Merlin Had A Relapse

The biggest issue with IBD is maintaining a very steady routine about everything - food, meds, behavior. Their body needs that iron-clad schedule to keep on track. If it was me, I wouldn't change anything. You know this bout was probably because of th vet visit. That stress is over, so he needs to be back on his routine.

:kiss2 for Merlin (and Sagan if you can sneak one in without Merlin seeing it!) and :grouphug for you!

I have to agree on the schedule. If doesn't meals are too far apart, the grass eating and gurgling starts. If I don't get food into him soon enough, then it seems like things just get worse. I know everyone suggests fasting - but he seems to start that on his own if things get bad enough. That's why, like you, Kerry, I'm suspicious of ulcers rather than IBD. It's almost like the stomach acid builds up if he goes too long without anything in there - or eats certain foods. He is on the Hills Prescription dry all the time now. I think I remember you saying that bread bothered Merlin, but I have found that a few bites of whole wheat bread seem to settle Dustin's stomach....I know it sounds crazy - but even the last time when he was very sick and had no interest in food, that was the one thing after 24 hours that he was interested in.

Dustin is not on a maintenance dose of the antibiotics...I just have a stash "in-case"....but if the Sucralfate can't hurt, then why not?

Hugs for that Wizard from us!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest LindsaySF

I wouldn't think an extra Pepcid would harm anything, but I don't know for sure. I would keep giving the Carafate.

One thing I would ask the vet about would be splitting the Pepcid into two doses, 10 mg every 12 hours. That's what Chase is on, so her tummy acids never get too high.

Good luck.

The biggest issue with IBD is maintaining a very steady routine about everything - food, meds, behavior. Their body needs that iron-clad schedule to keep on track. If it was me, I wouldn't change anything. You know this bout was probably because of th vet visit. That stress is over, so he needs to be back on his routine.

Interesting that you bring this up, Chris, because I did worry that feeding him his breakfast so late on Saturday morning (11am) was going to cause an upset. I had to feed him late because I had an appointment to have his Lipase levels checked at the vet at 9.30am, and they said that fasting him that morning would be helpful, so I did. It was almost 11am by the time we got home, and I thought I'd better feed him, so I gave him a cup. I wish now that I'd just had him skip a meal. But who knows if that precipitated the latest flare-up. Certainly the stress of the vet visit contributed to this, I am sure of that.

Thanks for the suggestion about splitting the Pepcid dose, Lindsay - I'll suggest it to my vet tomorrow.

Kerry, I'm just seeing this. I'm so glad he did well last night. Poor boy (and you, too). Is this something that will ever be "cured" and go away? Do they know what causes this? I hope your sweet Wizard's over the worst of it.

Thanks. Unfortunately there is no cure for IBD. You can only manage it :( But the more I read about other people's experiences, the more I realize that flare-ups out of the blue can and do happen even when the dog is on meds.

Merlin has been okay today, but he had bloody diarrhea this afternoon - which we were expecting. I gave him Sucralfate this morning and fasted him, hoping that tonight he would eat his meal (so that I can give him his Metronidazole, which needs to be given with food). Unfortunately his tummy is gurgling again and he isn't the faintest bit interested in eating. So I guess I can't give him his meds, which worries me. I did, however, give him some more Sucralfate about an hour and a half ago, and then a Pepcid a short while ago. At least he seems calmer than he was last night... he is sleeping against DH and he even grunted a little, which he NEVER does when he is in pain or distress. So I guess that's a good sign at least...

He was doing so well :cry1:( Sigh. I hate this.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Kerry....we're thinking of you...

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

:kiss2 for Merlin (and Sagan if you can sneak one in without Merlin seeing it!) and :grouphug for you!

I have to agree on the schedule. If doesn't meals are too far apart, the grass eating and gurgling starts. If I don't get food into him soon enough, then it seems like things just get worse. I know everyone suggests fasting - but he seems to start that on his own if things get bad enough. That's why, like you, Kerry, I'm suspicious of ulcers rather than IBD. It's almost like the stomach acid builds up if he goes too long without anything in there - or eats certain foods. He is on the Hills Prescription dry all the time now. I think I remember you saying that bread bothered Merlin, but I have found that a few bites of whole wheat bread seem to settle Dustin's stomach....I know it sounds crazy - but even the last time when he was very sick and had no interest in food, that was the one thing after 24 hours that he was interested in.

Dustin is not on a maintenance dose of the antibiotics...I just have a stash "in-case"....but if the Sucralfate can't hurt, then why not?

Hugs for that Wizard from us!

Nadir too gets worse if he is fasted, which is because of the build up of stomach acid. One thing that has really helped him as far as stimulating him to eat when he is off his food is just a 1/2 tsp of Manuka honey before his meal. I'm not sure how you would feel about using it in these instances though considering you are vegan. I would be happy to send you some though to try for the Wizard if you would.

Nadir too gets worse if he is fasted, which is because of the build up of stomach acid. One thing that has really helped him as far as stimulating him to eat when he is off his food is just a 1/2 tsp of Manuka honey before his meal. I'm not sure how you would feel about using it in these instances though considering you are vegan. I would be happy to send you some though to try for the Wizard if you would.

Judy, I've been meaning to read more about this after I saw a thread about it here. I haven't had much time to read up about the studies conducted on it. As for being vegan - as his guardian my responsibility is to keep him well and healthy, and I will do whatever it takes. I would be interested in trying anything that might help him if it has been tested and is proven to work... do you buy it online...?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Judy, I've been meaning to read more about this after I saw a thread about it here. I haven't had much time to read up about the studies conducted on it. As for being vegan - as his guardian my responsibility is to keep him well and healthy, and I will do whatever it takes. I would be interested in trying anything that might help him if it has been tested and is proven to work... do you buy it online...?

Kerry this is what I am currently using and have found the best price here.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/FL066/ItemDetail?n=0

I have also used the Y.S. Organic Bee Farms Raw Manuka honey which they also carry. I use the MGO rated now though because it is the best proven measure of it's strength.

I just opened up a new jar and still have the empty one just finished. I could put a bit in it and send it tomorrow for you to try if you like.

Guest Stripeyfan

Unfortunately there is no cure for IBD. You can only manage it :( But the more I read about other people's experiences, the more I realize that flare-ups out of the blue can and do happen even when the dog is on meds.

Merlin has been okay today, but he had bloody diarrhea this afternoon - which we were expecting. I gave him Sucralfate this morning and fasted him, hoping that tonight he would eat his meal (so that I can give him his Metronidazole, which needs to be given with food). Unfortunately his tummy is gurgling again and he isn't the faintest bit interested in eating. So I guess I can't give him his meds, which worries me. I did, however, give him some more Sucralfate about an hour and a half ago, and then a Pepcid a short while ago. At least he seems calmer than he was last night... he is sleeping against DH and he even grunted a little, which he NEVER does when he is in pain or distress. So I guess that's a good sign at least...

He was doing so well :cry1:( Sigh. I hate this.

Unfortunately this is all too true. Sometimes we know what causes Kelly's flare-ups, sometimes we don't. Sometimes they come on with no warning whatsoever, other times he'll get picky with his food or have hideous stomach noises and we'll expect a flare-up, only for it not to happen. Whatever, you can end up feeling really on edge (and the neighbours must think my interest in poop is wayyyy beyond unhealthy when they see me doing my daily inspections!:P). I've learnt to deal with the flare-ups as they happen and try not to think about them too much in between but it took a while. Sending LOTS of hugs to your Wizard (and a coupla sneaky ones to his bro when he isn't looking!). :grouphug :grouphug

I hope Merlin is better today! Fletcher's IBD isn't as severe as some on GT, but I have found the Manuka honey very helpful in managing flare-ups, especially if I catch it early.

As for causes :dunno sometimes I can pinpoint a cause, sometimes I have no idea, although stress and deviation from routine are two pretty common culprits.