Osteo Thread

Are seromas usually warm to the touch, or is that something I should be concerned with?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bruising/seroma felt cooler (but still warmer than normal) when I just touched it now, so I'm not too concerned... unless you guys tell me different. :lol

Dinner in bed!

277507_10150262203219034_578809033_7253773_397480_o.jpg

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Seroma can feel a little warm and even be slightly pinkish if it gets big, but it shouldn't be red/angry looking. Any drainage should be clear (little blood tinge is OK).

Glad your boy is home and hope healing is fast!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He slept all night on the incision side, and it appears that he managed to get some good drainage. Clear - with a little blood tinge. So I think we're ok. The bruising doesn't look too crazy, either.

Which leads me to my next small issue - he seems to prefer to lie down on the incision side. We're trying to direct him to not to but he slides down onto the bed pretty quickly before we can do anything about it. But the problem is getting him up from this position is an ordeal. And I have to flip him so that I can at least hot pack the seroma, not to mention getting him up for bathroom breaks, etc. Thoughts?

Also - he seems more tired today than yesterday. Is this normal? It almost seems like his legs are fatigued from the new "walking" style. I would think this is normal, but figured I'd ask.

Which leads me to my next small issue - he seems to prefer to lie down on the incision side. We're trying to direct him to not to but he slides down onto the bed pretty quickly before we can do anything about it. But the problem is getting him up from this position is an ordeal. And I have to flip him so that I can at least hot pack the seroma, not to mention getting him up for bathroom breaks, etc. Thoughts?

Also - he seems more tired today than yesterday. Is this normal? It almost seems like his legs are fatigued from the new "walking" style. I would think this is normal, but figured I'd ask.

We had the same issue with Lucy lying on the incision. There's not much you can do other than try to direct him to the other side when you see him starting to lie down. Lucy actually ended up with a little spot near the incision that was rubbed raw because she kept lying on it (when they're shaved, their skin is pretty delicate) so we pretty much just obsessively watched her and whenever she went to lie down, we'd help her lie onto her good side. We also sometimes had to do the flip maneuver to hot pack/ice. I don't see her lying on her stump side much anymore, so I think at first it's just hard for them to lie onto the good side because they're still learning HOW to lie down minus a leg.

The muscle fatigue is normal; Lucy also went through this. It will get easier - it takes a while for them to build up new muscles in the remaining front or rear leg, but they do. He's also tired from the meds, I'm sure, which will slow him down. He'll have good days and bad days for a while as he adjusts.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

It's pretty normal for dogs to want to lie on their wounds, keeps it protected from other animals. I know that's doesn't help with the issues you're having, but it helped me to understand at least why Neyla would choose to lay on that side despite it being uncomfortable.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm not surprised he's tired. He didn't rest well at the vets, plus he's just had major surgery. I pretty much let Dude dictate how much or how little activity he wanted to have for the first several weeks (we also dealt with a pretty bad secondary infection). As long as he went out to potty, I left him on his bed most of the time. He even got fed there if he didn't feel like coming out to the kitchen.

Dude also layed on his stump. Interestingly, now he spends most of his sleeping time on his back. He wasn't a big roacher before - he did it, but only occassionally. I'm not sure why it would be more comfortable/preferable to roach with three legs rather than four????

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest azlorenz

Jane I am so sorry for your loss. I will always remember all the help you gave me and James while he was at OSU. Your dogs are so lucky to have you!

James is starting to go downhill. He started that dreaded cough yesterday, very sporadically. In fact, I really thought it was just something stuck in his throat. Then today he coughed up a quarter sized dark colored clump of tissue surrounded by blood. I can only imagine it is part of the tumor is his lung. He is not in any distress, resting comfortably, and eating well. We just got back from a nice walk and he tolerated it fine. I will put a call in to our vet in the morning. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi Julia, our Flash went down this same road. When he had his 4-month post amp x-rays he had lung mets. I had the oncologist send his xrays to our regular vet (my dearest friend) immediately so she could tell me with all honesty what to expect. She warned me about the cough and that I'd know it when I heard it. And boy was that the truth. Please, please, if you want to talk, or just have an understanding shoulder, please email me (shannonlorenz@cox.net). I know what you are going through. Hugs to you and James.

Shannon

I'm not surprised he's tired. He didn't rest well at the vets, plus he's just had major surgery. I pretty much let Dude dictate how much or how little activity he wanted to have for the first several weeks (we also dealt with a pretty bad secondary infection). As long as he went out to potty, I left him on his bed most of the time. He even got fed there if he didn't feel like coming out to the kitchen.

Dude also layed on his stump. Interestingly, now he spends most of his sleeping time on his back. He wasn't a big roacher before - he did it, but only occassionally. I'm not sure why it would be more comfortable/preferable to roach with three legs rather than four????

I didn't mean activity level - more muscle fatigue. I only get him up to go to the bathroom, otherwise he's been snoozing! But I noticed that the first day he was hopping along pretty good and today he was more slow and "stiff", I guess.

Berkeley has tried to roach a few times when he's lying on his incision side. He pulls the one front leg arm up in the air and appears to get frustrated when he can't flip himself over to his back. It's kinda sad to see. :( But I'm sure he'll get it.

It's pretty normal for dogs to want to lie on their wounds, keeps it protected from other animals. I know that's doesn't help with the issues you're having, but it helped me to understand at least why Neyla would choose to lay on that side despite it being uncomfortable.

Huh. I didn't know that!

Guest azlorenz

I didn't mean activity level - more muscle fatigue. I only get him up to go to the bathroom, otherwise he's been snoozing! But I noticed that the first day he was hopping along pretty good and today he was more slow and "stiff", I guess.

Berkeley has tried to roach a few times when he's lying on his incision side. He pulls the one front leg arm up in the air and appears to get frustrated when he can't flip himself over to his back. It's kinda sad to see. :( But I'm sure he'll get it.

He is using muscles he hasn't used before or as much. As the days pass he will build up his strength and get everything figured out. Flash went on walks faster as a tripod. He once got a sticker in his remaining hind leg and I swear balanced himself on his front legs until I could get it out. The way they can compensate is amazing. Sending healing thoughts and hugs to you and Berkeley.

Jane I am so sorry for your loss. I will always remember all the help you gave me and James while he was at OSU. Your dogs are so lucky to have you!

James is starting to go downhill. He started that dreaded cough yesterday, very sporadically. In fact, I really thought it was just something stuck in his throat. Then today he coughed up a quarter sized dark colored clump of tissue surrounded by blood. I can only imagine it is part of the tumor is his lung. He is not in any distress, resting comfortably, and eating well. We just got back from a nice walk and he tolerated it fine. I will put a call in to our vet in the morning. Anyone have any thoughts?

I can't offer any advice, just wanted to check in for an update and say that I'm sending good thoughts to you and James. :grouphug

How's Berkeley this morning?

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Berk's doing really well. Seems to be moving better than yesterday... video from this morning's potty break:

I am trying to keep on top of the corn on his back foot - hulling and dremeling keeps it controlled pretty well - and this morning I found another corn on his OTHER back foot. WTH? Where did that come from?? UGH.

Once Dima had healed completely and she was feeling back to normal, she hardly ever slept on her bad side. She seems to have wanted to sleep on it once in a while just to get a break from using the same side, but she never really quite got the "getting up" from that side down pat. I don't remember if she roached after surgery. In fact I don't quite remember if she roached much before.

But Berk does seem to very status quo. The big change will be seen at around the 2 week mark.

He looks good.

Guest juliagulia630

I fear we are close to the end. Took James to his favorite place last night after it cooled down, he swam a little but layed down right after. It was really peaceful. We sat there for over an hour just side by side.

Today his wrists look swollen despite steroids, his appetite has slowed down, and he is sleeping more. I have not heard any further coughing and he is breathing easy.

My vet is on vacation this week and I don't love his back up. Not sure I am going to have a choice if things continue to progress. Please keep James in your thoughts this week.

I fear we are close to the end. Took James to his favorite place last night after it cooled down, he swam a little but layed down right after. It was really peaceful. We sat there for over an hour just side by side.

Today his wrists look swollen despite steroids, his appetite has slowed down, and he is sleeping more. I have not heard any further coughing and he is breathing easy.

My vet is on vacation this week and I don't love his back up. Not sure I am going to have a choice if things continue to progress. Please keep James in your thoughts this week.

I'm so sorry. Give James an ear scritch from me. :grouphug

Edited by BauersMom

{{{{{{{{{{James}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:kiss2 for James, :grouphug for you.

All of us will be thinking good thoughts for James. My heart is breaking for you. Hang in there, give him a lot of hugs from me please.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry Julia. You and James will be in my thoughts. I wish there was more I could do. :grouphug

Berk's doing really well. Seems to be moving better than yesterday... video from this morning's potty break:

I am trying to keep on top of the corn on his back foot - hulling and dremeling keeps it controlled pretty well - and this morning I found another corn on his OTHER back foot. WTH? Where did that come from?? UGH.

He looks great for just a few days post-op. :) The fatigue will get much better.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

I am so sorry Julia. I will be thinking of you both.

Joe never had corns before his amputation. Now he has them on all 3 paws. Maybe the increased pressure on the remaining paws?

Hmmm. Joe never roached before amputation. His first roach was about 2 months after amputation. He doesn't do it often. He does do this kind of "half roach" with the front half of his body (rear legs on the floor to one side) fairly often, but never before the amputation.

I looked over to the pen yesterday and he was roaching. :blink: He did it twice, actually!

He has diarrhea - it started when we started the amicar two days before the surgery and I'm sure adding all the other meds hasn't helped. I told the vet about the diarrhea with the amicar but she still wanted him on it. I'm not sure what to do - he's already on a bland diet and I don't want to fast him and have to give him the meds on an empty stomach.