Dog Ingested Stytic Powder

My dear friend who also had greyhounds a few years back now has a pound pupppy. After she did her nails she needed to use Medistyp stytic powder to stop the bleeding. She did not notice till later the 50# puppy took the rest outdoors and ate it, a little more then a teaspoon. She ate the first day and them has vomited for 2 days. Called the vet and he said it should not be toxic to watch her. I am shocked they said that. Anyone know if this is toxic ?? How bad is it to ingest the nail clotting, stop bleeding, powder ?

I doubt a teaspoon would be a big deal. The ingredients are supposed to be inert and not harmful. I did some googling and got a quote from one site from a vet: "...it may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation (I would assume that's if a larger amount is ingested)." This was in response to the dog licking it from several nails at once, hence the remark about the larger amount.

I would be encouraging the dog to drink more than usual, to dilute it.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Not understanding why you were shocked at vet's assessment? Small quantity, large dog. The toxicity (or lack thereof) depends on the formulation of the particular powder. But, in that quantity, none of the formulations would likely produce more than mild, transient tummy upset in a dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.