“Cash” Jnb Out Lawcash 4-8-1999 / 7-11-2011

racindog

partycash1.jpg

When I think of Cash the first thing I think of is courage. I adopted her when she was 6. She was a bleeder and had nearly died when spayed; had broke off teeth; cervical vertebra smashed together; and a broken hock healed crookedly which made her foot touch the ground at a terrible angle. One of her vets told me I did not realize the pain she endured every day. Yet she never-no matter how terrible the pain- and she had some really painful spells- let it affect her love or giving happy nature. I don't know how she did it, but despite it all she was happy and loving and never testy or sad because of it. Never once, no matter how excruciating the pain, did she ever utter the slightest wine or wimper. Sometimes she had to scream in pain but she never ever wined or wimpered. What a brave courageous little girl. It's like she had decided that she just was not going to let it take anything away from her. I watched her time and again use and step on that knarly broken hock leg and endure the pain rather than hop. But because she did both sides of her hind leg muscles were equally developed. The vet remarked about that too. There was no muscle wasting whatever on the bad side. She was not going to let it take anything away from her . She was a beautiful black houndie and she aimed to stay that way.

When she first arrived she ran fast and apparently effortlessly- but of course it wasn't effortless. It was that courage of hers that allowed her to be herself and find joy in the run. In fact that's how the house of cards came down. She had fared remarkably well despite her injuries and had recently celebrated her 12th birthday. She loved to run. She won her maiden race. It was her practice that when I'd turn her out she'd run to the far end of the yard to take care of business. Everytime. Nothing could stop her. On April 30th she zoomed off like always but then there was that terrible greyhound scream of death. Her hind end was suddenly paralyzed. Now the sacral portion of her back was also injured. She bravely pulled herself together again and walked again but there was now even more pain despite the medications and acupuncture. July 5 her hind end quit working again but after treatment she once again willed herself together within 48 hours and although she required assistance appeared on the way to recovery. On July 8th she once again became paralyzed from the sacral region on back. I was deeply concerned this time because before you could hardly touch her without bringing her pain yet now even being carried didn't disturb her. Also before she had the old dog shakes in her legs etc. but now there was none. She courageously fought back as always-still her sweet happy self, even bright eyed- but something went horribly wrong early on the morning of the 11th. I was awakened by 5 consecutive greyhound screams of death-the mournful pitiful variety. When I ran to her side she was in terrible distress and even had a fever of 105.7! Minutes later she left that poor broken body behind for a new healthy PAINFREE one. The vet said it may have been a stroke.

About 3 hours after she left she came back to me through Bobber to tell me that all was well and right and she was fine and we still had each other's heart. One of my favorite pictures is of her hugging and kissing me. Before her pain and infirmity made her stop she would come up to me on the sofa or wherever and put one leg on each side of my neck and lean into me and hug me all the while lavishing me with kisses. In fact sometimes hugs and kisses were not enough and she'd open her mouth and gently put it around your whole chin! Bobber lovingly allowed Cash's spirit to do it again to assure me that all was indeed well-she was her old happy self-able to hug once again. It was unmistakable. There is simply no question about it. What a girl she is! She may not have an earth body anymore with earth bling but she's got her spiritual bling for sure! cashkiss22.jpg

Cash is the first dog I ever had that immediately made it clear that any "obedience" work was completely out of the question. Cash made it obvious, right from the beginning, that she didn't sit, or lie down or stay etc. she had BLING!!! She was totally about bouncing around socializing, spreading cheer and happiness. She was very lady like and sophisticated and loved girly frilly things and toenail polish-the whole deal. She never got involved in pack competitiveness except in play. She was simply too lady like to push or snarl or anything like that.

Everybody knew Cash because she made herself known by so gloriously enjoying the company of everyone she met. And also because she had a reputation for stylin' and socializing! Despite her pain and infirmities she was always happy and outgoing. She taught me to get out and have fun and share with other people and dogs. One of her favorite things was the Ice Crème Social at the Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass which she never missed. She got to see some of her best friends then and just couldn't get too much. She was in her element at such affairs. Her true affection for all was obvious and I think that is why she is remembered so and has so many friends. One of her best friends was C.M. who fostered her- until she went after the cat! She simply adored C and was especially overjoyed to visit with her. She also beamed when she saw J.V. who fostered her after the cat incident and introduced us to each other. I asked Cash if there was anything she wanted to say and tell people and this is what she said: "Bling, Bling! Love, Love!" Anybody that knows her knows those 4 words are her essence. BLING! BLING! LOVE! LOVE! always and forever my sweet lady. :weep:angelwings:gh_run2

prettycash2.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Cash. What a spirit she had and a very brave soul. She fought hard to stay and her spirit was willing.

Run free Cash, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. Godspeed Cash!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I'm so sorry for the loss of your special girl.

Godspeed, Cash.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss. What an amazing girl your Cash was & soooo beautiful, right down to her nails. smile.gif I'm sure she's lighting things up at the bridge. Godspeed Cash! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm so sorry, it's such a beautiful tribute to your sweet Cash. How sad, and I'm so sorry for all of the pain you're going through right now with your pups.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Thank you for telling us about your extraordinary girl.

Godspeed Cash.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:grouphug Beautiful Tribute, You can just hear in your words of the tribute she was a very "SPECIAL" girl!!!!! I am very Sorry!!!!! :grouphug

:f_red:gh_run Run Free Cash!! :f_red

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter