I'm Having A Really, Really Bad Week

Guest kdbeaar

Guest kdbeaar

On Tuesday, I had to put down my first grey, Trooper, who we adopted in 2006. It was so hard to know when to say, this is the time.

He was still eating and his personality was intact...but he couldn't use his back leg anymore. I'd had him to the vet three months ago because his rear end kept collapsing. She couldn't find any sign of cancer, and it could have been several different things, but she said even xrays may not find the reason. So we put him on various pain meds and he seemed comfortable enough, at times even seeming to enter some kind of remission. Unfortunately, those would always turn around again.

It got to the point where I was picking up his 80+ lbs every time he needed to go out, and carrying him to the door. Sometimes he couldn't even stand up outside to pee. And then last week I found a huge, hard bulge on the inside of his thigh...bone cancer, which appeared virtually overnight.

So two days ago, we decided it was time, and I made the appointment for late afternoon.

Then...

I came home Tuesday late morning (after taking the two kittens we adopted to the vet...one may have to be put down, he's a Manx mix who got the spina bifida gene...they were from a stray female who lived outside our house over the winter, and yes, we've adopted all three and found homes for the other three kittens which believe me, wasn't easy in this economy) to find blood all over my house. Turns out our other Grey, Milo (you may have read about him here earlier; I posted his story that had been printed in a book called "Charlotte Dogs") had lost a toenail. Blood everywhere, poor thing. I wrapped his foot in gauze and an old kid sock...bled through two of these combinations, finally not through the third. Looks like a murder was committed here, there's so much blood everywhere.

So after all this, I took Trooper to the vet to be put down. It was so peaceful; he lay with his head in my lap and I patted him as he went...we should be so kind to people.

Then last night (Wednesday), Milo came downstairs to go outside, and when he stepped onto the floor, he lost TWO toenails!! Talk about blood! It's everywhere...I think one of the toenails is still half attached; he's keeping that foot in the air. But this morning at least the bleeding seems to have stopped.

So I did research last night, feeling so guilty because his nails are too long, I've been remiss about trimming them.

But I think he has something called SLO--I'm sure there must be a thread on here about it, since it seems to attack Greys more than some other breeds. And I remembered he'd lost toenails before...two at a time, once, when he was outside, and we thought he'd been running on the hard ground, but apparently not.

So now he and I have to deal with this...

...this has NOT been a good week for anyone!

Sorry for the long post, once I got started, apparently I just couldn't stop!

So sorry you are having such a bad time. But SLO is pretty easy to deal with after the first round of nail loss. I used nylon (baggy) dog booties as the last layer of covering while it was bleeding. He may loose them all-Arwen did. Then she went into remission and has been for years. Major surgery, months of chemo, being off her SLO meds for months at a time and she has not relapsed. She regrew nails but they are not normal or pretty.

How horrible it must be to deal with so much at once. After putting your precious Trooper to sleep, you really do need some time to grieve, but the stress continues. Please know that you and Milo and your kitties are in lots of thoughts and prayers!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thinking of you during what has been clearly a terrible week. Prayers for Milo and the Kitty...and I'm so sorry about Trooper.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am sorry you have had such a rough week. Sending good thoughts for Milo and your kittiy.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

That is an awful week. Sending best thoughts for all your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kdbeaar

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words and thoughts. It helps with Trooper knowing it was the kindest thing to do. And Milo's off to the vet this afternoon. And the kitten's getting his meds; we'll see how he does.

But the microwave shorted out.

The week drags on...

Guest UpperHandAndy

That really is an awful week - I'm so sorry you had to let him go. Best wishes and warm thoughts for you and your animal brood.

:grouphug