No Hair On Bum...

Guest SweetFinish

Guest SweetFinish

I just want to say first that I am a newbie and I am so very thankful to have come across such an awesome forum. Its been so very informative. So... My girlfriend and I recently adopted two ex-racers. Both females. A fawn who we have named Nefertari and a brindle who we have named Angie. I was wondering if the hair on their rumps will grow back? My brindle girl has hardly any on the right side. Could this be because they were in a kennel most of the day at the track? It certainly doesn't make me love her any less but I want to be able to help if I can. Thank you so much!!

Guest Wasserbuffel

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I got one who came with a nice furry butt then went pretty near bald within a couple months. In her case, she was just blowing her track coat and it all grew back in - if a bit thinner than it had been. I'm sure others will post with more thorough and experienced information.

It has nothing to do with track life. No one know exactly what causes it. All of mine came straight from the track and some are bald and some aren't. Most of mine eventually grew hair but I still have a few that are just now groing hair after 7 years with me.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest DoofBert

The 'shiney hieny'might be improved now that they are in a their forever homes with a consistent diet. You might consider adding 1000 mg fish oil (ideally salmon oil) to their diet. I know the oil has sprouted what my hubby calls 'bum fluff'on our Bert.... so much so that he did not qualify for the shiney hieny contest at our groups annual picnic!!

BTW -- if really bald-- you might also want to consider sunscreen for the bald patches.....

Welcome!

A lot of people have had amazing results supplementing melatonin for hair growth -- you can search and find lots of threads. It's a normal greyhound thing and isn't related to track/kennel life, at any rate.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest SweetFinish

I didnt think of sunscreen but you are right. We do our walking at night since its full swing summer here in Florida. But they do go outside periodically through out the day for potty breaks. Thanks for that tip and I do remember reading about the fish oil on here last night. I do believe I will try this with them as well.

Bella's bum is still bald after a year + of trying salmon oil, melatonin, different food, treats that apparently worked for other greys..... DH is somewhat obsessed with this, I really don't care.

I have noticed that her bum generates a LOT of heat and wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest TexasGreytMom

DH and I always joke that the girls have "monkey butts!" We didn't realize how bare their back sides were until Mia (our mix) came into our lives. Compared to her, our grey girls are hairless! LOL!

Ours range in degrees of barebuttedness!!! Someone in another thread just posted bum shots of two of her hounds...Lady with so much hair that she has cowlicks, and Riley with hardly any!

I have the same range of baretumminess, too. My JJ has a very hairy chest and belly, EZ's is moderate as was my Jack's, and Dustin's hair is extremely thin!\

Welcome.....enjoy your beautifum bald-bummed hounds!

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest ravenchilde

Our grey Miley has a bald bum, tummy, and a patch of bald on the underside of her neck. We've tried Kelp, and fish based foods to no relief. She's grown some more wispy hair in these places since we adopted her on october, but nothing major. We think she just might stay bald. I've met lots of hairy greys on our city's greyhound walking club days, and lots of baldies. Nobody has found a solution up here.

Miss Isabella had a bald butt when she came home to me. Her stomach was also bald. Hair grew in on her butt, but her belly has stayed bald and she has the softest skin there. Welcome to GT!

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Myka still has has a monkey butt, too, though *some* hair is growing in, she's still mostly bald.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest SweetFinish

Ive noticed that Nafee has a little more hair than Angie does on her bum. Although Angie does have the cow licks..it just curls in two places and almost looks like eyeballs, haha! I think its funny. They both have very little hair on their bellies. I will have to post some photos soon. Thanks to all who posted replies.

Guest manawatugal

We got our first greyhound 4 months ago and he came with baldish bum and tummy. For the past 8 weeks I have been feeding a raw diet and for the past 3 weeks I have been supplementing him with 'My Beau' by Palamountains a pasty very absorbable supp for dogs (it's made in New Zealand). Now I don't know whether it is either of those things but I have noticed he now has quite a bit of hair on his tummy and a bit more on his bum. Could also be change of environment etc, he did move from south island to north island - who knows?

Guest Profgumby

sorry...but I just have to laugh as it struck me, from a guys perspective anyway, that this is the first time I have ever read about or heard about people wanting hair on a females butt!!! :D

BTW, or soon to be here Lady is a baldy too!