Casey Hurt Herself

Last night, I picked up the girls from my friend who watches them for me. It was about 930 when we were leaving, cause we had to visit while I was there - hadn't seen each other in awhile.

Casey is safe off-lead, so I let her just take herself over to the car, while we walked behind. She was so excited to be going home that she ran to the car, ran circles around it, and then started running back to us.

Started, yeah.

She wiped out on the driveway, but got up with no problem and waited beside the car for me to get there and open the door. I opened one of the side doors instead of the hatch for her to get in, cause that was closer.

Uneventful ride home - she and Zoe make great car companions.

We got home, I opened the hatch and she jumped out with no problem, trotting to the back yard gate and waiting for me to open it.

In the light from the car, I saw what looked like blood spots on the rug that covers the floor of the car, but when I got Casey inside and checked her over, I didn't see anything bleeding, and no open wounds/abrasions.

At bedtime, I thought she was walking a little funny heading down the hall, but when I called her back and had her walk again so I could watch, she looked normal.

This morning, we went outside, and she's holding one foot off the ground. Didn't pee, and I'm putting thoughts in her head and saying it's because she didn't trust her back legs to hold her, or because she was afraid it would hurt to squat.

Gave her a rimadyl, and just called Doc to let them know I'll be bringing her in today. We're also hitting the chiropractor - plan to be there as soon as they open.

I'm worried about my girl - she's so stoic, so for her to be keeping one foot off the ground means something's going on. :(

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Sending positive thoughts for Casey. I know what you mean about our hounds being so stoic.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Hope it is just a cracked toenail or similar!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hope it is just a cracked toenail or similar!

I'm thinking soft tissue, Jey... not seeing any toenail issues. No idea where the blood spots on the car rug came from, but Doc will find it.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

11am vet appt, so hopefully I can be in/out of the chiro by then.

Guest Swifthounds

Poor Casey. Wiping out like that is painful and the speed at which you go from on your feet to splat is pretty unsettling.

When you looked her over, did you check her gums? A surprise fall can lead to teeth and gums meeting and boy can you get a good amount o blood spotting (or what looks like it when it mixes with saliva) from an injury you can't even see a few hours later. At this point, I've had it happen so much, I usually heck there first.

Casey my love! I hope she is OK! I've always felt close to her since she came from the same thread that introduced Loca. Can you post some pictures?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Chiropractor found lots to adjust, and she was walking better when we left chiro than when we entered.

Doc checked her over thoroughly and found nothing to worry about. Said she's deeply bruised on the side that hit the ground, so we're doing rimadyl for a few days. Doc says she'll be back to normal in about 5 days.

She sat for me at the vet's office while we were waiting to be seen, and also sphinxed, which she hadn't done earlier today (it's her favorite way to lie down, so when she wasn't sphinxing, it was another indicator).

Oh, and when we were trimming her nails at the vet, we found a small boo-boo on her front toe, that might have happened when she fell. That could easily be where the blood drops came from.

Robin, here are my 2 fave pics of her:

When she first discovered beds:

63352694.jpg

Showing off the bling her auntie Janet gave her:

75321702.jpg

Edited by Pippin

For future reference, a wet towel (or paper towel) makes a great boo-boo detector, especially on a dog where the fur color hides everything. Just wipe slowly. You can go down each leg, wipe the foot, feel around the toes and between the pads, etc. Even if the bleeding has stopped, there's usually enough blood left in the fur that will show up on the towel to give you an idea where to look. With the towel, you can wipe around the teeth and gums, the ears, the tail, the tuck up--everywhere. It's also a great way to check for secondary injuries--where you know the main problem, and just need to check to see if something else is "leaking." Works well on hairy dogs, too.

Learned this one the hard way...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Casey is just as beautiful as I remember! Thanks, Mary, and I'm so glad that she's OK :yay

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Phew!

She is so lovely, Mary.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 4dogscrazy

The wet paper towel is a great tip, thanks so much! I like to put neosporin on all cuts, at least once, and its very hard to find the little cuts on the black dogs! :)

So glad casey is okay, the wipeouts fill me with dread. It's like someone dumped a bucket of cold water over my head.

Edited by 4dogscrazy

Guest manawatugal

Glad you have found the cause and she is a box of birds again. I have a black dog too and on Tuesday took him for a walk along the streets and when we got home I noticed blood on the rug, poor boy had cut one of his pads quite deeply. We washed his foot and pressed the pad and he didn't react at all therefore presumed there was nothing in it. He was limping a bit the next day so took him to my father in law who is retired vet and he couldn't see or feel anything either and again pressed the pad quite firmly with no reaction from Stanley. Anyhow on the Friday hubby decided to investigate with a bright light strapped to his head and the tweezers and we discovered a fairly large piece of glass stuck in the wound. Well I felt terrible but the boy was very brave and whilst hubby was working excavating glass from his pad I was feeding him cheese (occasional treat as he's raw fed meat/bones/organs) to distract him which worked a treat. Anyhow wound is healing well with colloidal silver and active manuka honey and we'll keep our eye on it.

Hey but wouldn't it be just great if they could talk sometimes and let you know how they are feeling and where it hurts?!

Guest Shermanator

Hey but wouldn't it be just great if they could talk sometimes and let you know how they are feeling and where it hurts?!

I hear you! My bridge boy, Patton was a screamer. Bump into him = scream, he'd bump into something = scream. Sceam, scream, scream. But, when he was really hurt- he was my stoic, quiet boy. :)

How is Miss Casey this morning? :wub:

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

How is Miss Casey this morning? :wub:

A little stiff yet, but mostly fine. :)

I'm glad Casey is feeling better this morning!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.