How To Give Liquid Meds

The vet has prescribed some medicine for Bella that she has to take twice a day, 7ml each shot (not a trivial amount). Bella does NOT like the taste. Any ideas?! This is a long term thing.

Guest CampWhippet

We have to give our dog, Bella :) , 1.5 ml/day and she has a syringe that does not have a needle. Works great.

I had another dog that got it the same way and it is also how I give pepto to those with upset stomachs.

Guest TheDoggfather

eeeeeeyup... just like Jonathon said... take the needle off the syringe after drawing the meds, squirt it to the back of her throat then hold her muzzle closed. easy peasy.

Edited by TheDoggfather

OK... Tried that (vet gave me a huge syringe with no needle). Squirt it in the back of her throat and she spits it out / throws it up. Squirt in on her tongue with the same result. This is day two and she's already running from me... not a good long-term solution.

Hey, Dee, you might already be trying all this, but: I find that it helps to pretend the syringe is a pill. I stick it as far down the throat as I can so it's going *beyond* the back of the tongue where pup might taste it. Then also I have something -- peanutbutter, molasses, honey -- ready for the dog to lick. Shove syringe as far back as possible, squirt, withdraw hand, shove other hand or bowl with peanutbutter under dog's nose. If they're licking, they have to swallow.

If worst comes to worst, worth trying to mix the med with something like molasses or braunschweiger? Those both have strong tastes that can disguise some nasty stuff such that a few pups will just lick it all up, no syringe needed. Check with your vet before giving molasses, tho -- it's high in potassium and you want to avoid that in certain conditions.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think the biggest issue is the amount of liquid. 7ml is A LOT to just toss down her throat at once (tried that and she choked) so I do it in thirds which just prolongs the agony. I will try the PB idea tomorrow... kind of a "carrot/stick" thing.

Guest mommyx5

My greys hate peanut butter -- but with others it works like a charm. If the peanut butter works, awesome. I've had good success with agave nectar. or, mix it in with some raw ground round. sounds like a challenge.

Guest BiancasMom

If it is long term, is there a chance it can be made into a tablet or capsule? Easier to hide in food or put down the throat.

Guest Figmama

I've used a butterfly (I think it's called) syringe for years to dose cats and dogs with liquid meds. It has a slender, curved tip and you can git it right inside the back of the cheek and squirt it in. Works great. If you don't have one, ask your Vet for one.

Guest sheila

the only thing I can think of to try next is to find something that she will eat that is way too stinky and delicious to resist and put the med in/on it. Canned dog food, jack mackerel that kind of thing. The harder part of this might be keeping the other dogs away while you are doing this, so they may need a treat as well. Good luck.

Guest BrianRke

In the past i have mixed the medicine with some canned chicken or other irrestible canned food. Just make sure they lick the bowl clean.