Tapeworm Drugs

My vet gave Drontal. One pill when I brought Ivy home. I have no idea if you can get it elsewhere but it was cheap at the office.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest KennelMom

Drontal from the vet. Its praziquantel and I don't think it's available w/o a RX, but I've never looked too closely at TSC. If you're still battling fleas, a re-treatment every 3 weeks would be necessary due to the risk of reinfestation. If no flea problem and the dog only has tapes, one treatment is all you should need.

I FREAKED OUT the other day as I thought I saw tapes in some poop. Turns out it was just eggshells pieces :lol (not that tapes bother me....theyre easy enough to treat, but I'm always on guard against fleas!!)

Ah...I just remembered that you can get praziquantel w/o a RX I'd it's labelled for fish...look at "fish tapes" or "fish tapes forte"...hard for me to do all that on the iPad. We used to order "fish drugs" from Thomas Vet Supply.

Guest WhiteWave

You can get it over the counter. Praziquantel is the preferred drug for tapeworms. Used to be prescription only. http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/2954-Worm-X-Plus-for-Dogs.aspx

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/2482-Trade-Winds-Tape-Worm-Tabs.aspx

Other options. Iverhart Max from the vet. Runs around $30 in my area for a 6 month supply for a Greyhound sized dog. It does everything-heartworms, round,hook,whip, and tape in 1 pill.

Also you can use fish tape wormer, sometimes cheaper if you have multiple dogs.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/2484-Fish-Tapes.aspx

Depends on which type of tapeworms you are treating. The most common with dogs are the ones they can get from eating a flea. Those are the type that praziquantel kills. You can get it at TSC Here This is the brand I've been getting for 10 years for my fosters. Works in one dose.

Now if you've got a dog who has eaten some prey, like a rabbit, it is possible to get a different kind of tape worm. In that case different wormer may work including Safe Guard.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I use Zimecterin Gold

Active Ingredients:

Zimecterin® Gold: Ivermectin 1.55% and Praziquantel 7.75%

Of course it's a horse wormer so the dosage is majorly decreased when using it on dogs.

Easy to find at any tack or farm store and it's cheap

My vet gave Drontal. One pill when I brought Ivy home. I have no idea if you can get it elsewhere but it was cheap at the office.

Drontral isn't exactly cheap in my book but it works great. Susie McQuade used to say if her purse was stolen her greatest loss would be the bottle of Dontral....

Trudy, ask Wendy about getting wormer from AU. Pets Megastore has an 11 in 1 and lots of others. No script needed.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest KennelMom

yeah...drontal isn't cheap, but it WORKS.

Forgot about the horse wormer Heather mentioned...you can give it a try. It's cheaper than Drontal.

I use Zimecterin Gold

Active Ingredients:

Zimecterin® Gold: Ivermectin 1.55% and Praziquantel 7.75%

Of course it's a horse wormer so the dosage is majorly decreased when using it on dogs.

Easy to find at any tack or farm store and it's cheap

I think I saw that at TSC (if not, plenty of other feed/horse places around here).

Vet does Drontal and said I can only get that from them and I'd have to stop in for it, but she was sure TSC or feed store would have something cheaper as well since I'll need to dose all 3 even if it is only Abby and maybe T with tapeworms.

I used my Safe Guard goat dewormer liquid on Sol. Did also use the Trade Winds Tape Worm Tabs also. Considering a Greyhound's size & need for retreatment in a few weeks it worked out cheaper. I've used my horses paste wormer for the goat but have felt too confident about getting the correct dosing for the dogs. It's technically possible & I know folks who have done it safely. Just wasn't within my own comfort margin. Too much possibility of user error when I'm the user. :lol

OK, so are you confident they eat a rabbit? I'm not sure but thought they couldn't get tape worm for rabbit poo. Guess I should go look that up later to confirm.

Another one I have heard of is Cestex from the vet. It was about $50. Which is about what I paid for Drontal. I say cheap because it's one time and I wasn't having to go back again and again. :lol

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Praziquantel (Drontal) kills both types of tapeworms. Not sure if there is a cheaper wormer that kills tapeworms from eating carrion. But, neither type of tapeworm is catching from dog to dog -- no reason to treat unless you see worms in the stool.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

I get a generic dewormer from Joe's Pet Meds and all dogs have checked clear on fecals after dosing. Price isn't bad either. It usually arrives in about a week.

Here's the ingredient info:

Each tablet contains: PRAZIQUANTEL, PYRANTEL & OXANTEL Directions for use: 1 tablet per 22 lbs (10kg) of body weight. Tablets can be given whole or crushed into food.

Edited by eaglflyt

I researched the rabbit tapeworm last year, and apparently ivermectin is effective - easily had at TSC stores.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Please be careful using horse wormers from TSC unless you really know what you are doing. Overdosing your dog with ivermectin is very dangerous.

There are OTC dog dewormers available at pet stores and TSC that contain Praziquantel which is effective against all tapeworms and is safer than trying to self-dilute livestock meds.

As I recall, it was a paste with ivermectin and praziquantel that was mentioned in the study, I'll see if I can dig it up for you. We ended up going another route.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

As I recall, it was a paste with ivermectin and praziquantel that was mentioned in the study, ...

That wouldn't lead me to believe the ivermectin was the component effective against tape worms. Was there something else in the study that gave you this impression? As I understand it the praziquantel is now being added to some paste wormers because studies show many horses are infected with tape worm(s). (That's a bad thing for the horse btw since those wormy critters take up precious space in an already cramped spot of the horse's anatomy.) I am rather confident ivermectin is a nonstarter for tape worm control but if you find the study has any illuminating info please share it. Thanks.