg of Metronidazole (Flagyl) per day, which I give him after his evening meal. If he refuses his meal again tonight, can I give him the Flagyl on an empty stomach, or should I skip today's dose? I hesitate to skip a day, but I've never given it on an empty stomach, so I'm not sure if it's going to make matters worse.

The only thing he can eat is I/D, dry or wet. I'll try the dry first, and if he refuses it I'll offer his some wet food, but if he refuses that I'm pretty much out of options.

:(

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Get some DanActive probiotic yogurt drink and see if he'll take that.

That's what we do with sick dogs that aren't eating and need meds.

Our always seem to like the strawberry flavor first.

You can also try Ensure. Just don't get the EnsurePlus kind. It has something in it that is bad for dogs (can't remember just now).

We often offer vanilla Ensure (or the Publix store brand) to sick dogs that aren't eating.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Can you split the pill and give 250 mg. a.m. and p.m.? That'll help. If at all possible, give some food with it. We always wrap ours in a meatball (after putting it into a gel cap), since that's the only way Spencer will take it. (Well, unless we shove it down his throat, which we don't do often.) If you can get vanilla Ensure into him, that'll help too. And if all else fails, try giving it 20 minutes or so after giving a Pepcid or a Zantac.

Spencer's not on Flagyl anymore. When he was, I'd skip a dose if he skipped a meal. Later I seem to recall the head vet tech telling me that it was okay to give it without food. I don't think skipping one pill will spell doom. But that's an advantage of dividing the dose -- he will only miss half his daily allotment if he goes ahead and eats later.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Get some DanActive probiotic yogurt drink and see if he'll take that.

That's what we do with sick dogs that aren't eating and need meds.

Our always seem to like the strawberry flavor first.

You can also try Ensure. Just don't get the EnsurePlus kind. It has something in it that is bad for dogs (can't remember just now).

We often offer vanilla Ensure (or the Publix store brand) to sick dogs that aren't eating.

The only thing is, yogurt may be contraindicated for an IBD dog. The Ensure has internist approval, though. I agree about getting the regular formula rather than the Plus, etc. The other formulas are risky because they're too rich, apart from anything else, for an IBD dog.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Metronidazole can be given without food.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No words of advice...just hoping our Wizard feels better soon!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your suggestions. It's such a relief to know that I can give it to him on an empty stomach. I'd really rather not skip a dose. All I have it 500mg pills, I don't think I can cut it in half.

I can't give Merlin anything other than his prescription food, and in any event dairy gives him diarrhea. But thanks for the advice nonetheless :)

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Just checking in to see how Merlin is doing. Was he able to eat anything? Was the Flagyl okay on an empty stomach?

The Wizard has to feel better!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thank you for asking :) I would have updated sooner but today was my first day back at work after taking two weeks off, so I was snowed under, and then we took him to the vet.

On the advice of the other vet - our vet wasn't in today - we decided to take him in and have blood drawn for more tests that they sent to the lab tonight. I think it's called a Toc panel or something like that - they're going to test his cobalamin and folate levels and check for pancreatic reduction (is that right?) so we can rule some more things out.

I gave Merlin his Flagyl last night even though he didn't eat. To my surprise, he accepted some kibble around 9.30pm. This morning he had liquid diarrhea again and refused breakfast. At lunchtime I tried again - no way. He even refused a (prescription) cookie. He was so very quiet and devoid of energy and it made me very upset to see him like that. :cry1 (Sagan decided that face kisses might make me feel better :blush)

We went to the vet and he had blood drawn. We will know more in a few days. In the meantime the vet also suggested we try a grain-free food - fish and potato. I bought a few cans. I am willing to give anything a try. I just want my wizard to feel better :(

Grain-free works very well for Spencer. Sweet potato seems an excellent substitute for him. Those tests you're running will help a lot, hopefully. Hugs to you both. :bighug

(((Kerry)))

Get well soon, Mr Wizard!!

Nancy & all

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

:(

Really hoping your sweet boy feels better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am sorry Merlin is going through this. I went through this with one of our hounds and know how frustrating it can be.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Sending good energy Merlin's way :( so sorry he's not feeling good again. I hope the fish and sweet potato works.. sweet potato is part of the "potato diet" recipe that my vet uses for IBD and colitis-prone dogs anyway. It's Much easier on the stomach and intestines than rice or even pasta. Will stay tuned for results. (I know you've got enough complicated things to think about, but at some point you might ask one of your vets to look up Slippery Elm Bark powder to see if they'd okay adding a little bit of that to his regular diet. It is a specific for healing stomach and gut issues and being a food product, is not contraindicated with anything. I've had very good luck with it back when I had an IBD pup and I have several, human, friends that swear it cured their colitis and irritable bowel issues.)

Slippery Elm Bark is often used in horses with ulcers.

I have one who is prone to gastric issues and have used it with success.

How's Merlin today?

Hello everyone. Well, the results came back. It's definitely NOT pancreatitis, the GI panel ruled it out. His folate and cobalamine levels are within normal range too. My vet is still sure it's IBD and since Merlin has not eaten any solid food other than a couple of cookies since Saturday night, she suggested upping the Flagyl from 500mg daily to 1000mg daily. She also gave me a different food to try - a high calorie food "recuperation" food - that's given to dogs and cats to get them to eat - A/D. Apparently it's not quite as easily digetible as I/D but it's still gentle on the stomach. We'll see. all I kmow is that my wizard who has not eaten for three whole days DEVOURED it. Let's just hope that he keeps it down and that it doesn't make his bloody, liquid diarrhea even worse (is that possible?)

If increasing the Metronidazole dosage doesn't help to get him through this tough spot and doesn't result in firmer stools, the next step is starting him on prednisone :cry1 I'm VERY apprehensive about that. I always knew it was a possibility that we would have to put him on it, Dr. Katie and I discussed it months ago. But I have heard about the side effects of pred and about how hard it is on the system, and it scares me quite frankly. I am also about to hit one of the busiest times of the year at work and I'm in a new job with a new boss who is understanding but nowhere near as laid back and understanding as my previous boss when it comes to animal companions. She also doesn't know me as well as my previous boss, so I don't think she understands quite how important Merlin is to me. Very nervous about that.

Anyhow, I thought I'd update. Thanks for you continued good thoughts. To those who asked about slippery elm bark - I have to admit that I am not a supporter of homeopathy (in fact I spend a fair amount of time online criticising it, to be honest), and although I have not had time to read up about slippery elm extensively, what I have read appears to show that it has not been subjected to any scientific studies, or shown to produce verifiable results. However, since several people brought it up and cited good results with their pups, I asked my vet about it. She consulted an ex-colleague who told her that she has a very hard time finding slippery elm in the United States. She suggested an alternative - marshmallow root powder :huh I know nothing about it.

Anyone?

Edited by MerlinsMum