“Minny” Rj’S Minnow 7/11/2002 – 7/14/2011

racindog

Min2008A2.jpg

Minny means "can do", "never quit", a single mindedness to love and protect and shepherd his pack to his best ability---in fact his great love enabled him to do it beyond his natural ability. Minny means faithfulness beyond measure and a soul so empathetic and compassionate and understanding that I truly have never seen the likes of it before.

"But now ask the animals, and they will teach you." Job 12:7 Minny knew things I didn't, things I needed to know, and he loved me so much he taught me lessons I needed to learn.

I first met Minny at the vet's office. He was there being treated for a nasty bite wound that ultimately required additional surgery to repair from being in a fight with his former fosters dog. I took his muzzle off too soon when I brought him home and within hours of his arrival he attacked unprovoked my oldest pack member, 9 yoa Goldie, which required an er visit and stitches for Goldie. At the time my pack was headed by my soul mate Slim. Nobody but nobody-including me- trifled with Slim. Slim wasn't present when the Goldie incident occurred. Slim made it clear to Minny that he was in command. Minny challenged of course and even though they were muzzled Slim established his dominance and Minny never seriously challenged him again. Slim loved to fight- any resistance just fueled his fire-no pain no nothing could make him quit. He was a ruthless warrior. But he NEVER but NEVER went there without a valid reason. On the other hand Minny was honestly kind of thug like and it was not uncommon for him to attack other pack members (including me) unprovoked-he even had blood running down my face one day. In fact it appears that is what derailed his racing career- one too many "interfered". So Minny had to be muzzled all the time while we figured things out. IMO it was related to a couple of different factors including: 'roid rage' (it was many weeks before the excessive urination/drinking subsided) and a corn laden (read cheap) previous diet. (At least one study has shown that corn in some dogs can interfere with the production of serotonin in their brain which influences bite inhibition etc.) It was obvious from the first that he was quite possibly the most intelligent dog I had ever been associated with. His IQ was uncanny. It was important to give him challenges to keep his mind occupied and he would learn things unbelievably fast- and it taught him discipline and obedience at the same time. So with the elimination of corn from his diet, with Slim keeping him in line and with positive training and the love that envelops our home he improved greatly. Well as time went on the unprovoked aggression episodes subsided for the most part. He improved so much his only restriction was that he just "didn't play well with others" and so had to be closely supervised around other dogs. He was adopted out and that appeared to be the end of the story. I told him, like I tell all my fosters, that if they ever need a place to go that I would always welcome them back.

Min2008B22.jpg

A couple of months later Minny was back. I know now in hind sight that he came back for a reason…….."and they will teach you." Suddenly the head of our house, our benevolent and beloved leader Slim, had succumbed to bloat/GDV/DIC. I had endured losses before including a husband, but none as devastating as that of my soul mate Slim. Frankly I was completely and utterly devastated-really don't want to go there describing it. Enter Minny. He loved and kissed and listened and allowed my tears to soak his coat and UNDERSTOOD- he UNDERSTOOD, in fact he was the only one on this earth who did understand actually what Slim had meant to me and what I was going through. He enveloped me in a level of love and compassion that I didn't know existed. One day I was removing one of Slim's tags from his collar to wear around my neck just to have some of his energy with me and Minny seen me, knew what I was doing, and came up to me and stood there sticking his neck out and wanted me to put Slim's tag on him too. He wanted to try and assume Slim's role and take care of me and the pack. This is the God's honest truth. It is fact. Now Slim was a sentry dog in a greyhound suit- leading, guarding, and protecting even with force came natural to Slim. But Minny was never a leader or guardian or anything remotely like that- being more greyhound like. However I had to put Slims tag on him after that, I trusted him, he asked me……Minny knew he was now the man of the house and he wanted to do what he could to fulfill the enormous void there that Slim had left. "But now ask the animals, and they will teach you."

Minny taught himself to be a leader. He became very vigilant and became a most excellent watchdog. So good in fact he used those secret canine watchdog abilities that could let them know there was even a deer moving around our area 25 yards from where we were sleeping at two 'o clock in the morning- and he would alert me that something was moving out there in dark. And so it all became clear now. He knew that I needed him and he did what he had to do to get "returned" so he could come back to me and be there for me in my time of greatest need. Even though he did not at that time possess the attributes of a guardian or leader he felt our need and stepped up to the plate with his can do attitude and wanted to try. So I put Slims tag on him, and like I said, he taught himself to be our new and quite capable leader. No one ever would have dreamed he had it in him knowing him in his earlier days.

For the next 5 years our family, our pack, was blessed by the steadying wisdom and guardianship of our new pack leader Minny. He was up to all the challenges, including living in a home with as many as six female houndies and me. Now you know that had to be tough! His favorite things were kissing, cuddling and knitting each other, playing with his ball (which he easily carried even when muzzled) and catching it in the air and of course treats-cookies, mooshies, loved tripe and raw meat.

He learned so many things. He could open/close doors on command and it seemed like he could learn anything in minutes. He could and would follow commands that called for multiple different actions. He was so smart he would remember and sequentially carry out multiple commands. It was incredible how he could figure things out-like how to turn on a faucet full blast that was hard to turn just because it struck him to do one day that he wanted a drink. He liked and enjoyed people, was a gracious wonderful host and the few times he was around children he seemed to adore them and was exceedingly tolerant.

From his famous dad Gable Dodge he also inherited those Dutch eyes, and was a big stout and solidly built ~90# and ~31" tall with a tail that for some reason had a part of it missing. But most of all he was my bud. He is the one that always went with me. We went everywhere together. We went and got loads of hay together, we kept each other company for many hours in the field when I was building our fence... he was my buddy. He won the "Tallest Hound of the Festival" contest every year since the Festival of the Bluegrass began. At last year's festival he and I also won the "Love Bead Race" and of course the "Kissing Contest." We had A LOT of practice kissing. He loved his kisses and felt they were important to me too and even in his sickest most terrible hours wanted, gave and received many very special kisses- including when his spirit crossed over. He was always there for me and the rest of our pack.

He never had ANY health issues. On July 3 he was suddenly stricken with a grand mal seizure lasting over an hour. He endured a 2nd one later that same night at the e-vet. On July 5 tests were done essentially to confirm an obvious (based on neurological signs etc.) diagnosis of brain cancer. I was not allowed to visit that day. On July 6 we had a wonderful visit and I messaged him (all his joints etc. were fine) and brought him special treats etc. and he cried for a long time after I left –a fact the evet strongly disliked as it "bothered the technicians" etc. On Thursday July 7 AM the evet advised me that his left hip was suddenly and mysteriously severely injured and he and given him medication for it and it should be x-rayed! I was also informed my visits would be cut short from now on in the hopes that it might stop him from being so disruptive after I left.

I always ask for God's guidance in situations like this when I just don't know what I should do and on the way to the hospital I made the decision I was taking him home with me. I could not leave him there scrunched up in a too small cage with people mad at him for crying (and remember he has every right to cry-he was critically ill) and that had hurt him quite simply because they didn't want to be bothered lifting him up since he was heavy. In fact when I went in for my Wed visit they grabbed his now wounded hind legs/hips and started to "pull and swing" again when I stopped them. To add insult to injury they refused to put a sign on his cage warning that his hip was injured and not to be pulling him by his hind legs. So there is no question that he would have had to endure repeated terrible pain on a regular basis when these kind people turned him over every 4 hours etc. But then the evet did tell me, and I quote directly "It's not about compassion." So I was removing him from what for him would have surely been a nightmarish existence until the test results came back. Since he couldn't stand up he was wheeled to my vehicle and when they brought him out and our eyes met I knew we had come full circle. He was there for me in my darkest hours when I needed somebody and now I was there for him in his moment of greatest need as well.

Inexplicably the test results were greatly delayed and we had 7 wonderful days together while I cared for him 24/7 at home. I lavished him day after day with special goodies and he did the same to me with special kisses and neither of us was bothered by the inconveniences of having to get fluids/meds etc. I read Scripture to him and we both were comforted. He kept trying- that can do attitude of his. He shook off the terrible pain from his injured hip with the help of Tramadol and progressed a little each day until he could actually stand up sometimes on his own! Unfortunately the negatives progressed too and each time it seemed it was a little more severe and all the original paralysis and neuro things remained with no improvement. And of course the doctors say brain cancer is progressive-it gets worse and worse.

Minny being the intelligent wise fellow he was understood what all was going on. Despite the grievous bodily damage his mind was as sharp as ever and had suffered no ill effects throughout this. I promised him that I would see to it that either his earth suit would be repaired or I would see that he was freed from it so he could get a new healthy body in the spirit world-that we were just waiting for test results to make sure that his current body couldn't be fixed. Still each day was harder for him being immobile like that. Last night it was time- that mysterious moment when it seems the entire universe is in agreement. He left his broken earth suit prison and was freed to enjoy his new healthy spirit body while in my arms being kissed in front of his TV in his living room.

To me my journey with Minny is an odyssey of sorts that will always continue. We were there for each other in our greatest times of need. He taught me things so wise I honestly can't put it into words. His nobility is beyond compare. My "Min-Man", my "get out of the way Minny", my best bud…my forever love. :weep:angelwings

MinnybestJPG2-1.jpg

:gh_child Cancer is so limited

It cannot cripple love

It cannot shatter hope

It cannot corrode faith

It cannot destroy peace

It cannot kill friendship

It cannot suppress memories

It cannot silence courage

It cannot invade the soul

It cannot steal eternal life

It cannot conquer the spirit.

-Anonymous

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry. I followed Minny's journey in H&M and so hoped and prayed he'd recover. Godspeed Minny, you were loved so very much.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My heart hurts for all that you have had to endure these last few weeks. I am so sorry for your loss of Minny.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I am so very sorry for your loss of Minny.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us everyday of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My heart is breaking for you. I am so very sorry for your loss of such a dear friend. :grouphug

Godspeed Minny, dear sweet boy. :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

A truly extraordinary hound. I grieve with you at his loss.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful hound. I am so sorry for your loss -- I followed some of the saga and was too hoping Minny would recover. I'm glad you had special time with him and his passing was peaceful.

:f_white

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Minny, but I'm so glad for the both of you that you had the time together at the end. I'll be thinking of you.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

I'm so very sorry. Every single day I checked his thread in Health and Medical hoping for a positive update. My heart broke every day that there weren't any after he went home. I'm so grateful the two of you had some quality, loving time together. Run free, Minny.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your handsome Minny. What a heartbreaking last several weeks you've had to endure.

Sending lots of thoughts and prayers.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Thank you for sharing the amazing Minny and your loving relationship with us. I feel blessed to know of it. And I'm so very sorry for all you've been through. :grouphug

:f_white:gh_run:f_white

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

The love for your Minny is so clearly felt in your writing... I am so sorry. Safe journey, Minny, you wonderful boy.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle