Thundershirts Vs. The Anxiety Wrap?

Guest ArtysPeople

Guest ArtysPeople

We've decided to buy either a Thundershirt or an Anxiety Wrap to try to help Arty with his thunderphobia, which has gotten worse since our move last year. Both are based on the same principle, are around the same price, and have money-back guarantees, but I can't decide which to try first.

I've read about success some have had with the Thundershirt on here, but I was wondering if anyone had used an Anxiety Wrap with a grey, and if they had any success. Please share your experiences with either product.

Thanks in advance!

Guest katethegreyt

I had the same dilemma! There aren't a lot of good Thundershirt vs. Anxiety Wrap articles out there, but the reviews were good for both. I finally just went with the Thundershirt because Amazon sold it (I have a prime membership, so shipping is super fast and free and returns are really easy). Amazon had the best price that I could find, $36 I think (free shipping too). We just got it a couple of days ago, but there are supposed to be some thunderstorms next week, so I'll let you know how it works!

The butt straps on the Anxiety Wrap are supposed to be helpful for some, but I would imagine some dogs probably don't like them. I think it's a little lighter weight than the Thundershirt, which could be a plus in hot weather.

The Thundershirt is quite easy to put on, and it seems well made. There is some velcro on the chest adjustment that could rub super sensitive dogs, but I've only read one review where that was an issue.

If you do decide on the Thundershirt, we went with a large for our girl. She is 72 lbs, 30.5" girth, and is 26" long. The large fits her quite well and would still work if she were bigger or smaller. It's basically just a stretchy shirt that you can adjust tightly. Some recommend trying out a homemade wrap with an ace bandage first to see if your dog will benefit from it. I figured I'd just order it and send it back if it didn't work for our girl. I have a hunch it will work for her though. Fingers crossed!

Alice makes a Storm Away coat: here

This does not fit snuggly. It has a silver lame' lining that somehow helps with the static charge in the air during thunderstorms.

http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/coats-to-help-dogs-in-fear-of-thunder/40791780-31b4-9fc9-ed45-f7f31aabb2ea

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest ArtysPeople

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I went with the Thundershirt in a size L (Arty's small for a male grey). Since I wasn't sure how ordering thru Amazon would affect the 100% satisfaction guaranteed process, I ordered thru the website, which is the same price as Amazon and you can find free shipping coupons online by searching "Thundershirt coupon." Fingers crossed that it arrives before the storms that are due at the end of this week, and that it helps our neurotic little guy!

I've had both and preferred the Anxiety Wrap as it was much thinner. I put the Thundershirt on Carl and took it off within 5 minutes. Carl runs very hot and it was w-a-y to thick and warm for his body. I honestly didn't see that they worked much for either of my dogs. I had an Anxiety Wrap for Kobie, it provided a small amount of comfort to him.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

• 3 weeks later...

Pulling this up to add some anecdotal stuff on the Thundershirt. I bought one a while back for our dog who is young and a little high strung...he was having trouble settling. I bought one to try out and found it helped him...on nights he wouldn't settle (no matter how much exercise he'd had) I'd put it on and he'd soon be sleeping calmly on the floor next to the sofa with us.

I only had to use it a few times as we worked with him on his anxiety/hyper vigilance.

But we're having a huge dust storm here tonight and the wind is blowing crazy hard. He was getting really worked up and starting to bark at shadows on teh walls so I put it on him and it really helped settle him again. There's apparently rain and thunder behind this dust so if we do get bad thunder I'll be interested to see how he does with it....

Anyway, I know it doesn't seem to work with all dogs and I don't think on it's own it solves everything but I've found it to be a useful tool for working through my dogs nervousness.

I actually had an amazing response with a belly band for one of my campers - I was surprised at how well it worked to calm him down!

I had no idea that Thundershirt supports the HSUS - pretty scary!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I actually had an amazing response with a belly band for one of my campers - I was surprised at how well it worked to calm him down!

I had no idea that Thundershirt supports the HSUS - pretty scary!

Supporting the Humane Society is a bad thing? I had no idea!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest UpperHandAndy

I was a little confused too - I looked up HSUS just to be sure I was thinking the same thing. I'm curious to see the response.

• 6 months later...
Guest prodogtrainer

We've decided to buy either a Thundershirt or an Anxiety Wrap to try to help Arty with his thunderphobia, which has gotten worse since our move last year. Both are based on the same principle, are around the same price, and have money-back guarantees, but I can't decide which to try first.

I've read about success some have had with the Thundershirt on here, but I was wondering if anyone had used an Anxiety Wrap with a grey, and if they had any success. Please share your experiences with either product.

Thanks in advance!

The Anxiety Wrap is the original patented pressure wrap for dogs, designed by certified professional dog trainer, Susan Sharpe. In a recent clinical research study conducted by veterinarian Dr. Nicholas Dodman at the University of Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine the Anxiety Wrap was found to be effective in 89% of study participants. Compare this to the 80% reported effectiveness of the Thundershirt. The patented design of the original Anxiety Wrap works in two ways, by 1) maintained pressure and pressure over acupressure points in the neck, shoulders, chest, belly, mid-section and legs. It applies more maintained pressure than any other product on the market today. For more information about the Anxiety Wrap see the company website: https://anxietywrap.com/default.aspx

Cindy Ludwig, M.A., KPA-CTP

Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner

Owner, Canine Connection LLC

Dubuque, Iowa

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I went with the Thundershirt in a size L (Arty's small for a male grey). Since I wasn't sure how ordering thru Amazon would affect the 100% satisfaction guaranteed process, I ordered thru the website, which is the same price as Amazon and you can find free shipping coupons online by searching "Thundershirt coupon." Fingers crossed that it arrives before the storms that are due at the end of this week, and that it helps our neurotic little guy!

The Anxiety Wrap, the original pressure wrap for dogs, also provides a 100% money-back guarantee.

Guest prodogtrainer

Have the Thundershirt and love it. I have not tried the Anxiety Wrap, however, I'm not keen on the "butt strap" part.

The "butt straps" are detachable. The original, patented Anxiety Wrap in my opinion is a superior product. It provides more maintained pressure than any other product on the market today and also works by applying pressure to acupressure points. For more information about the Anxiety Wrap, see the company website: https://anxietywrap.com/default.aspx

We started with the Anxiety Wrap to try to calm Hadji's separation anxiety. It is definitely not designed to fit a greyhound. You practically have to dislocate their legs to get it in. After the two of us trying to put it on him, all of us were in a much more anxious state. We returned it and tried the Thundershirt. It didn't seem to make any difference with his S.A., and as it was the middle of the summer in Southern Florida, I didn't like the idea of him wearing a coat.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest prodogtrainer

We started with the Anxiety Wrap to try to calm Hadji's separation anxiety. It is definitely not designed to fit a greyhound. You practically have to dislocate their legs to get it in. After the two of us trying to put it on him, all of us were in a much more anxious state. We returned it and tried the Thundershirt. It didn't seem to make any difference with his S.A., and as it was the middle of the summer in Southern Florida, I didn't like the idea of him wearing a coat.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Animals Plus LLC that sells the Anxiety Wrap offers FREE online support from certified professional dog trainers and also offers custom sizing. I hope you were able to find someone to help with your dog's separation anxiety.

I ended up with the anxiety wrap when I was deciding between the two and did not find this to be the case at all. :dunno

Just to reinforce what others have said, the butt straps are removable, and Amazon also sells the anxiety wrap. I actually have the one I bought for Violet that I only put on her once or twice but never got around to returning that I'd be happy to sell to someone. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest tejas_two

What size is your Anxiety Wrap? Why did you only use it once or twice? How much are you asking for it including S/H?

Do you think this would work for car riding anxiety?

What size is your Anxiety Wrap? Why did you only use it once or twice? How much are you asking for it including S/H?

Do you think this would work for car riding anxiety?

It's a size medium. I bought it to use for Violet's SA, but we found another solution for it and ended up not needing the wrap so I literally only put it on her to try it on. It may help with car riding anxiety, but I can't be certain either way.

Since you're new, I can't PM you. If you make some posts and get PM privileges, send me one if you're interested in the wrap.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 4 months later...
Guest Dbqdogtrainer

Thanks in advance!

I have not put The Anxiety Wrap on a greyhound yet, but I have put it on a number of other dogs with various anxiety-related disorders ranging from severe thunderstorm phobia to severe separation anxiety and I have found the product to be remarkably and consistently effective. I do recommend that you work with a knowledgeable professional and follow the manufacturer's recommendations, however. See this article for a thorough comparison of the various garments reputed to relieve thunderstorm anxiety.